Skip to content

Match day thread: Crewe

Comments

• Poor by Sido. Even if he didn't foul him it's just stupid to get your arms all over someone like that in the box.

• Watching the highlights it probably looks like a penalty, you can't put your arms all over the defender.

I actually said to my son on Saturday at Stevange, Sido needs to be careful as he was doing the same at corners in the first half at Stevenage. Most refs won't give these, but you will come across the odd one that does, and by the letter of the law it is a penalty.

It sounds like last night was a better performance, and we didn't get the luck you sometimes need.

Need to get behind the team on Saturday and make sure we get something from the game.

COYB

• The team need to show a bit of character and mental strength to get back to winning ways on Saturday. It will be a very interesting game. COYB!!!

• Pen looks soft to me. Sido has an arm on the guy's shoulder but there's no sign of a push or trip that I can see. It is a bit naive of him though.

A few things specific that cause concern at the moment:

• It may just be coincidence but Blackman seems to be making a few too many errors at the moment. His kicking was absolutely atrocious on Saturday, which is a big deal when our main weapon is a ball into Bayo to flick on. Crazy pass to Gape for Stevenage's third. The first goal tonight looks like another error to me.
    • One of the things we suffered with early in the season was a lack of pace. With Kashkett half fit and being pulled back to do a defensive job, plus PCH and Weston injured we lack runners in behind.
    • Away form has gone to shit again.
    • Don't seem to be sharing the goals around well. Very few goals at the moment from anyone other than Bayo and Kashkett.

I think if we can stay relatively injury free the team is still good enough to finish in the top 7 but we need to address some of the above.

• Not sure quite how those faults, if faults they are could be "addressed."

Blackman is the only keeper we have. If he has a dip in form, he will have to play through it.
    The players playing and those on the bench are all we have. If we have no pace, no pace is what we have.
    Away form "shit" and not enough goals - I am sure the management have already thought of the idea of scoring more goals and winning more points away - how to do so is the question!

It may well be a tough rest of season. Injuries and tiredness appear to be taking their toll.

Hard to come up with a formation to accommodate Saunders effectively as well as Gape and ONien, when pretty much the sole threat up front is Bayo, who thrives on long ball but will never again be a mobile CF.

• Call brown back is an option

• Loan rules not your speciality Ritchie!

Brown can only be called back in the event of an injury to Blackman, not because of form. Rules are on line if you want to read. (they explain why we couldn't get Joe Hart in instead of Alex Lynch for the playoffs too)

• @DevC - the formation to accommodate all three midfielders is surely simple: stick them all in midfield?

Gape just in front of the back 4 (if he stays there which he struggled to do on Saturday) Luke breaking up play and moving forward when he can, and Sam picking passes. I'd much prefer Saunders played there, than trying to fit him out wide, as he doesn't have the pace he once had.

• On Blackman, was anyone watching his practice throws before kickoff against Spurs? Barry Richardson standing ten yards into the other half of the pitch pointing to where he wanted the ball thrown, and Blackman hitting the spot every time. With such a huge and accurate throw, I'm surprised we're not making the most of it during matches.

• I don't see a huge number of games, so may be out of line here, but.....

Not sure what you are suggesting.

A 433 with Bayo leading the line in an attacking context needs the ball to go sailing over the heads of the three midfielders (limiting Saunders effectiveness in an attacking sense - (as an aside offensively is not a word n English - resist this americanism!) and in a defensive context the three midfielders have to charge around like looneys doing the job of four - not really Saunders strength.

Or a conventional 442 - in which case which of Saunders or Onien plays wide and really does Saunders creativity mesh with Bayo's strengths

or a 442 diamond - still same issue with Saunders key skills not meshing with Bayo's strengths.

or Saunders playing as one of the front three - but not sure he is a forward.

Could you spell it out for me please. I cant quite work it out.

• @DevC I think even Ainsworth is still trying to figure out where Saunders fits in to the side!

• Brown can be called back at anytime he is our player and has nothing to do with injury !!!

• 53.1.2 any recall clause requiring the early termination of a Standard Loan can only be included in a full Season Standard Loan and this can only be activated during the second (January) Transfer Window;

55 Emergency Goalkeeper Loan

55.1 If all the Professional Goalkeepers at a Club are unavailable as a result of having been:

55.1.1 certified by an independent medical practitioner as being unfit to play;

55.1.2 suspended; or

55.1.3 called up to play for his national association representative matches in accordance with the requirements of FIFA as laid down from time to time,
    a Club may register (either before or after the deadlines laid down in Regulation 41.6 and 41.7), a further goalkeeper on a short term basis in accordance with the following provisions.

