Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• It’s that time again. Another year, another club signs Joel Grant.

• Hope he scores the winner against Oxford for them.

• This is the eighth season since Joel Grant left us, this will be his fourth club. Ok not Matt Bloomfield levels of loyalty but nothing out of the ordinary surely.

• And only 3 clubs prior to us. I must have him mixed up in my head with someone else.

• @drcongo said:
    And only 3 clubs prior to us. I must have him mixed up in my head with someone else.

Banton?

• Banton now 18 clubs and still only 27!

• Thank you! Yes!

• Matt Ingram seems to have made a decent start for Hull this season, which is excellent to see. Good reports of him from the win over Crewe today, to follow those for the Leeds game in midweek and the wins over the Gills and the Mackems.

• Just read on Jacob G-S’s twitter feed that, with no club and nowhere to turn, he recently did his ACL training and was in despair. As soon as Stocko got to hear about it he immediately organised and paid for an MRI scan for the lad. I take my Stetson off to you big man.

• Sounds superb from Stockdale there.

• I saw that as well, he really is quite an impressive person on the quiet

• Those thumbs are a bloody pain. My screen is tiny and I accidentally hit the down version when trying to acknowledge David Stockdale’s admirable kindness and generosity. Pressing the lone thumbs up restores the status quo but you cannot then register your original intention.

• You're the only one that pays any attention to them!!

• Scott Mcgleish at 46 scored for Edgware Town in the FA cup last weekend.

• Not sure why @eric_plant! They’re pointless, unlike index fingers.

• Or fish fingers @micra!

• Fish fingers, home cooked Maris Piper (deep fried) chips and mushy peas beat the local chippy hands down (never mind thumbs).

• Niche one - Goalkeeper Ashlee Jones signs on an Emergency Loan and features for Hashtag United in their FA Cup game Vs. Soham Town Rangers that is currently being broadcast by the BBC.

He never played a Senior fixture for Wycombe but appears in celebratory photos from the promotion achieved under Peter Taylor in 2009.

• Ibe to Derby confirmed. Last chance saloon?

• In a sense, yes but if I was a gambling man I’d put money on this being a turning point in his career. Will be interesting to see how he performs if he lines up against us at Pride Park on 28 November. The new blond version.

• He'll get a season at least before dropping another league...I suppose underperformers don't have the easy option of top dollar to play in poor stadiums in the pollution in China at the moment, do they? Derby next best fit. :wink:

• You wouldn’t have had him back then @Wendoverman ?

• @micra said:
    You wouldn’t have had him back then @Wendoverman ?

I would be happy to rescue him from Derby @micra

• Do I detect a bit of cross border rivalry @Wendoverman ?

• Did we know that Kevin Betsy is now the head coach of England U17s? He's quoted in the Times today about the latest wunderkind he's helped develop, Jamal Musiala. He also worked with Jude Bellingham. Hopefully we might be able to use our links with Kevin to get some intelligence on young starlets to take on loan - and perhaps also impose on him to recommend Wycombe as a destination to their club managers...

• Brian Clough Way is a long road @micra and at one end there be dragons

• @aloysius Yes, I had picked that up. He was coaching youth players at Fulham and then graduated to England. It's great stuff. He seemed a class act in all senses when he was with us and I can well imagine him being good in that role.

• Betsy is exactly the type of player we need now. The ball used to stick to him and allow the team to regroup at the back and get forward too.

• Hard to believe that it is 15 years since he joined us. In those two years he played more games for Wycombe than for any other club apart from Barnsley. 15 goals from 71 games was a pretty good return for a midfielder.

It would certainly be wonderful if he could point GA and colleagues towards talented youngsters.