Skip to content

Match day thread: Chesterfield

Comments

• @OakwoodExile Is this article for real; why does it constantly refer to Chesterfield as "Town"? Chesterfield Town FC is not the same club as Chesterfield FC. Maybe the journalist is on secondment from the BFP.
    Nevertheless it's a good read if you're a Chairboy.

• @OakwoodExile thanks for the link. I especially like "The movement and pace of their front three had Town’s defence chasing shadows." A month ago that sentence would have me worrying about the sanity of the author

• @Twizz Chesterfield are known as Town, its what all the locals refer to. So if your from Derbyshire it makes perfect sense

• @Twizz I believe fans of the current Chesterfield FC consider it to be a reincarnation of a club named Chesterfield Town FC, which existed from the 1890s to the First World War.

• Named after Michael Duberry for the curious sound his hollow skull tended to make when heading a football.

• Being known as Town is rather like us being called "The Chairboys". I wonder how many involved with the club, including supporters, have the slightest connection with the trade any more? Its good for old traditions like that to continue whichever club is involved.

• @Uncle_T @wingnut. Thanks for clearing that up, I was a little confused since there is another club called "Chesterfield Town FC".
    To be honest, I had my money on it being some ill informed journalist getting the two clubs mixed up.

• Quite how thread about a 5-0 away win can turn into a thread about players that started well and tailed off is beyond me, but I'll chip in with Mr Essandoh.

• Did Essandoh 'start well and tail off' or 'do one extraordinary thing we'll never forget but nothing else?'

• Essandoh made one great leap and header, and that was about it. Still, i doubt he'd swap for the world.

That cup run was delirium. When you remember that all of our strike options were injured, and we lined up with Ryan adn Clegg up front, it just makes it ridiculous.

I think a lot of people forget the detail that Leicester had beaten Liverpool at home the previous week, and were as high as 6th in the Premier league!

• Amazing the details one forgets about the cup run. I only remembered the other day that Wimbledon missed a penalty at the end of normal time in the replay.

• What division were Wimbledon in back then ?

• Premium league

• I'm sure it was Division One - think they had just gone down.

• I'm naked

• I'm with you @braywanderer !

• I think @LX1 , is having some sort of meltdown judging from his posts today

• Magic mushrooms could be the cause?

• He certainly seems like he's having some kind of episode. Fair play.

• LX1, were you the chap that fell down three rows when we scored the second at Chesterfield? Do you still have a headache? Just trying to put two and two together

• i thought it was that kid Lewis for a moment. The one who is banned from home games, and is constantly off his face, and revels in his self entitled "hooligan" status.

But LX has a long history of posts, and some are a bit more sensible than Lewis could manage!

• "I've been to every game this season" I heard him say to someone on Saturday who I know has been going for years. He was politely told to F**k off by about 8 blokes behind him.

• More respectable than his work at Luton.

Kicking hoardings, 30mins being calmed down by a steward, shouting nonsense, calling our fans paedos and saying he hopes we concede another goal.

His drip of a "best mate" was useless at stopping his behaviour, and then come about 50mins, kicked out.

• I remember that @Malone at the Luton game. Drip sums them both up nicely.

• @DJWYC14 I think you may be right. Just about come down from Saturday, the rest of the game was a bit of a daze! (For the avoidance of doubt I'm not one of the guys being discussed above)

• I suspect that as he has probably not yet mastered the ability to cut up his own food, let alone read or write, drippy plonker Lewis is unlikely to be anywhere near The Gasroom. If I'm wrong I feel sure that he will "sing up" and let us know.