• Thats if we want to sign one on loan not call our own player back - he has a 24hr recall clause

• I really can't stand the moans and groans every time Blackman makes a mistake, all it does is further dent his confidence and contribute to further mistakes. Get behind the lad!

• Ok Ritchie. I'll ask the club secretary to consult you on the rules rather than rely on the Football League published rules. Quite why they didn't do that for the playoffs too, I have no idea.

• Our fans worrying need to have a scapegoat seems to have moved its ugly head onto Blackman now, following spells on Bloomfield, Wood and Hayes.

I was very interested to see the replay of the penalty call, having read on twitter what sounded like one of the most outrageous calls of all time, leading our manager to lose his cool and be sent off, not to mention Jombati going wild at the final whistle.

Watched it, he piles through a player going away from goal from behind!
    Stupidly ill advised challenge, and not surprised the ref saw it as a foul!

• As for Saunders, surely playing him ahead of Gape and O Nien is the only solution, and should encourage us to play a bit of football when we have the chance.

It's harsh on Wood, who has done a decent job there after busting back into the team, but Saunders offers more.

• You see far more games than me, Malone, but assuming you mean playing Saunders in an advanced three with O'Nien and Gape rather than instead of one of them, not sure a) Saunders has the work rate defensively or b) the preferred (only?) only attacking ploy of hoof it to Bayo gives him much scope attackingly either. Not sure Bayo strengths need a midfield general to be honest.

Re the video, first goal nine out of ten times forward will go low and across, Blackman did pretty well at that speed to get his hands to it at all. If we must have a culprit, poor control and then a half hearted challenge from Jakubiak more responsible. Incidentally how coordinated he would have been last year with those boots and last years away kit.

Penalty looked soft to me.

• Not a penalty but I can see why it's been given.

Poor from Jakubiak.

I'd have Saunders in a midfield three with Gape and O'Nien. But I wouldn't expect him to be able to start twice a week.

• Why JJ and Cleary when so many more important / interesting points that could have been raised? Just two - Pierre having trouble with his ankle again; Gareth Ainsworth getting 'sent off' but wasn't he shaking hands with Artell pitchside at the end, could he be in trouble for that?

Very poor control from Jakubiak, weak challenges from him and someone else (couldn't see who) and then JJ diving in before the first goal - all equally guilty as Blackman?

• Blackman "gets done" a lot from that tight angle, couple vs Spurs and this, maybe its the area he needs work on, but if its smashed at him from close range, don't see what else he can do?

• Jamal is a good young goalkeeper who is going to get caught out and make some mistakes, but by the same token he is often very proactive in successfully playing it out from the back and has made some great saves this season. Hopefully we are going to get back to grinding out a play-off place and people can avoid scapegoating a player or a captain during the game!

• Can't blame Blackman for the first really. Poor from Jakubiak and poor attempt at stopping the man from JJ.

• @DevC - When this system worked well before, it was by having the ball rushed to him so he could lay it down to an oncoming midfield. I've won the Champions League many times on Football Manager, and see Saunders working well in that. Picking it up to slip the ball through the Kashket and PCH, lovely.

• What about a 4-2-3-1
    Usual back four
    O'nien and Gape
    Weston/Wood left
    Saunders/ Kashket attacking midfield
    PCH/ Harriman right
    Bayo lone striker

• @fromtheside , apart from the fact he's dealt appallingly with the shot?

• The problem is having little width in a 4-3-3 meaning straight long balls to Bayo which are hard to get any luck out of, also bypassing the midfield where you have an extra man. We have seen JJ and Sido have luck crossing from wide to Bayo on many occasions,so why not play out and out wingers to get crosses in to Bayo. With an attacking midfielder behind Bayo we would have the ability to link with the big man to create chances that way. All the time you have the solidity of two holding midfielders who we now have the luxury of picking O'Nien and Gape who certainly have the ability of finding the wide men. Defensively this year our full backs have sometimes been overloaded I can think of Accrington at home early in the season where JJ was being roasted so by having wingers we have greater cover in these areas aswell.

• @Youser_Name against spurs the first goal you refer to took a deflection and the second one was going wide until JJ's intervention

• @Malone it was a good strike from the guy. As I said you can look at the ball being given away and the attempted tackle from JJ first.