Skip to content

Match day thread: Grimsby

Comments

• Spot on fed up. I can almost hear the expletives from our fishy friends now. 3 points, now jog on back to the social.

• @fedup1980 You don't have to wait until morning - it's in full swing already on Twitter!

I hope I'll always call us out when I think we genuinely have been unsporting, but without having seen the incident yet, sounds like the ref allowed us to play on and we simply played to the whistle. Nothing wrong with that surely? Of course we wouldn't have liked it had it been the other way round, but it's not cheating and it's down to the ref to make the call.

Grimsby lose any moral highground anyway after refusing to give the ball back at an attacking throw in, which goes to show most teams will abandon their principles if there's a sniff of a chance on goal. It's not particularly dignified, but alas that's just the way football seems to be played nowadays.

• edited March 2017

Grimsby fan here, thought it was disgraceful we didn't hand the ball back too. Two wrongs don't make a right. However, our player is knocked out unconscious for 10 seconds while Cowan-hall goes on a run and scores a screamer. Any hint of a head injury and play should be immediately stopped. It's the refs fault as much as anyones and if he didn't see it then there's nothing we can do. My main gripe is I don't understand why your players can't allow us to run through and score; you know sportsmanship? Where is it?. Are you that desperate for points? It's been done before in the past. Our players stopped and you could say play to to the whistle, yet when your teammate is on the floor knocked out, you have a duty of care and check-up on him so it's difficult. Its tough to take and I think we're within our right to be annoyed considering a scabby own-goal and a shite goal like that has decided the game and effectively ended our play-off hopes.

Anyway, best of luck for rest of season, i've nothing against Wycombe.
    A pissed off Mariner

• The rules are pretty simple and everyone has adapted to them over the past couple of seasons. Unless the ref blows its play on.
    I would be furious if I was a mariners fan but their ire should be directed at the official not the club car for example. That kind of action just reflects badly on a pretty decent club and set of fans.

• @jelly123 Cheers for that, looking forward (so to speak) to seeing footage of the incident for myself. I certainly didn't like it when Plymouth did similar to us last season (albeit without scoring) in a game that was certainly very poorly officiated.

Seems to be the same old story that the standard of refereeing at this level is shocking.

Best of luck to you too.

• Really don't see why we should have let Grimsby score..was not bad sportsmanship just a decision by the ref to allow play on and wwfc scored.

• Did the whole of Grimbsy team stop? I doubt it.
    Roll on the highlights where it'll be clear.

• Oddly Grimsby forum seems to be full of praise for Blackman, GA prowess with substitutions and tactical awareness to switch from failing 442 to more effective 433. No mention yet of post match interviews though.

• Video now on sky.

Classic own goal.

They didn't stop playing. Defender wasn't unconscious. Ref prob should have stopped it but play to whistle.

• Actually second view, take it back about unconscious. Bad reffing decision

• The directive was clearly brought it a couple of years back. That players should keep playing if a player is down injured, to stop players faking to stop play. It's then up to the referee to decided whether to stop play. I haven't seen it but any disputes should be with the referee. Next time Grimsby are given a dodgy penalty decision I'm sure they'll let the other team 'walk in a goal' to make up for it. Idiots!

• So having now seen the highlights, it's not quite as clear cut as the Grimsby fans would have you believe. The time from the knock-out punch to the goal is six seconds. During that time, one Grimsby player (and possibly the goalkeeper though it's hard to tell) is aware of what's happened and tries to call the ref but even he then moves back into his position. PCH doesn't see what's happened at any stage.

If the ref doesn't stop play, that's not our fault and, given that Grimsby's defence didn't look that bothered until after the goal is scored, I don't feel we needed to have gifted them an equaliser. It's unfortunate but it certainly doesn't justify the Trumpesque outpourings emanating from Lincolnshire.

