Skip to content

Gareth Ainsworth

Gareth is currently 5/2 favourite to be appointed the new Blackburn manager at Skybet. Has he been spotted in Blackburn?

Comments

• Interesting stuff. Blackburn fan. Former apprentices. Played against us on loan for Northwitch Victoria from Blackburn back in the early 90's. Heart strings!!

• From their forum (about their owners):

"They seem intent on having someone who can churn out young players hoping to keep selling them to pay the bills whilst they run it on a very small budget."

Suddenly GA seems like the perfect fit. Still, whilst the bookies have everyone above Evens I don't think we should read too much into it.

• Andrew Howard used those very words when he announced the 5 year contract of course. Their fans may simply be picking up on what they've heard and read about his achievements in those sort of circumstances.

• Hopefully Gaz would look at the basket case set up there and wait for something more secure to come along. I'd imagine Port Vale or Preston would be more likely eventual destinations.

• I think he's on record as saying that he would find the Blackburn job impossible to turn down. A massive fan since boyhood

• Hopefully if he goes there is a decent compensation figure in his contract. Part of that could then be used to get a quality striker in and perhaps appoint Paul Hayes as player manager.

Ideally I would prefer him to stay however.

• If Gareth was to leave I'd have Martin Allen or Ray Wilkins as my choices

• Keith Scott of course

• Martin Allen or Ray Wilkins. My word.

• I've a feeling Hayes is being lined up as our next manager

• I don't think Martin Allan could cope at Wycombe as he is used to having a massive turn over of players. I wouldn't be against Hayes as a manager.

• Assuming Dobbo does not go with Gareth, why not give him a go for continuity.
    As I have said before I would like Martin Allen.

• Hayes would be my choice.

• edited May 2016

Don't forget about Bloomfield - did his coaching badges a couple of years ago. IF Ainsworth were to go though, I'd fully expect his successor to be someone already at the club.

• Odds of 5/2 mean absolutely nothing at all. Bookies stab in the dark on managerial markets and cannot be used as credible sources unless they produce odds of 1/3 or lower.

• Why would anyone want Hayes to be the next manager? What qualities has he demonstrated that make him suitable? What skills does he have? What experience? What training?

• Well his feet are on the ground, as they can never got off it these days.

• What experience do many managers have before they take their first job? If dobbo was to stay and assist him, or even joint managers. At the minute it's all speculation anyway.

• The problem with Hayes as manager is i can see him carrying on with the turgid style of play so IF Ainsworth goes i would rather have a manager with no connection to the club who can come in with new ideas.

• Manager Hayes and Assistant coach Thommo. Hopefully they'll stay within the technical area for me.

• The problem in getting a manager in with no connection to the club and who is experienced is that it will be someone who is out of work and probably sacked from his last club. We do not have the money to pay compensation to any manager currently employed.

Hayes apparently loves the club and I see no real reason why he would want to continue playing hoofball. It is likely that he would have new ideas and perhaps attract a different type of player. He also probably has a good relationship with Howard and knows intimately the current financial situation at the club.

• Hayes would need an experienced guy as his number two maybe Nigel Worthington

• I love summer on the gasroom. Ainsworth is included in a 'next manager' market because he used to support the club and people are talking as if he has already gone!

• A bit more than a supporter of the club, he was actually born in Blackburn and started his career in Blackburn's youth team.

• @mooneyman the fact he apparently loves the club, knows the chairman and might want to play a different style of football are the most spurious reasons I can imagine for appointing anyone to the role.

It's a completely moot debate and I really don't think Gareth is ready to manage Blackburn. But were he to go I'd like the club to at least try and make a statement. The beautiful thing about our club is the proximity to London and the lack of pressure. It might suit someone like Gary Neville who'd be able to combine it with Monday night punditry. Or Frank Lampard / John Terry if they wanted to take a tentative step into management. That would be an appointment statement that would bring the crowds back and, given their enormous wealth, shouldn't cost too much in salaries.

If we're talking ex players I'd prefer Gary Doherty, an intelligent man who knows attack and defence, has coached in America and played at a higher level than Hayes. As former captain I'm sure he also 'loves' the club.

Or how about making a really progressive statement by appointing Shelley Kerr or another female manager? I've never worked in football but all my best bosses have been women, I'd love to see one get the chance at Wycombe.

In terms of realistic next managers, Keith Scott has grown on my this season with some intelligent commentaries on Player. The man I would really love to see at the club is Ian Holloway though. He would be amazing fun.

• I hate to be rude, but I would regard all of those as terrible appointments.

• Keith Scott? Why what has he done in management after Windsor?

• @alosius Your suggestions remind me of the last "big name" we appointed namely Tony Adams!