Skip to content

Match day thread: Grimsby

Comments

• Live match commentary of WW v Grimsby will be on Chairboys Player with me and Luke O'Nien. Reports and post match on 3CR

• 0-0 at half time. Sounds like we had a good first 20 minutes and then tailed off.

• Poor...when will we see a goal...

• A Wycombe goal! A Wycombe goal! Sido with a freekick!

• Sido!!!!! sounds like we're dominating so a well deserved goal.

• Grimsby equalise.

• Predictable.

• ANTHONY STEWART SCORES! 2-1

• Wycombe Wanderers 2-1 Grimsby Town FT. Great result in the end.

• And less predictable.

• Awesome results, sorry @drcongo, I'm still here, thanks to our defenders.

3 glorious points.

• Yeah for the result....boo for the style of footy played....

• It was interesting listening to Luke O'Nien on the commentary getting as frustrated as we all do with the hoofing. He used the phrase "we just have to be brave enough to take an extra touch or two before passing", which could suggest maybe a lack of confidence is a contributing factor.

• @drcongo I wasn't able to make the game today either and was also struck by O'Nien's honest appraisal. Three other choice quotes:

"Three passes on the pitch and we have a chance of goal"

"It’s quite frustrating to watch because you want to see an end product"

"We haven’t opened them up, we haven’t got the ball into the final third".

Maybe the solution is to see a midfield featuring O'Nien, McGinn and Rowe. And have someone less forthright on commentary duties!

• I thought we were quite poor again. Jombati's goal was our one moment of quality in attack. Aside from that we only really had an occasional threat going forward.

Very little width with Harriman and wood coming inside too much. And when we did get it on the flanks the crosses were wasted.

Thomo and Southwell not an appealing front two. although they both offer something they aren't suited to playing together.

Grimsby were unlucky not to get at least a point.

• Once again I just didn't see the formation working for us with Wood and Harriman probably the poorest on the pitch as they struggled with positions they are not used to.
    If we insist on the spoiling 4-1-3-2 formation then GA needs to go the whole hog with workmanship players and not waste the two wingers.
    I wonder what the thinking is of sticking with this formation with PCH and Weston to return. Are we going to waste their wide talents as well?
    A win today but I am not sure we a) deserved it and b) it was remotely entertaining for the most part of the game.

• Gaz must have seen some stats that most goals come through the centre, as he's already severely reduced the width of the pitch, and now has the wide players playing very narrow.
    At times it was like Wood was playing like a lesser talented Scott Oakes, from that season we basically had Betsy as a proper winger, and 3 centre mids.

It'll be very interesting how we use Paris and Weston when/if both are ever fit together.
    Can't see us being brave enough to go 4-4-2, so it'll probably be a 4-3-3 job.

The Beast looks so much more of threat than Thompson, who surely is only earning his starts by virtue of the former not being able to play 90mins twice a week.

• I honestly cannot fathom what Thompson did to deserve staying on the pitch over Southwell.

Incredibly impressed with Bayo's hold-up ability, and while the ultimate goal is for swashbuckling football on the floor - that ain't happening, so he fits the style we seem to play perfectly. Southwell running behind would've been interesting to see, and I'm so disappointed that he was taken off.

Also, JJ is continuing the dreadfully patchy form that he brought through last season

• I think there must be a clause in Thompson's contract guaranteeing him maximum game time!

I am also at a loss to understand how Bloomfield got MOTM. He played ok but Stuart should have got it by a mile.

• Great to get the points but how we survived the second half onslaught we'll never know. Well, I think we do actually because Aaron Pierre and Anthony Stewart were immense and in my book were joint Men of the Match. And what about that remarkable goal line clearance by Joe Jacobson? (At least I think it was Joe.) And Sido's magic moment. Of course we wouldn't have had that moment without the great run to the very edge of the box by Joe Jacobson before he was brought down and Sido scored from the resulting free kick. How indebted we were to our back four today. Cameron Dawson was no slouch either.
    Came away feeling not exactly elated but relieved that we had won our first home game since 25 March.

• Have to agree there mooneyman..Thompson has something on gaz and some fans seem to be blinkered on bloomfield. Was treading water for most of the 2nd half.

• We got the points because Grimsby stopped pressing after they equalised and to give gaz and the boys their due they never gave up.
    We were okay in patches but kept drifting back to the safety of continuously punting the ball long yes use it but only as part of the mix. I was disappointed M.H didn't get to play a larger role in the game on form he is better than most in this league.

• What is the reason to make the pitch narrow I'm a bit thick on this I feel the wider the pitch the game could flow better also has a 5 3 2 ever been tried that way not many players would play in positions not suited for them but I suppose that would be old hat(tongue in cheek).

• Watching Wycombe I'm often reminded of an Arsene Wenger interview in the invincibles season, when asked what instructions he'd given his team at half time to make them pull off an impressive second half win he said something along the lines of "I don't tell them to do anything, they're grown ups. I just put the best players on the pitch in the position that suits them."

Rainieri said something similar in an Italian interview last season.

• edited August 2016

@brittanywanderer; "What is the reason to make the pitch narrow ", To condense the game.

It baffles me, tbfh. PCH,Southwell and Weston, would love maximum width and longer pitch, surely?

• Gutted Southwell was taken off. Can only hope it was to rest his legs for Tuesday.
    The bloke needs a goal to settle him down but I think we have a real player on our hands there.

Thompson... Not good enough and doesn't want it enough for me.

• I don't think Blooms should've got MOM, but he wasn't bad.

Did his usual breaking up play and charging all over the place. If we were a better team with more players, we could be critical of one who runs until the very end for the Club, but we aren't and we dont', so suck it up

• I don't think Bloomers did anything wrong. My original point was that if we are going to play a non creative midfield for want of a better word then we need to play Bloomers, Bean and 2 other spoilers. Don't expect wood and Harriman to change their game to suit that dire style. And don't expect me to be there every week to watch it.

• Reading all this here isn't much incentive to turn up to watch. Poor everything seems the consensus. Is it really that bad?