Skip to content

Euros - Help Me Out

Couldn't give a sh1t about them at the moment. Seen many England games so its not as if I have never had an interest in our nation's pride. So what is it? Its so bad that this is the first big tournament in probably 4 decades that I haven't got a Panini Sticker Book.

Come on Gasroom give me something to boost my interest.

Comments

• Every 12 years is the year of the underdog: 1992 - Denmark, 2004 - Greece, 2016 - ????

On that theme I'm sure we could peak your interest with asking which underdog will triumph? We all know that loose statistical patterns like this are everyone's friend and thus France, Spain, Germany etc stand no chance. I'm going for Iceland.

• It seems to me a weird time to stop being excited about England, when we've got some genuinely exciting players in the team. I'm most looking forward to watching Eric Dier, I do love a good defensive midfielder.

• Trying a bit too hard to be a football hipster there Chris

• @brownie surely it's Ireland, under the management of Martin I thought you were different, but you've let me down O'Neill.

• @eric_plant I've never even watched a Bundesliga game.

Your favourite Wycombe player is a defensive midfielder and he has a beard.

• @Brownie The underdog thing has given me a minor boost although finding a suitable minnow with a bit of credibility is hard. Would love it to be MoN's Ireland but that is too much of a leap. Ditto Wales.
    I think I need more.
    Listening to Harry Redknapp saying that England had a really good chance of winning didn't help me earlier.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub don't watch them by the sound of things, plenty of cricket on.

• Lose first game as Russia get 96th minute goal and Wilshire injured in first twenty minutes, 0 - 0 Draw with Wales, have to beat Slovakia in last group game by eight goals...what's not to enjoy?

• The qualification for the Euros was the easiest ever, due to increasing the amount of teams.

But the allowance of 4 "best" 3rd place finishers, from 6 groups, would mean a group stage exit would be one of England's all time lows.

• @Malone said:

But the allowance of 4 "best" 3rd place finishers, from 6 groups, would mean a group stage exit would be one of England's all time lows.

Ah. Now there's something to look forward to.

• I wonder what the worst record of the "best" 3rd places is likely to have.

I wonder if any team could go through on 1 draw and 2 defeats..that'd be embarrassing scenes.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub - hope, that's what should spark your interest - hope - its why you are a Wycombe fan - belief in that one brief moment it will all come right on the pitch and you will have something to cheer about and your years of support and hoping against hope is finally justified..
    Also, this question - what if England went all the way and actually achieved the unbelievable - what will you tell your future generations? That in that moment, you went missing in action? That you spent your afternoons at the White horse or shopping at the Eden Centre - or B&Q - or you went to buy your big pants from Matalan?
    Come on, stand up, get involved - you've done this before - breathe in and maybe....just maybe.......

• @TheNixonTapes I shared my dark secret with a friend yesterday and he was quite shocked especially considering the rubbish I watch most weeks (his words).
    I have made a resolution to dust off my 1966 red England shirt and to purchase the required amount of snacks (healthy - I'm in training after all) and beverages and to embrace Saturday as normal.
    Maybe, just maybe, a positive performance will stir the inner me. Or I will resolve to fix that loft hatch in the spare room.

• http://www.jetpunk.com/user-quizzes/192210/england-euro-2016-squad
    18 for me. Was a day when I could have got 22 of 23 of Wales squad. Which rather makes AGFC point.

• We're on our way. We are Ron's twenty-two
    Hear the roar
    Of the red white and blue

This time!
    More than any other time!
    This time!

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub - a most sensible moved indeed - motto = hope for the best - prepare for shite

• And go into blind panic, if and when Ronaldo has the opportunity to run at Gary Cahill !!

• England fans in behaving like cunts shocker...we don't deserve any success with the apes that travel to England games

• You should watch it because, after the sludgey mud we've had to sit through this season, it's nice to see the ball move across the ball between players multiple times in a row.

• I find it hard to be interested in England at all given the jingoism / racism / shitforbrainsedness of such a huge contingent of England fans. Much more interested in watching Wales and Ireland.

• @drcongo no interest in Northern Ireland either then?

• @drcongo I'm not sure huge is fair. It's a small group giving the rest a bad name. At least in terms of racism/shitforbrainsedness - jingoism is more widespread but I think that applies to most international sporting teams not just England.

• I have been in Marseille since yesterday morning. Only took a few idiots to turn a good natured sing song last night into a very dangerous bottle lobbing episode. Police nipped it in the bud and tear gassed everyone at 8 o'clock.

• Tempted to call @drcongo an idiot (he said recently that he didn't mind that!) but I have more respect. I don't think it's a huge contingent but, as I understand it, a large number of well-behaved fans became trapped in the area when the tear gas was introduced.

• Latest reports seem to indicate that Russian fans have been trying to provoke the English fans and that several of the latter have been seen running away from the scene bleeding heavily. Not good.
    PS what a cracking free kick by GB.

• Anyway. That loft hatch...

• Come on, it was a good game. If we play like that every match we'll be fine.

• That's an interesting point. I watched the England game with no volume and felt that we were crowded out and made loads of misplaced passes. An effort not quality based performance.

Conversely

I listened to the Welsh game and had tingles and tears in my eyes at the end.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub - if you need any help with that loft hatch just give me a shout

• @drcongo said:
    I find it hard to be interested in England at all given the jingoism / racism / shitforbrainsedness of such a huge contingent of England fans. Much more interested in watching Wales and Ireland.

I last saw England play Turkey at the Stadium of Light in (I think) 2004. I've rarely been more depressed about my country of birth and knew my live England supporting days were over. So I know where @drcongo is coming from.