Skip to content

Match day thread: Grimsby

Comments

• @wingnut said:
    Reading all this here isn't much incentive to turn up to watch. Poor everything seems the consensus. Is it really that bad?

There is always hope that's why one goes. The last ten games of last season should have put me off for life but I still love walking up to Adams park before a game.

• It is too early to make any judgement on how good/bad we are. Personally I think there was a slight improvement yesterday, particularly in light of the key players missing.

We have Weston, O'Nien, Hayes and most importantly Cowan-Hall, if by some miracle he ever gets injury free which will significantly strengthen the team ( assuming Ainsworth has a change of heart and leaves out his pet Thompson). The Beast is also now an option to change any game as was evident yesterday.

• Hard to tell but on the replay it looks a lot like Akinfenwa's header crosses the line before spinning onto the other post.

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/league-two/10535665/wycombe-2-1-grimsby

• @Glenactico said:
    Hard to tell but on the replay it looks a lot like Akinfenwa's header crosses the line before spinning onto the other post.

That's how it looked at the time. Would have been interesting if a defender had got to it before Stewart but I think it would probably have been given. At the time time seemed to almost stop but I'm sure I glanced over to the referees assistant mid leap to see him heading in the direction of the half way line before Stewart lashed it in

• Most definitely Bayo's, hope the goal gets awarded to the actually goal scorer (Bayo).

Props to Stewert, for following up and ensuring, there wasn't any doubt.

• How the hell do you pull Southwell off and leave that useless Thompson on, Ainsworth must be related to him or be his best mate, anyone else wouldn't put him near the starting line up

• We have signed some creative players. Some are injured. The creative players we have are snuffed out by playing out of position. We are opting for attritional football. Same as last season I guess.
    Southwell was a big positive and had a touch of Beavon about him with his effort and endeavour. Bayo is going to be a fun distraction. Apart from that unless the return of PCH and Weston sees a tactical rethink (and why should it alternative players are already available in the squad) then I think we can look forward to a season of attrition and game management.

• Not entirely sure why all the knives are out for Thompson. Thought he did OK yesterday. Worked very hard in very hot conditions, and that touch he had to bring that high ball under control was as good a piece of quality as anything else in the match, Sido's free kick notwithstanding

• Southwell going off was obvious decision but Thompson set up two late chances for himself late in the game and set up winner

• I mean Thompson going off was obvious decision.

• And his long throw helped us win the game; so Ainsworth keeping Thompson on was one of the contributions to the 3 points.

That being said I'm very much looking forward to my first chance to see Southwell play on Saturday.

• @braywanderer said:
    I still love walking up to Adams park before a game.

And there the fun ends.

• Thompson had 2 guilt edged chances that he should be scoring. If he is to be deployed as a striker then he must score those chances. Simple.
    If we are to employ him as a mediocre striker we will get mediocre results. He was a better wide player when we first signed him. I am not questioning his endeavour, thats all good but for me, personally, I would like a striker who you know like scored. Seven for him last season? Thats about right and I reckon he could get the same this season. In which case we had better hope our defence is good.

• The end result was much needed, and it's heartening to see some flashes of brilliance (at long last!) going forward, though it was largely a frustrating game with WWFC team that didn't seem to gel, and had too many players either not at their best or playing in a position that didn't suit them.
    Harriman was a particular disappointment, he wasn't playing in the winger role that he excelled in in the first half of last season, though when he did get out wide, his delivery was generally poor.
    Southwell was impressive again, though at this stage not at the level where he can carry and/or lift a misfiring team like Bayo was able to when he came. It was bemusing to see a winger struggling as a striker get left on while Dayle was taken off (the reason must have been to either keep him fresh for Tuesday or as a precaution for a injury rather than for tactical considerations).
    An honourable mention for Sido too. He was hard done by to be left out at Crawley, but came back well today (even ignoring the free kick). His talent for free kicks 20-25 yards out is terrific, gives us an alternative to Joe as well. Has anyone ever seen Sido score a routine goal?!

If there was any doubt in my mind that Akinfenwa would be a PR signing, it was well and truly blown away today. His physique belies the quality of his touch and the intelligence of his movements, passing, and in the case of yesterday, the vision to spot the looping header to the back post was on. Surely he must start against Accrington?

• Would love to see Southwell and Akinfenwa play up front together. Think Akinfenwa's intelligence and Southwell's movement (he has quick feet) would complement each other.

• I actually thought taking Southwell off at the time (whilst we were protecting a lead) was probably an okay decision. I thought he had an excellent first quarter of the game but seemed to be trying a little too hard and didn't really have any influence on the game at the time we started to be getting pushed back (neither did anyone else to be fair but I can understand the thinking of experience over enthusiasm at that stage of the game). Thompson isn't a centre forward but again I thought was semi okay out of position - and I agree with Eric Plant, his control of the ball that created his chance was the best moment of quality in the game.

• Guy on Fans FB page reckons Bayo arrived late yesterday and would otherwise have been in the starting lineup.
    Hope he will be on Tuesday.

• I hope that's not true @micra - I remember us losing a crucial game because Pierre was dropped as punishment for being late. If that's not applied across the board, it's a worrying favouritism.

• You sure he was not late in coming to out AFTER the match rather than before?

• I think some people here are disappointed we won . Yes we did punt the ball over the top too many times but Southwell looked full of invention and was always looking to pull the trigger and the other lads worked their arses off and got a result positivity please people.

• I don't think anyone is 'disappointed we won,' but it's fair to be frustrated with our playing style. Luke O'Nien certainly seemed to be at times.

• Wasn't the prettiest of games but apart from about 10 minutes in the second half we deserved the win.

Would love to see Southwell and Bayo up front together on Tuesday.

From what I saw of Freeman in pre season I think he could do a great job at the top of a diamond behind the front two.

• If Thommo scores that chance we've got 2 contenders for goal of the season.

• @floyd said:
    If Thommo scores that chance we've got 2 contenders for goal of the season.

Interesting hypothesis.

• @drcongo said:
    I hope that's not true micra - I remember us losing a crucial game because Pierre was dropped as punishment for being late. If that's not applied across the board, it's a worrying favouritism.

The guy was adamant after I said "That's very disappointing, if true." He said that Bayo arrived late and Ainsworth benched him (as I believe happened with Pierre).

• Bayo apologised on his Twitter for being late

• How do you know if Pierre played we would have won that game @drcongo a couple of your recent posts haven't been up to your usually high standard

• I really hope I'm right about Pierre having received the same treatment.