Skip to content

Match day thread: Grimsby

13»

Comments

• He does have a 3hour drive remember ;-)

Seems a good sign that he could have started after playing 90 midweek. Had presumed he wouldn't be able to do such a thing.

Either way, should definitely be back in on Tuesday. So much more of a threat than Thommo, who in his piece in the programme said his idol was John Barnes as they play in the same position!
    What made Ainsworth decide to throw him in as a striker anyway?!

• Didn't I read that he travels in with Hayes & Weston? So may not have been his fault

• If Thompson is given another contract at the end of this season Ainsworth should explain why.As a striker he's Conference at best.

• Dear lord, that attempted tackle by Rowe just before their goal

Awful

• And then appealing for something after. Not his finest minute of action

• @micra said:
    The guy was adamant after I said "That's very disappointing, if true." He said that Bayo arrived late and Ainsworth benched him (as I believe happened with Pierre).

If I remember correctly, something I rarely do to be honest, Pierre was forced to watch from the stands.

• @micra said:
    I really hope I'm right about Pierre having received the same treatment.

Yes, I'm certain Pierre, was dropped to the Sub's bench, when he too arrived late, for preparations, team meeting etc.

• And we've never lost a game in which AP has played..

• We don't want too many arriving late Tuesday then.

• @eric_plant thoughts on Akinfenwa's performance on Tuesday and off the bench yesterday?

Already showed that he is a very intelligent footballer that offers us something different - a plan B that we lacked last season

He has great control, strength and touch, lays it off and pushes us further up the park. We really must utilise his strengths more as so often he would win the first ball and no-one was within 10 yards of him when they could have gambled and been in.

• Come on @micra, his first two touches before the shot are sublime...

• @eric_plant
    6:05PM
    Dear lord, that attempted tackle by Rowe just before their goal

Malone
    6:20PM
    And then appealing for something after. Not his finest minute of action

The tackle was a bit powderpuff, though I think he was appealing for handball, which I admit I saw at the time and thought should have been given. It's the ref's call as to whether that constituted a foul, though their goalscorer rode his luck a bit there.

• @floyd said:
    Come on micra, his first two touches before the shot are sublime...

Agreed. I was just smiling at the thought of a hypothetical goal being a contender for goal of the season - a syndrome analogous with "if ifs and ands were pots and pans there'd be no need for tinkers" !

• You had me searching way back @floyd for what I'd said that might have given rise to your comment. I hope I've guessed the right post.

• @DJWYC14 I didn't go on Tuesday but he certainly had an impact off the bench on Saturday. Seemed to create a buzz around the stadium and get the crowd engaged as well.

All in all a good first impression

• @micra you got the right one!

• I thought first half we were controlling things without looking at all like scoring, AP and AS were both immense at the back. Goalkeeper was solid. Thommo did not get a single header...whereas the barely able to run man mountain managed to get on teh end of eery single one when he came on. So go figure! Southwell looked busy, McGinn looked decent (thought why he raised his hands to that fella after a minor foul to get booked I could not work out!). I forgot Bloomy was on the pitch which is a great comliment when applied to a referee less so in a midfielder and captain. Agree Southwell and Bayo would have been a better front two in my book. Yet again, Harriman when finding himself in a lot of space calling for ball ignored for ball to stay in crowded midfield...so I'm not sure who he has upset! Sido's goal came out of nothing, either brilliant or very poor goal-keeping. Bayo putting it about for late goal was excellent and got the crowd up. I think Grimsby will cause a lot of teams problems this term so pleased to get the three points. Not a great performance, frustrating as usual, but at least it was a win. Be interesting to see what happens on Tuesday.

• Let's hope Bayo sets off early. If he arrives on time he is almost sure to start with Dayle Southwell.

• Still smarting at Bayo and Stewart's, extra harmonous goal celebrations.

• @Ciderk1d said:
    Still smarting at Bayo and Stewart's, extra harmonous goal celebrations.

??

• smiling?

• edited August 2016

Ok, ok, had a fat finger, and spell check/can't spell. Yes I meant smiling and harmonious.

• Fussy old buggers aren't we Cider.

• Who would have thought Grimsby would be 6th after 10 games?

• @Chris

They've probably got quite a competitive budget this season, considering the gates they are achieving. They can probably attract players at a lower wage than we can too, Bucks/London is expensive.

• I know it's still early days etc. but it is interesting looking at the table. Of our 10 league games, 8 have been against sides in the top half, including four of the top seven. Hopefully we can take this new found momentum into our next four league games - all against teams in the bottom half of the table, including two teams below us.

• I'm taking a few work mates to Exeter game on Saturday. All Premier League fans, not sure they've ever watched a lower league game.

We arranged it last season when Wycombe were around the play-offs. However, I have been dreading taking them. Or at least I was until last night.

Hopefully with JJ and PCH fit, Thommo playing out wide, Harriman and Woody back to form, and Hayes with an eye for goal, they will actually have a good time and see a Wycombe win.

• Not at all sure that PCH will be fit. Hope I'm wrong!