• edited March 2017

Yeah I agree it's 100% the referees fault & maybe it's a bit OTT to expect you to gift us a goal, but if roles were reversed i'd genuinely expect us to do exactly that. A couple of players including the keeper we're clearly distracted, whether that would've stopped the goal who knows. I just see it as the morally correct thing to do, but I can understand your views too.

Nothing we can do now anyway, so enjoy the 3 points (or 6 over course of season lol) and best of luck for the rest of the season.

• Looking at the replay I can't even see the ref so guess he is in a decent place to see what had happened.
    Only saw one grimsby player running to the player ..rest was carrying on.

• Really? What's the fuss. The keeper doesn't punch his own player at all. The ref must also believe there's no valid reason to stop play and none of the Grimsby players run to the "unconscious" players' aid until after the ball is in the net.
    The player immediately moves when his teammate comes to his aid. Call me a cynic but I'd say he was taking it.

• faking it

• Take a look on Twitter at 'benny the docker' and his replies to the club tweets. The one about hoping the guy who was injured is out for the season is especially classy given since of the stuff they are saying about us.

• Twizz, he vomited 2/3 times during treatment afterwards. Our manager also confirmed he was unconscious and he was slowly coming round after the game. There's no chance he's faking it. Bit of a stupid thing to say when he's stretchered off.

Yeah, unfortunately we have a fair few idiots 'supporting' us.

• @jelly123 I've only seen the highlights, so unaware he vomited and was stretchered off. Happy to be corrected.

• Horrible incident, best wishes to the injured player. It's pretty clear from the video that very few player are aware of what's happening and PCH had his back to the lad and would have had no idea they had a player on the floor, so he's obviously not going to kick the ball out. One can only presume the ref didn't see it, as he has to stop the game if he did.

Extremely unfortunate for Grimsby, but it's unrealistic to expect us to allow Grimsby to score, as our goal was perfectly good and fair from our point of view, it's just that the officials should have stopped play beforehand.

• Looks on the highlights like another horrible refereeing decision. Hope the guy is ok. Didn't like seeing the other Grimsby player moving him though. So dangerous to do.
    Not sure how any of this is Wycombe's fault though. A decent win in difficult circumstances.

• Why on earth would we allow them to score? Luck and poor refereeing are part of the game. The game should have been stopped but referees make poor decision leading to goals all the time.

On the subject of giving the ball back when the opposition puts it out for an injury, I applaud Grimsby for taking the attacking throw. It is up to the referee to stop the game for serious injury not the players. The only circumstance in which the ball should be given back is if one team puts it out for an opposition player to receive treatment. If we were in the same situation as Grimsby today and gave the ball back to the opposing keeper I'd be furious.

• I disagree. Blackman had thrown the ball out as Muller was down and genuinely had a knock. To not return the ball was very poor sportsmanship, even a Grimsby fan who has come on here has admitted so.

• Just seen the highlights, the Cowan-Hall goal was a brilliant finish but that was terrible refereeing not to stop play immediately. The players nearest to Cowan-Hall played to the whistle as well (most likely completely oblivious to the injured player's plight as much as Paris) and the keeper was well beaten by the shot.

A bit sad that Grimsby chose to blame us rather than the referee who dropped a proper bollock in this instance. I'm sure the ref's assessors will be having a close look at that incident.

• @DJWYC14
    Blackman had thrown the ball out as Muller was down and genuinely had a knock.

Come on now, you know the rules - if a Wycombe player goes down, they are cheating and time wasting. No Wycombe player ever gets injured of course.

• Of course our Coventry telegraph friend will report it as Wycombe players savagely beat Grimsby player in order to score

• @Dickie said:
    Of course our Coventry telegraph friend will report it as Wycombe players savagely beat Grimsby player in order to score

You registered to say that?

• Don't bully Dickie you old fart.

• You leave my granddad alone!
    He's just likes to get to know new posters. Height, whether they're a nice chap etc

• @micra said:
    You registered to say that?

I thought it was quite funny.