Skip to content

Match day thread: Crewe

124»

Comments

• The strange thing, is that I heard from a couple of people who are "very keen" if not insiders as such, that Bayo was initially brought in as the Plan B!

Hard to believe, bearing in mind he'll unquestionably be up there earnings wise, but even more so the way things have panned out.

He's such an "Only option" as the main striker now, with Hayes clearly not up to more than occasional moments, and Thompson having never been a main striker anyway!

Haven't heard anything on where Hayes is. Just one of his now frequent disappearing off the scene for a while spells

• Worth mentioning that, for all the accusations about our reliance on playing long balls, we've given a lot of goals away in the last couple of game messing around at the back.

I don't think anyone could have guessed how big a part Bayo would play this year.

• I think Plan A was Southwell playing off Hayes, with two of Weston, PCH and Thompson on the wings. To be honest I'd still love to see us try Plan A, just swapping in Bayo and Kashket for Hayes and Southwell.

I also see no reason why we can't accommodate Saunders in a midfield three though - the issue comes with the insistence we only play route one to Bayo. I think it actually demeans the Beast, assuming he's only good for long balls and crosses. I think he'd benefit from having the ball slipped through to him from midfield, and it would certainly benefit our very skillful central midfield players not to simply have to run round the pitch breaking up play and watching the ball sail over them.

• I think we really miss PCH. Hasn't even played his best football this season but he's a match winner and pure class at League 2 level.

Agree @aloysius Bayo is decent with the ball at his feet and I think Kashket, PCH, Saunders, Southwell etc would benefit with us playing off him like that.

• I hope management are reading this thread and get some ideas but alas I think it will only make them more confused than they are already.

• @brittanywanderer 100% a troll. Can't believe I got suckered in.

• Reading this thread, you would think we had had a desperate season, relegation inevitable. In the real world, it is less than 20 days since we led with five minutes to go at Tottenham, last week we were one game from Wembley and at 8th we still occupy a far higher spot in the league than we have any right to expect given resources.

Goodness knows what the reaction would be if we had a dull season hanging around 16th, no cup excitement, season already over.

Who would be a football manager in a world of "Championship Manager" experts?

Incidentally grapevine suggests that if QPR lose this weekend, they will have a managerial vacancy - just saying.

• You forgot to mention the Torquay game.

• ??? remind me!!

p.s. Don't turn in to Righty, peter.

• @DevC said:
    Reading this thread, you would think we had had a desperate season, relegation inevitable. In the real world, it is less than 20 days since we led with five minutes to go at Tottenham, last week we were one game from Wembley and at 8th we still occupy a far higher spot in the league than we have any right to expect given resources.

Goodness knows what the reaction would be if we had a dull season hanging around 16th, no cup excitement, season already over.

Who would be a football manager in a world of "Championship Manager" experts?

Incidentally grapevine suggests that if QPR lose this weekend, they will have a managerial vacancy - just saying.

I think its been a decent season so far the only issue is if we dont make the playoffs and go up some players will want to play a higher lvl pierre for example.

• A win on Saturday will re-ignite our promotion push. A draw and a good performance would be OK if we can back it up with a win next Tuesday. A poor performance and a loss and I think we might struggle to make the play-offs.

• Why are people always touting QPR as a possible route for Gaz?

They have loaded owners who surely don't give a toss about an ex player, and will always pick a Hollywood name.

The John Gregory situation, aka modest lower league success securing a huge (at the time) Premier league job based on his previous role there will always be a very isolated example

• The last five managers of QPR have been Holloway, Hassalbaink, Warnock, Ramsey, Bond. Hardly outstanding and successful managers.

• Warnock has more promotions than any other manager doesn't he?

• I hadn't noticed that people were always touting QPR as a possible route for GA.
    It's probably because he used to play for them and even had a brief spell as caretaker manager. Just saying.

Having displayed blinding insight on that topic, I now move on to the more taxing task of advising our physically and mentally exhausted management team on how best to organise available midfield resources. In keeping with established policy, mystery surrounds the injury status of PCH. This makes my task difficult but, in keeping with my oft-repeated suggestion, my advice would be to wind the clock back a couple of seasons and play Sammy Wood wide left and PCH (if fit) wide right.

Happy New Year Trevor.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I will wait for Richie, our man in the know, to confirm situation before getting my hopes up!

• Ha @mooneyman I was tempted to write the very same thing if Richie ain't called it it's fake news

• I'm going to pin my faith on @fame_46 (or was it @fame46 ?). If I see GA I'm going to insist that he plays 4-4-2 on Saturday with PCH wide right and Woody wide left.
    You'll be chanting @micra from the rooftops.

• Only if we win ;-)