Skip to content

Match day thread: Coventry (EFL Trophy)

Comments

• Gutted not to be going to Wembley :-(

• Actually... This is the most positive thing that has happened to cov in over 40 years. They haven't even seen a top 6 finish in that time. Let them enjoy it I guess.

• At least they have got a day out at Wembley as partial compensation for their relegation.

• Well, apart from winning the FA Cup in 87 @bill_stickers

• Decent second half performance but the damage was done by then. Whoever wins out of Luton and Oxford I hope City destroy them in the final.

• @bill_stickers said:
    Actually... This is the most positive thing that has happened to cov in over 40 years. They haven't even seen a top 6 finish in that time. Let them enjoy it I guess.

It's the best thing to happen to Coventry since the blitz.

• @bill_stickers said:
    Actually... This is the most positive thing that has happened to cov in over 40 years. They haven't even seen a top 6 finish in that time. Let them enjoy it I guess.

No top 6 finish in 40 years!!!!!! Can that really be true? I pity them if so.

• Very poor first half and always chasing the game after that. We certainly missed Pierre.

• I wouldn't be surprised if there were 70,000 at Wembley for the final. Personally I am disappointed that we are out and can completely understand Coventry making a big deal over this. I don't think they've been to Wembley for 30 years which is something we shouldn't forget - who knows when we will get to play there again?

• I thought Wycombe did really well second half. A trip to Wembley would have been nice but I found the reaction a tad mind-boggling. I've always seen the trophy as a bit of a nuisance.

• Missed Gape massively in the middle. Move on to Saturday and another 3 points.

• Just listening to Russell slade being interviewed. They know they're the team in the higher division, right? They've only just managed to bit little old Wycombe....!

• Frankly, a bit concerned for Saturday with the injuries and obvious flatness of the squad at the moment. We'll have to try our second string and roll the dice.

• Gutted massive chance missed didnt turn up 1st half. Fair play to Coventry showed how much it meant to them at the end. On to Stevenage satuarday

• Weston best? I thought he was probably one of the worst performers...

• I thought Harriman, Thommo and Bean were all worse than Weston. Defence did not cover themselves in glory in first half either

• Gutted! Would have loved to have got to Wembley. Good luck to Coventry though, they deserved it. We were pretty poor on the night, too many players had a bad night, Harriman in particular was off form. Tough game on Saturday, with players missing or carrying injuries, we'll need to show some real character.

• Managed to watch it in a bar in malta, they put 3 games on... Barca Roma and Wycombe! No sound but couldnt complain well until i seen the team...

Disappointed as i'd of loved to take my family to wembley, but wasnt a great fan of the competition at the start!

Back home for crewe away and then taking her and the baby the Carlisle game, thats something to look forward too, first home game for both of them.

• Gape, Wood and Pierre all to come back Saturday. Assuming Pierre is fully fit. Bayo, Kashket and Jakubiak as a front 3. Job done.

Thought Weston was ok tonight, much better second half. Harriman, Bean and De Hav didn't have their best games.

• You know, I'm feeling so flat but it make you realise what a fantastic job Gaz does with the team in keeping them competitive and positive (apart from 60% of tonight's match). Onward to Saturday and Stevenage.

• Bad luck lads can't win them all. Roll on Saturday.

• I am actually pretty gutted. Okay it is a tin pot trophy but what other trophies can we realistically win at our level. I thought based on form and the dire situation at Coventry we would win. I also thought Gareth would start with his strongest line up but making the changes he did left us disjointed and some of those players weren't sharp. Given the money available and the moral boost of a wembley trip I would have thought Gareth would have prioritised this match over the league but it felt like he considered it a 'nice to have'. Just a bit gutted, getting to the semi in this competition feels a bit pointless.

Fair play to Coventry, I thought that being at home would be a disadvantage but their fans were really behind the team and they made a great noise at some points. A couple of idiots throwing things but they did get booed. They had a couple of players who looked a bit difficult for us to handle but mainly they got men behind the ball and made it difficult for us to create chances.

• There were plenty there last night.

• Akinfenwa changed the game as ever, even when he's only half-fit and even less able to run around than usual.

Jacobson was great again. Blackman's clearances were below par - perhaps it was the state of the pitch, perhaps it is a confidence thing. Stewart looked solid and at times composed on he ball, although I agree that we missed Pierre immensely. Saunders is a class above; if he stays fit and Gape and O'Nien are there to do the running I think we'll be in the playoffs. A full strength Wycombe side would probably have won the game - but then injuries do have a disproportionate impact on a small squad, especially with the run of Tuesday night games.

Beavon is such an entertaining player to watch.

• It's good that some people are unhappy with the result. Otherwise I had come to think that the (self) righteous had inherited the earth.

• It's perfectly possible to oppose the format of the FTL this season, be angry and worried about its implications for lower league clubs and still be upset the team lost in the semi-finals. Not everything in life is black and white.

• Its also no surprise to see the state of their pitch, similar to ours when Wasps played here. A constant in the football club failing on the pitch?

• The pitch was really awful and a real throwback to our days of sharing with Wasps. It was simply impossible for the players to control or pass the ball. In the end we had no choice but to keep lumping up to the big man as it was the only way of doing anything remotely dangerous.

Decent footballers like Saunders and Kashket struggled to make any kind of contribution whatsoever.

For me, sharing with a rugby union side is a false economy - not that Coventry have much choice - and the main thing i took out of last night is thank god we don't have to anymore.

• On the pitch and off the pitch it seems @Youser_Name

• Well said @MindlessDrugHoover Sums it up well.