Skip to content

Match day thread: Crewe Alexandra

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ainsworth for England

• @micra All I will say is that the individual wasn't me!
    @eric_plant Do you want a medal for your reaction being more positive than Mr Angry/Mystic Meg's assessment of the starting line-up?!

• Ainsworth out! Good to see Busby reffing tonight. Safe journey back to Blackpool. Great ruthless play on the break. Agree with above we are lacking a bit of bite in midfield but all about the positives tonight.

• Normal service resumed at 1:09 on the highlights with a shout of "Rubbish, Wycombe" clearly audible.

• Normal service resumed at 1:09 on the highlights with a shout of "Rubbish, Wycombe" clearly audible.

• A great performance by the whole team! However, the performance of keeper Jamal Blackman should not be underestimated, especially when we were 1-0 up, making some very fine saves.

Although Crewe fans wouldn't agree having conceded five, it made for a great match when they had a team playing nice passing football. They always tend to better in the second-half of the season anyway as their young players gain more match experience. I'm sure they'll be there or thereabouts at the end of the season.

A good night all round!

• Fair play to the club for playing this after the final whistle:

• My personal highlight seeing a happy Sam Wood doing what he does best where he does it best. Him and JJ were superb and the effort woody put in was extraordinary.

• Slightly embarrassing moment for Mr Harriman when his slide to join the second goal huddle came up woefully short....

Yesterday was the first time that a team vaguely resembling the one GA had in mind pre-season could be fielded (albeit with loanees filling the shoes of Brown and O'Nien.)
    It is this team on which GA can fairly be judged.

I don't see it as worldbeaters - probably a mid table team, which means it will lose as many as it wins, but that's acceptable performance to my mind.

I have said it before and it remains my view. The level of criticism of GA and some players during this period of half the first team being out injured, and consequent forced cobbling together of a scratch X1, has been extremely unfair.

• Yes Dev, you've already made all those points before.

• Yes I agree 2 wins in 2016 prior to last night was a heroic points return given the number of players out injured. Any other manager would have struggled to amass more than 1 win in such circumstances.

In all seriousness though last night was an absolute pleasure to watch, given simply the number of chances created and the entertainment levels on show. We went a step further actually finishing a large majority of them and that should have given many players a much needed confidence boost. The shape looked natural for the players on the pitch. It actually could have gone either way if we had conceded at 1-0, and we have to thank Blackman for that as there were gaps in the middle of the park and Crewe played the ball fast, although often lacking in the final ball.

Seasons often have turning points and this needs to be ours. We have two very winnable games up next and 6 points should be the aim. If we can follow up with a win by whatever means necessary on Saturday the players will hopefully believe a bit more in themselves and more importantly, our league position will look more bearable and Ainsworth will be able to move forward with the season with a bit more confidence and hopefully full support from all quarters, which has been hard to justify of late.

Seriously great performance last night though.

• What a load of typically self righteous guff (from dev, obviously)

• The only dissapointing part of last night was realising DevC would be back making his bog standard post again. The only surprise is it took until 9.51am.

We took advantage of a high defensive line last night and seemed to play our two central midfielders slightly higher up the pitch. No danger of either playing anyone onside for a goal last night. Great to see Jacobson back too.
    Some great finishes too. Nice to tuck in every chance we had in the first half.

• I thought JJ's performance was quite brilliant given it was his first game back. I think Sam Wood enjoyed playing in front of him again as well. He was fantastic

• I was out last night until 9-15,turned the telly on to check how we were doing and my immediate thought was wtf? When the 5th went in i actually laughed. Can we please keep the same starting XI foe Exeter as what reason could Ainsworth give for ANY changes?

• Agreed. Thommo seems to be a different player playing in his more natural position too.
    Wood's smile was a joy to see

• Great game decent amount of chances too
    Lets try play like this every week even if we where to at least we would lose playing well

• @LX1 Cheers bit of a rush! @peterparrotface Classic. I am sure I heard some smiths before the game or possibly half time through the commentary as well? But was it Joy Divison?

• What sort of fan owned cub is this when a season ticket holder...yes a season ticket holder...can miss his first two home games of the season and the team win both games scoring six goals. Sort it out Gareth!

• @DevC Just enjoy the result, be positive about things for once, stop ending all your posts on a negative about Wycombe fans. Focus on the positives please.

• Interesting that Gape was made MOM. I have to say I'd have given it to Sammy (the "Man who looks a bit like Sam Wood" has at last been replaced by the real Sam Wood), but Gape seems to be one of those players who is so good at his job you hardly notice him. And I thought his (Gape's) goal was masterful.

• I would have given MotM to PCH personally. Let's hope the early departure from the pitch was just precautionary and he's not broken again.

• ...although yes, Gape's goal was very good, I was as positive that he was going to fluff his lines as I was that Kashket was going to miss for his first also.

• Got a bit of pace about him hasn't he, Kashket?

• It was a great substitution from Gaz actually, and allowed us to keep playing at a high tempo. Other options off the bench would have slowed us down

• Subtle Eric. I think we all know what you are saying but have done posted your stock post in a interesting way. Akinfenwa wasn't the option last night. I thought the Crewe defence was worryingly slow and I am amazed others haven't exploited it better.
    Kashket looked a lively option and the goals will do him the world of good.

• Just seen the highlights...well done to the team for such a dominant display. Hopefully to be carried on to Saturday!