Skip to content

Match day thread: Chesterfield

Comments

• Don't worry be happy

• @LX1 said:
    Don't worry be happy

If you say so. (Cue for a song, isn't it?)

• When you think you have some trouble
    Scotty Kashket bags a double

Don't worry
    Be Happy

• Did anybody see the game if so could we have feedback?

• It was very good and no-one called for Ainsworth's head.

Nice local game for me, as is next week. Bring it on!

• 18 month deal with the "option" for another year would be a great scenario.

While people have been getting a little cock a hoop, you do have to remember he wouldn't be the first player to have a great month spell then drop like a stone.

• Absolutely agree @Malone. Don't forget Akinfenwa takes a lot of the focus for the central defenders. As such it will be interesting to see how he fares without the Beast. Not knocking him in any way, just being slightly cautious with the limited resources of the club.

• Miguel De Souza springs to mind as a one season wonder.

• Adrian Mann springs to mind as a half-season wonder.

• @TwinBrother said:
    Adrian Mann springs to mind as a half-season wonder.

Crikey, what a memory. Seem to recall he wasn't the most disciplined lad at that time. @ChasHarps mentioned him fairly recently.

• He scored twice against crew without the beast.......

• Anyone any idea how many minutes Scott has actually played for all his goals? I'd guess he's at almost Messi levels (okay - comparison ends there)

• My dad remembered alot of players that I forgotten like Mark Boyland, Scott(?) Young, Robert Thorpe, Martin Lambert, David Gipp who start off brilliant then tail off.

• Adrian Mann was one of 2 players we signed when Newport (can't remember which one) went pop wasn't it? Who was the other? Its not a quiz, my memory is sh1t.

• Inclined to agree with @Malone and @EwanHoosaami; easy to get carried away. However, I think his pace, quick feet and sharp reactions; industry and finishing are all so exceptional that it is hard to see his recent impressive performances as a flash in the pan. He won't carry on scoring in virtually every game of course and there will be barren spells but what striker doesn't have them (unless they play for Real Madrid or Barcelona).

• @bookertease Posted on the Facebook site. 452 minutes, 9 goals. A goal every 50.22 minutes

• @TwinBrother I cant remember Robert Thorpe starting off well, never really done anything of note. Lawrence Osborne was the midfielder we signed along with Adie Mann. A decent player but terribly injury prone.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub Lawrence Osborne. Lasted a bit longer but not much.

• @OakwoodExile thanks. And that is pretty impressive as we're not exactly renowned for creating lots of chances

• @TwinBrother David Gipp was awesome when he first started. As you say, tailed off badly.

I'll throw Peter Garland into the mix. His loan spell was one of the finest I've ever seen. Not much on offer once he'd signed.

It's difficult for clubs when this happens as the same people now demanding a 3 year contract will be making claims of clueless management should his performances drop off. We've seen a bit of this with Michael Harriman, who thankfully seems to be on the up again.

• Harriman was bloody fantastic on Saturday, but then so were the whole team.

• @Chris said:
    Harriman was bloody fantastic on Saturday, but then so were the whole team.

And against Hartlepool.

• Although we are slightly off the thread now my ultimate decline has to be Stuart Castledine. We were chomping at the bit for him to sign and when he did he was absolutely atrocious. Then had the audacity to get front and centre for the Leicester post game photos.

• Can anyone confirm the gossip that I heard that Castledine is married to the lady who fronts "Homes Under The Hammer"?
    Pure idle curiously.

• Yes, if her name is Lucy Alexander. I'm not aware of her work but remember my mother in law showing me the pictures of their wedding in OK magazine!

• Lucy Alexander did host Homes under the Hammer but I think Dion Dublin has taken over on the last series.

• She worked alongside Dion for about a year before, incredibly, leaving to become brand ambassador for Carpetright.
    Dion is married to Louise. He is an accomplished percussionist and invented a percussion instrument named the dune. You couldn't make it up.

• The Dube. Bloody autospill.

• edited December 2016

Castledine was a bizarre case. Model-esque looks, and adonis physique, but by the time we signed him, he was utterly shot away, and an appalling footballer. Only David May in United's champions league win aftermath has managed to hijack the glory to a sillier extent

Everyone ignored Sanchez's words when we signed him, that were along the lines of, he's barely played 50 games in his career, so don't expect that a season! With that in mind, i'm not sure why he signed him.
    Maybe because he had the worst scouting network ever, thus seemingly 95% of signings coming with Brentford or Wimbledon backgrounds. That and everyone seeming to hate him and us, made signing players very tough. Probably helps to explain why we fell away once his main players started declining.

I think only Waddock could have a claim at worse network, repeatedly "raiding" Aldershot, despite them being in a lower division.
    At least Peter Taylor had the excuse of Hayes absolutely wrecking his planning with his disgraceful ultimatum.

• Castledine played on loan for us at the beginning of the 95/96 season and was utterly sensational

I was very excited when we signed him, imagining him to be the same player he was back then

How wrong I was