Skip to content

No discount for Under 18s

Comments

• @TheNixonTapes I'm sure @devc will tell you exactly why clubs don't engage with a completely different idea.

• @drcongo said:
    TheNixonTapes I'm sure devc will tell you exactly why clubs don't engage with a completely different idea.

I just don't see how offering free bananas to everyone in attendance could be cost effective.

• Dr C, when you are behind you really do need to stop digging.

The scheme you have described is not unique and innovative.; You will notice that it was the first thing Eric proposed in his interesting post above and as I am sure Eric will tell you, it was tried by Bradford five years or so ago (maybe a little longer). I daresay Eric will even know the season. That is why I have been calling it the Bradford scheme. I genuinely am surprised you are not aware that it has been done, exactly as you describe.
    They only did it once!

Pretty sure another club gave it a go, possibly Hartlepool, without any success.

Now you may not be aware of it, but I am pretty sure the professionals in the 48 clubs are, many will no doubt have even spoken about it with those who ran the Bradford and Hartlepool (if it was them) scheme, and given that none of them have implemented it, they have presumably all decided it will not work for them either.

The reasons why, we can only speculate but some of the problems are fairly obvious when you think about them.

Of course the fact that is not unique and has been tried makes your abuse rather misguided, dontcha think.

• ~sigh~......as far as I'm aware Hartlepool are the only league team I'm aware of who have had such a scheme

Bradford took a view on how many season tickets they would sell if they significantly reduced their prices and set their prices accordingly. They actually exceeded expectations. Incidentally, they claim that they were motivated not only by potential revenue, but by doing something good for their fans. Something which from all of your posts on any subject you have never shown the slightest capacity to understand

• I've checked, you're right and they did have that scheme, before the current one. I presume the previous scheme gave an indication of what they could expect to sell at a certain price

Anyway, the point is that clubs can come up with creative ideas to get fans through the turnstiles. To simply say dismiss all suggestions by saying that "well, clubs must have thought of that and there must be a reason why they haven't done it" is quite odd.

• You two really should be on the EU Leave campaign. Complete misrepresentations and incorrect information.

I have never proposed to dismiss all suggestions by saying "well, clubs must have thought of that and there must be a reason why they haven't done it". I have dismissed this SPECIFIC suggestion by saying "well, clubs must have thought of that and there must be a reason why they haven't done it" on the basis that it is a well known scheme that none of the 48 clubs are currently running. It is inconceivable that virtually all the 48 clubs are not aware of the concept, it is also inconceivable that there is no reason why they have ALL chosen not to operate it.

It is hardly surprising given the obvious administrative, supporter relationship and revenue reduction implications of this scheme.

I have not said that there may not be no creative schemes that may boost revenues while "rewarding" season ticket holders. There may be. I have said however that it is plainly and self-evidently not "easy" to cup up with them - evidenced that all 48 lower division clubs are racking their brains trying to solve the issue and the only scheme suggested here turns out to be a rehash of a well known scheme rejected by all.

• Perhaps for the first time ever on here I agree with Dev on this point. Even if this particular scheme was tried, I am not sure the Trust have the capability to administer it bearing in mind the absolute fiasco they have created over the disabled parking matter.

• Now that I would agree with.

• @DevC You should be on the Trump campaign with this flip-flopping:

Dr Congo argued that it would be easy to establish a scheme yo "reward" season ticket holders without affecting revenue. I am afraid that is simply not true.

I pointed out that your comment that it would be easy to establish a scheme to reward season ticket holders without affecting revenue was wrong - it self evidently is.

I have not said that there may not be no creative schemes that may boost revenues while "rewarding" season ticket holders.

Unless of course I'm mis-parsing the triple negative in that last sentence. It's certainly very difficult to work out what stance you're taking.

• No flipflopping at all.

There may be creative schemes to reward season tickets without affecting revenue - but they are far from easy to identify. I cant immediately think of any. Your scheme aint one of them I'm afraid.

With the number of people who travel to London on a Saturday to watch Arsenal, perhaps we should build a wall across the train tracks at the station to prevent them getting into London - and get Arsenal to pay for it.

• What a horrible use of the word 'ain't' but interesting cross thread promotion with the wall reference. The Donald Trump of the Gasroom.

• I think Trump has more charisma

• Just so I am now clear with all the diversions.....

Do you Eric and Doctor C now agree that the scheme Doc C outlined and Eric summarised is
    1) not a new scheme but one that has been tried elsewhere
    2) is almost certainly well known to those making decisions on season ticket pricing at all or most of the 48 lower league clubs
    3) the fact that none have adopted it would suggest that there are pretty good reasons (some of which are fairly obvious - not least potential for significant revenue diminution) why the scheme wouldn't work.

Three yes or no's would be fine.

Assuming yes to all, are you now ready to dump this idea.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    What a horrible use of the word 'ain't' but interesting cross thread promotion with the wall reference. The Donald Trump of the Gasroom.

Wish I'd said that!

Loved @drcongo's P J O'Rourke quote (but, typically, have forgotten it). If you Google P J O'Rourke quotes there are some wonderful examples. I particularly liked one about what turns the young into adults but have never mastered (or got anywhere near) how to copy text to another site.

• @DevC - isn't it a lovely day.

• Mr Dev C , You are inferring a large number of people travel into London by train from High Wycombe to watch Arsenal, where do you get this information from ?

• Hi @ChasHarps - isn't it a lovely day.

• Just a wee joke Chas in response to being accused of being like Trump. Not a serious proposal!

• That's the spirit @DevC . Let's all lighten up on this lovely summer day.

• Been glorious down here for 10 days now, Micra. Hawthorn spectacular, lambs gambolling on the moor, skys and seas blue. Life's pretty good isn't it.

• Sounds idyllic to me. No lambs gambolling hereabouts and plenty of low stratus until yesterday but .........

• .......life's good, yes. (Had to go back to your post - the old short-term problem.)

• 1) never said it was
    2) you've got a bit more faith in those running football clubs than I do
    3) see 2)

The rest of your post is quite bizarre. I haven't ever been behind a scheme so I don't really know how I'm supposed to "dump" anything. And the scheme that Dr.C was talking about was a completely different one. Still, you crack on. I get the sense you're rather pleased with yourself.

It's quite something though, your criticism of this and yet your bizarre suggestion of stopping OAP discounts whilst introducing a sliding scale of prices for 20+, 30+, 40+ etc fans. If ever a plan seemed to be beyond the logistical capabilities of the club, or hadn't considered potential drop in attendance/revenue, it's that one

• Morning Eric. Lovely day.

• The O'Rourke quote was on the Off Season Political Poll thread. It's the silly season!

• 1) No Eric but Dr C did.

2) I do have faith that if marketing professionals at 48 clubs armed with all the data all independently come to the same conclusion, that conclusion has a better chance of being right than an amateur shooting the breeze on an internet forum.

I will be interested to hear whether Dr C now agrees that his scheme is not quite the sure thing that he assumed.

Meanwhile Micra is right, its a beautiful day

• Morning Mr @micra, Indeed a very nice day indeed, far to pleasant to be spent reading the tedious trolling of Devsy !!

• Although presumably you did................

its "afternoon".