Skip to content

Gape and Blackman

Comments

• Think I'm happy with the judgement of Gareth & his backroom staff, given their track record. They clearly rate Blackman, (think I can see why after the Cheltenham Town game), over Brown, so that's good enough for me.

• It's the low stuff (the Kashket type finishes and the point blank scrabbles on the deck)that Jamal has most trouble with (witness the Portsmouth league game and Plymouth) but his great height and reach more than compensate for this most of the time and the way he commands the box and his intelligent distribution make him one of the best 'keepers in League 2.

• As a tall guy blackman will have the best chance of making saves high up but as it has been mentioned it's the ones low and close that he struggles.

• John Cheesewright struggled with both !!

• I'm not sure I believe that £13k a week story in the Express. Seems waaaay in excess of his current abilities to me, even accounting for the crazy wages some footballers enjoy.

• It is true.

• @rmjlondon , i suspect that was more due to the fact the penalty area was an uneven mix of bog and sand!
    It's pure sense not to put the ball into that area if you don't have to!

• Gape just tweeted saying thanks for a great 4 months at Wycombe Wanderers. Really hope we can keep hold of him somehow.

• If he's said that, it seems pretty certain that he is moving on.

• "What a fantastic 4 months. Thank you Wycombe Wanderers, a very special club."

• M3GM3G
    edited January 2017

I would imagine GA has something lined up as a replacement. Sad to see him go if indeed that is the case. Maybe Saints want him back for a reason. Would be good to see him in a match-day squad for them.

• I would argue we have a ready made replacement (albeit not as good obviously) in Danny Rowe.

• @Jonny_King I 100% agree with you on that one.

• Although Gape staying would be the preferred option.

• Sam Saunders is on the move apparently...

• I would love it if we could get him again, but I'd be very surprised.

• Agreed Rowe is quality, but prefer to keep Grape. My main concern is Bean starting again.

• I'm genuinely devastated, really did think it was a given but after hearing GA last night talking about still trying I had a feeling the decision had already been made. Pass me my revolver matron, I'm going for a walk in the woods!

• Don't really understand why you are so downhearted. Gape is a good player but it was more important to keep Blackman. We have cover in Gape's position and who knows Gareth might be able to get another loanee in just as good.

• @Bacon_Sandwich said:
    Agreed Rowe is quality, but prefer to keep Grape. My main concern is Bean starting again.

Were you hungry when you posted this?

• I just fancy a bacon sandwich followed by the healthy option of a few Thompson grapes and a Muller yoghurt.

• edited January 2017

Apologies to @Cyclops ( and Max of course) for the omission of the umlaut. Couldn't be arsed.

• @micra Do you like your Bacon Sandwiches on Brown Bread?

• @wformation said:
    micra Do you like your Bacon Sandwiches on Brown Bread?

Definitely. Also like Brownies as an unhealthy alternative to yoghurt.

• Herring Ro(w)es are also healthy of course.

• Jacobson cream crackers should fill the Gape.

• I think Gape had a cracking game yesterday winning the ball and passing it intelligently to the forwards.
    However I do think that his presence is stifling the development of Rowe and maybe the short term loss of Gape would give us a better player in Rowe in the coming months and years. We certainly have plenty of cover in the centre of the park with Bean, Bloomfield etc

• I still think Danny Rowe is a better centre back than midfielder at Wycombe. I think he lacks a bit mobility wise for the current system. Gape has been excellent recently at covering the pitch, winning tackles and turning the ball over.

Would be great to see Rowe develop in to a great player for us. I just wonder if the balance between short and long term will allow it, especially with a bit of an injury record.

• Freeman is also back, couldn't get in at Wealdstone.

• @rmjlondon , he didn't play there? That'd be a bit worrying.