Skip to content

New signings

124»

Comments

• Whilst The Beast would not have been the top of my signings wish list I do see the attraction of having him in the squad. He is an absolute pain of a player and can hold the ball up for a faster more mobile partner (PCH).
    I think this league shows that you can play consistently decent football using expensive players (Plymouth, Portsmouth, Carlisle, Luton, etc) and get nowhere. Sometimes you need something different, and he is different. He is not a 40 plus game player but he will add something.
    My only concern is that his (dead god) celebrity status and eye on the commercial world beyond football will influence the dressing room negatively. They need to remember who he is and that he has maximised what he has rather than believe they are playing with David Beckham.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

My only concern is that his (dead god) celebrity status and eye on the commercial world beyond football will influence the dressing room negatively. They need to remember who he is and that he has maximised what he has rather than believe they are playing with David Beckham.

Are you referring to his own eye on the commercial world beyond football - is he on record for example as having specific aspirations in that direction (and hence his affordability as a footballer) - or Wycombe's eye on that aspect?

• I'm not sure what those of you who think Akinfenwa will have a positive influence in the changing room are basing it on. It's actually quite interesting how silent most of the squad have been about his arrival. Normally there are lots of welcoming tweets from players when someone joins. This time they're all eloquent in their silence, bar one welcome from Marcus Bean and one coded welcome from Paul Hayes which reminds Bayo that he's 'part of a family' and the club philosophy is 'one Wycombe' (not heard that for a while!). I suspect there's a bit of worry that the Beast will not be a team player. Hopefully he can go a long way to proving he can be during this training / bonding camp.

• Ainsworth has said he will be, although he's hardly likely to say anything else.

• I think you might be reading a little too much into Paul Hayes's tweet.

• On a lot of occasions a new player will sign a contract and announcements will go out before the player has met his new team mates. I guess that is partly why there is then often a small flurry of tweets from those team mates to welcome the new guy in advance of meeting him in training. Yesterday, the whole team had met Akinfenwa in person before the announcement went out. It's a bit pointless tweeting a "Welcome" message to somebody who you have just said welcome to in person, face-to-face, a few minutes before; unless you feel it would be expected of you - as captain of the team, Paul Hayes may have felt he was obliged to tweet a welcome - or you think it may add a few followers to your own Twitter (if you're bothered about that sort of thing).

• On another thread I see we have signed a player called Other

• A keeper or two and we will do just fine this season.