Skip to content

FA to appeal thiefa fine

13»

Comments

• edited December 2016

[deleted], i've decided against arguing on the internet today.

• LX1LX1
    edited December 2016

Fair enough it was an arrogant thing to say on reflection.

To clarify I was not suggesting people who agree with the fine aren't football fans, it was just a cheap pop at DevC, and taking exception to his use of the word 'we'

• Fair enough LX.

• I'm also uncomfortable with the recent association of the poppy with nationalism.

Dev has presented a coherent and logical argument. The last thread on this subject was treated with sensitivity by all posters and was a high water mark for Gasroom 2.0 IMHO. Unfortunately we've seen a lazy return to Dev baiting in this one.

• @bill_stickers I replied to your pm today. Call me when you're ready.

• The ban has nothing to do with the symbolism of the poppy and everything to do with the relationship between the FA and FIFA. Our friends in Switzerland think the FA is awkward arrogant and self righteous and the FA believe FIFA to be inherently corrupt. When it suited FIFA to look the other way on the wearing of poppy armbands they had no problems in doing so but last years corruption scandal and the FAs glee at the downfall of senior officials has left a lingering resentment of the home nations in what's left of the organisation and this is an opportunity for a bit of payback

• You have to feel sorry for the woman in Singapore with the twitter account @fifa. 'I am not a football association' haha

• @DevC said:
    I am not sure I have an awful lot more to add, LX, apart obviously from apologising profusely for not being available at all times to respond instantly to your demands.

You may too want to reflect on whether the personal abuse dished out on this thread (Micra even called me a lawyer - bastard!) in response to someone daring to have a different opinion to yours on this subject is compatible with the freedoms those who thought the second world war sought to protect. You may particularly wish to reflect whether your apparent suggestion that those who disagree with you are not fit to regard themselves as British is compatible with those values.

• 1st para above: - [not sure why my laptop didn't let me comment before posting]
    You did have an awful lot more to add as it turned out. Hence my editing.
    2nd para: I didn't call you a lawyer DevC - not even a barrack-room one; a year or two ago, being unacquainted at the time with your lengthy but well argued posts, I wondered aloud whether you were a lawyer or had some connection with the legal profession. Your enigmatic response was that you couldn't afford to be. Much water and tens of thousands of words have spewed forth in the meantime, often contentious but always food for thought. Your post yesterday contained a couple of errors of syntax - I think that's what they were, it's over 60 years since I was at Grammar School - which made it sound as if FIFA were asked to display the symbol and that they did.

• Micra - You are right my OP was clumsily worded. Fair enough to pick me up on it.

Others personal abuse on this thread was witless and demeaned themselves, as LX to his credit has admitted (I think).

I attempted a little humour that to be compared to a lawyer would be the worst insult of all - not very fond of lawyers at the moment- sorry did mean any criticism of you but reading back I can see why you may have interpreted it as that. Apols.

Two clumsy posts in one thread. D-. Must do better.

On a positive note extra time on a bog can't have helped Argyles fitness for Monday. Six in a row?

• I'd forgotten about the Newport game. Must check result, stats, cards etc.
    I was quite happy with the "bastard" quip - realised it was in jest.
    As you will have noticed, I tend to start posting late in the evening until well after midnight. Not a great idea but I do tend to sleep in until well after 8am.
    Have just watched the highlights of the Leyton Orient game and it brought home to me just what an amazing player Kashket is. He is like quicksilver and his movement in the build-up to the goal was outstanding. If he stays fit, I can see us being very serious promotion candidates. In dreamland. Long may it continue.

• @DevC You just haven't met the right lawyer...

• You hitting on me, Wiggy?