Skip to content

Dave Tarpey

Comments

• TBF @Bluegasbag does have a very valid point. I don't think it would matter if we had Messi in the team, if the ball is humped over his head & he never sees the ball without looking skywards.

• Six games to go...I'll go out on a limb and suggest GA will stick with the players he has.

• I'd agree Tarpey probably wouldn't be a good fit and we wouldn't get the most out of him. I was just saying he looks head and shoulders above Southwell IMO.

• Tarpey would end up wearing a neck brace if he became a Wycombe player. If Ainsworth got us playing football on the floor (Which will never happen) Tarpey whould be a good addition to the team,problem is why would he want to join a team who use tactics that Graham Taylor used with Watford many years ago,no point signing for a club that doesn't play football that uses skills you possess and will waste your talent and negating your goalscoring threat to force you to playing the way we currently do which is anti football.

• @robin said:
    Tarpey would end up wearing a neck brace if he became a Wycombe player. If Ainsworth got us playing football on the floor (Which will never happen) Tarpey whould be a good addition to the team,problem is why would he want to join a team who use tactics that Graham Taylor used with Watford many years ago,no point signing for a club that doesn't play football that uses skills you possess and will waste your talent and negating your goalscoring threat to force you to playing the way we currently do which is anti football.

Shall we close the thread then?!?

• Absolute rubbish Robin, that is an insult to the late Graham Taylor. Taylor generally used the long ball but it had a purpose and was mainly played out wide to pacy wingers like John Barnes and Nigel Callaghan. Those tactics got Watford from the foot of our division to runner up in the old First Division (Premier) and into Europe. No way was that in any respect the crude hoof it methods that Ainsworth uses.

• Neck brace. Long ball. Hoofed. Anti-football. waste of talent. All done now, nothing else to see here....shut it down.

• So Wendoverman are you saying we don't play hoofball?

• Actually, given the comments today regarding our style of play, would interest me if we ran a.mini poll on what people thought regarding the worth of signing Saunders?
    For me, on the evidence of my eyes, I haven't seen much to conclude that he has been worth the fanfare preceeding his arrival. I do believe that it's because of our style rather than a down turn in his form.

• Good shout there mate.

• I've got nothing against sending the ball as we did for the second goal against Orient but I'd like to see it as part of what we do We have players that can distribute and play through the midfield We can't go down let's give it a try hopefully Gaz will let us finish on a flourish

• @Morris_Ital Maybe he'll "take the shackles off" the players like he did at this stage last season? Given how that worked out, maybe it's best that he doesn't...!

• We are still in the hunt for a play off spot so hardly likely to change anything yet.

• No I guess not

• If some people on here can't see the wood for the tree's and don't like reading the truth about the lousy football Wycombe have to play and want to shut this thread down let me help you steer away from it and just vent your feelings against me! I refer to my comment on march 25.

• @EwanHoosaami I've said before that I think that Saunders must think signing him was a waste too. He's got some games now so maybe he's feeling a bit better but at one point i could have seen him walking away to his clothing business in the summer.
    Interesting to see how he plays with Kashket. His running off the ball was as good as we have had since Beavon and if Sam can link with that it could be fun.

• @robin oh yes I know it's not pretty and I want to see wide players being wide and ball deliverers delivering balls as much as the next man...but at present we are playing to the aerial strengths of our main goalscorer (despite the fact he's also probably one of our better footballers!) and as others have pointed out...while we still have a chance of play-offs I don't see that changing much.

• For all this chat about how no one skilful/fast could work in our system blah blah, have we already forgotten a certain chap called Kashket?

He didn't find our system too difficult to rack up a motherload of goals in a short period did he.

• @Malone I agree, but he hasn't played for a number of weeks now and we haven't changed the system, nor to my eyes, even tried. Surely we could try to play a system that plays to the strengths of the personnel we have available?

• Akinfenwa, and 2 fast skilful types alongside him seems the perfect mix, and i'm sure one Ainsworth has tried to aim for.

I expect a lot of us, if we were picking a team would have Paris, Bayo, Kashket as that side of things, with Saunders, Gape and O Nien behind.

Looks all too easy on paper. But add in fitness, injuries, how you fit the club captain in and other issues, it's never easy

• Completely agree with front three @Malone and it has worked (after a fashion) I think had SK stayed fit PCH would have stayed a bit more focussed and been more consistent. It's also true @EwanHoosaami that without Scotty we have struggled and Bayo has saved the management's blushes in some games...not sure where Saunders' game fits in with a midfield three either. Hopefully Weston can stay on this run, Hayes and Bloomfield can be all Wycombey for the run-in and we'll have an exciting end to the season!

• edited April 2017

Just hope we can keep it alive beyond this weekend! It's got to be a win without any doubt.

• @Wendoverman Can we not play a 3-5-1-1 formation. Surely this would accommodate Kashket floating around Bayo, Saunders to be more "creative", play hoofball, have two wide men in Weston & PCH to "feed The Beast" from the touch line, also we might get a mixture of styles with some entertaining football thrown in?

• @EwanHoosaami sounds good to me...though my footy tactical know how is limited to 'what the hell was that?' and 'Who was that to?'..which is why I am not a manager. Poor quality coffee or poor quality hot chocolate my biggest decision on match day.

• Three at the back is flavour of the month at top level at present, but as I understand it usually played with the two wide midfielders being semi-converted full-backs. You seem to be suggesting a midfield of Weston, Onien,Saunders, Gape, PCH with Kashket behind Bayo. May I ask who you would be playing in the three man defence.

• edited April 2017

Pierre, Muller/WDH & Jombati (on the basis that Stewart is unavailable).

• I thought you play 3 centre backs when you think they're a little ropey and need an extra back there for security.

Therefore, could be the way forward if Pierre and Stewart go!

• So no Harriman OR Jacobson in the side............ Wow.
    And unless Weston and PCH suddenly develop excellent defensive capabilities, no wide defence of note.
    OK.