Skip to content

Match day thread: Accrington

Comments

• Decent enough result tonight; shame that last minute chance didn't cross the line. Hopefully it's broken the losing run and our resident trolls can go back under their bridge until something bad happens.

And kudos to those who made the journey.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Couldn't agree more @MindlessDrugHoover although another long away trip to Grimsby on Saturday will be tough.

• The truth is that our football style under GA has not been good even when we were on the 16 match run. I am football savvy enough to know that you cannot always play expansive football and that you need more than one plan to win games.
    You do seem to jump on anyone who has an opinion about our current style of football under GA. As a fan I am happy when we win and pretty pissed off when we lose but I am sure even you would like to see us pass the ball around on the ground from time to time, and maybe have a plan B when plan A fails.
    This is not moaning but just being honest.

• Saying we play terrible football is not being a troll, amd not moaning when we are winning is putting up it because its the best of a bad situation and of course people will moan when we don't win, your lot wanna pull your heads out your arses i dont no what sort of football you exspect to watch with your hard earned cash but i exspect a lot better than this.....especially when we've got the players that can!

• That is a key point you make bigred. We do have the players who can but they are not being allowed to.

• Thank you some one else can see it

• You can also argue that if you're going to play with Bayo then (a) you may as well play to his strengths to an extent, such as the build ups to tonight's goals and (b) slipping through-balls to him as if he were Messi is unlikely to work. Early season playing with him in a 442 didn't work that well (Barnet at home...). He's leading scorer now and with little obvious alternative I don't see much changing at least for this season

• So the switch to 4-4-2 about 10 minutes before half time paid off, did it, or did we revert to 4-3-3 at the start of the second half?

• I thought we played 4-4-2 from the off.

• Back in my B&B seemed very much like our old non-league days tonight - that is not to say we didn't enjoy - not a disaster if we come back here next season

• Ainsworth said on 3 counties that we reverted to 442 in the second half.

• I'm well aware of the abuse whenever I add my comments but the fact is the squad is totally unable to play as a team should play, it's pathetic relying on one player to score the goals I agree we have good player's but management will not or is unable to see their talent its no good signing players on to the books then wonder how best to use them it's possible the reason for poor performance on the pitch is because they are pissed off! But then what do I know I'm just a glossy troll.

• Your inability to see any kind of nuance doesn't help your cause, and where were you when the team were winning every week? Anyone who says this is anything close to the worst they've seen Wycombe play is either deluded, very young or has a shocking memory.

• @brittanywanderer your case would be strengthened a little if it wasn't for the fact pre-Christmas one of the features of the team was that we WEREN'T relying on one person to score goals.

I do wonder whether Bayo's rich vein of form has led to a conscious or sub-conscious over-use of getting the ball to him quickly, regardless of the how.

• @brittanywanderer I should add I agree with your frustrations about us being less than the sum of our parts a lot of the time. This is where I think the role and importance to us of Paul Hayes is underestimated. Regardless of his own form, which is a bit up and down, I do think whenever he playing we do play better as a team

• @brittanywanderer Surely the fact Bayo overtook Scott Kashet as leading scoring last night is the only evidence you need to tell you we don't rely on one person to score goals. In fact I would say we are one of only a few sides with two players with double digit goals this season.

And what evidence do you have that players are 'pissed off' ??

• First half last night was awful, no passing no nothing just a long ball in hope the loose ball falls to one of our players, lucky to go in just 1-0 down.

2nd half we started brightly from the off, the total opposite to how we started the 1st half. The 2 finishes from Bayo were superb and thats what he can do, they equalised from the impressive Matty Pearson through another set piece, something we looked shakey on all night.

We could and probably should off won it at the end, couple of goalmouth scrambles and a goaly for them who looked a bag of nerves all game nearly gifting us the 3 points.

A draw does no one really, but it was a fair result in my eyes. The ref blowing up 90 seconds early for full time was a strange one.

• To be fair, a lot of Kashket's goals were down to a long ball being played out to Akinfenwa whose lay offs eventually reached Scott and made it into the back of the net. It was interesting reading the interviews with players in the run up to the Tottenham match, which combined gave a great insight into how the club operates. The Blackman interview contained the nugget that he had started rolling the ball out when he arrived, only to get a rollicking at half time and told in no uncertain terms to always kick it long to Akinfenwa. Route one football started a lot longer ago than Kashket's injury.

Hopefully with Southwell back we might try something different this weekend, maybe even a 442 with proper wingers and Saunders and O'Nien dictating play from the centre of midfield.

One of the most amazing things about Akinfenwa is his ability to play a full 90 mins twice a week, despite being so central to every attack we make. It beggars belief that Wimbledon constrained him to 20 min cameos so much last season. Having said that, I wouldn't be distraught if he were allowed a rest this weekend and we played Southwell and PCH up front with Harriman and Weston or Wood on the wings. Give us a chance of playing different football and see if we can manage it. If we can't, we could always do a Wimbledon and bring the Beast on for the last 20 mins to turn it around...

• Bean and Thompson back up players ????

You utter cock !!!!

• I've just seen brief highlights of the game and, based on the video evidence, I have to say I don't understand why none of our players, nor the commentators on the night nor anyone on this forum, complained about Stanley's second goal being offside. The goalscorer appears to have been a good yard or so offside when the free kick was taken, which allowed him to get round the back without a defender on him.

• It's a different player who doesn't challenge for the ball who is offside.

• @Uncle_T It's a pretty tricky commentary position at Accrington. Picking up offsides would be virtually impossible without a replay from a better angle. Recognising players at the far end is challenging enough too!

• edited March 2017

I fully expect abuse and cyberbullying for this post, but there are some things that need to be said. Week after week this season Opposition teams both HOME and AWAY have turned up and blatantly tried to stop us winning football matches. They tackle our players, sometimes foul them and even put the ball in the net. Gareth sort it out. Not only that but we are reduced to the sad spectacle of our players - yes Wycombe Wanderers players - trying to get the ball as quickly as possible up the field to our in form striker expecting him to score goals! Is this what League Two has come to? Shamefully five points off the play-offs? If only things could be like the MON/Smith/Sanchez/Gorman/Lambert/Waddock/Ainsworth days...

• @Wendoverman You're just a glossy troll.

• Thanks @Chris @bluntphil I've watched the clip on a larger screen now and, yes, it wasn't the player who started in an offside position who who scored the goal. It could still perhaps be argued that he did interfere with the run of the defender (Müller, I think) but probably few referees would have blown up for that and the assistant wouldn't flag as unlikely to see any interference from his angle on the side line.

@bluntphil Thanks for the commentary on Player. Good listening once I managed to get it working: tried more than one browser on my Android phone and couldn't get any sound, so eventually had to drag the old laptop out in order to listen. Missed the first half, but didn't miss Bayo's goals.

• @Chris #cyberbully

• @Wendoverman Cyberbullying? At least @Chris called you glossy...

• @Wig_and_Pen you're right I'll take glossy.

• I have no idea what a glossy troll is but I love the expression. Full credit to @brittanywanderer