Skip to content

Match day thread: Coventry (EFL Trophy)

124»

Comments

• There seemed to be acres of space around George Thomas when he scored Coventry's second goal. I did wonder if that could have been in part a result of a lack of understanding between Will De Havilland and Joe Jacobson who have not played too many games together.

• Not sure Will can be blamed for that one. JJ allowed Thomas to drift off him and then compounded that by misjudging the flight of the ball; initially moving towards where it was coming from, when a couple of steps backwards would have put him in the right place.

To gve credit where it's due, it was an excellent cross and a very good finish.

• The pace on the cross complete fooled Joe. He, and the rest of us, thought it was an easy unchallenged clearance but it carried on over his head. Maybe he should have judged it better but it looked a fairly understandable error based on the quality of the ball in.

The pitch last night really was awful wasn't it.

• Pitch was certainly a reminder of how Adams park was when the egg chasers was there..

• That wasn't the greatest games of football was it, don't think there was much between both our teams and if we would have played for another 10 minutes I could have seen you back in the game with Akinfenwa causing us big problems. You are right, the pitch was an absolute shambles and didn't help either side, (do you fancy taking the insects back from us....please?) it was even worse close up and being on the pitch at the end. It probably did look a little embarrassing from your fans perspective but this is literally the biggest success we've had in 30 years so I think we've decided to embrace the opportunity to get to the final, certainly nothing i've been able to experience in my lifetime so that probably why we ran on the pitch like we'd won the league.

Anyway, just popped by to say big up to your support last night. Wasn't a huge number but thought you lot were very vocal compared to most away fans I've seen this season, spoke to a few of your fans before the game in the pub....top top guys, one who was a little worse for wear but funny all the same. Hope he got into the ground and you all got back safely. All the best for the rest of the season.

• @CCFCDan Cheers for that, as a club who've had our own ownership issues in the past I think a lot of us feel for you in your current plight, and your insect infestation is another experience we have in common.

I'm interested in what you think might explain the remarkable difference in your form between the Trophy and the League? Anyway, here's hoping we're playing each other in League 1 next season, and good luck in the final - we'd be happy to see you give either of the other two a good beating.

• I'm not sure to be honest, I guess its just that we have been playing either U23 teams or other teams who may have made drastic changes in their regular line up, I feel maybe if Akinfenwa had started the game we may have struggled to cope to the whole game? Certainly looks like we've been playing without any added pressure that the league brings.

Hopefully we remain in the league and we get to visit again but its looking unlikely we will stay up. I've not really had much to do with Wycombe before but with meeting some of your boys last night they seemed top fellas. Seems your fans really could also do with good things coming your way this season.

• @CCFCDan Sorry about the 'pests' they were imposed on us as well and them leaving was one of our first steps to recovery.I was talking to a guy who did some work at the Ricoh and he said the turf was like a bowling green prior to the egg chasers arrival so you have my sympathy on its current condition but keep the faith as the turf will be eventually replaced and the upper class thugs have a history of moving on.

• Coventry supporter here, we've actually gone 47 years without a top 6 finish and have been through shit you wouldn't believe, so yeah, acting like we've reached the Champions league final but I'm sure you'll understand why!

Signed up because I didn't think I could let the graciousness of your support or manager in defeat pass with out a word of praise, (arse with obligatory blitz comment aside).
    It's great credit to your club, all the best for the rest of the season.

• @CCFCDan and @clintvandamme - great to read comments like yours regarding our fans (with the inevitable odd exception) and our ever-gracious manager. Very much appreciated.

• I'm still struggling to get over the extended moaning last night from Wycombe supporters.

Perhaps i was unlucky but the four lads behind me carried on all game like supporters of a team with no wins from 15.

Choice quote 'the problem with Ainsworth is when it comes to the crunch, he always lets you down'.

• I've not forgiven Gaz for letting us down at Torquay yet.

• @arnos_grove that's Wycombe fans for you.

• @arnos_grove to be fair a fourth round fa cup tie, cup semifinal and a chance of promotion is pretty poor for a league two side of our size and financial muscle. Smell the coffee the wheels are off as I think I predicted in April with my enigmatic post 'I'm feeling quite confident '

• Anyone know how many Chairboys were there last night in the end?

• Football is very fickle in general your only as good as your last game ive heard a few managers say. You cant please everyone but i think even if your not an Ainsworth fan you would have to say hes doing a great job this season.

• Doing a great job and Feb is a real test for us now. The team spirit looks amazing and some real leaders in that dressing room.

3rd place very much within our reach currently so let's enjoy the next 3 months.

• Anyone know how much the club made from the EFL trophy tournament

• Not including gate receipts, which up to the Coventry game would probably have been fairly negligible, we got £130,000 in prize money.

• 2 x group stage wins = £20,000
    2nd round win v Millwall = £20,000
    3rd round win v Blackpool = £40,000
    4th round win v Mansfield = £50,000

• Sure sky reported it was 200k.

• Yes I agree, I certainly head them say that but it was almost an aside remark without detail. Just infill I guess.