Skip to content

Gasroom 2.0

Comments

• Just a heads up that the site may go down briefly while I add a static IP address and an SSL certificate. Bear with me if it does.

• TomTom
    edited February 2015

A light blue background, similar to Gasroom 1.0 would be great. But overall it's fantastic!

• @Tom I like to be able to read the text. There's quite a few old eyes on here that need the contrast.

• bloody old people :) What about a (limitied) range of smilies/emoticons like these http://i48.tinypic.com/wvakgk.jpg

• Please, please tell me that suggestion is a joke?

• Gasroom II, son of gasroom etc but please don't call it 'Chairboys chat' as that sounds like a dating site

• I have to say, nearly a week in, i'm really enjoying the new Gasroom. I was one who would defend Gasroom 1.0 against any claims that it needed an update (possibly even clashing with yourself @drcongo, for which i apologize) but Gasroom 2.0 has been a stellar experience so far. Thank you!

• I don't think we need to have a blue background. Calling it Gasroom 2.0 is homage enough.

• @drcongo said:
    M3G 289 registered users, 1446 unique visitors

With them all being registered, will it be possible to check that they're singing?

• @OakwoodExile said:
    With them all being registered, will it be possible to check that they're singing?

Like it

• @BillStickers said:
    I don't think we need to have a blue background. Calling it Gasroom 2.0 is homage enough.

Agree, please this layout is pleasing to the eye and easily navigate. :)

• @floyd said:
    I have to say, nearly a week in, i'm really enjoying the new Gasroom. I was one who would defend Gasroom 1.0 against any claims that it needed an update (possibly even clashing with yourself drcongo, for which i apologize) but Gasroom 2.0 has been a stellar experience so far. Thank you!

Thank you sir. In the end, the software is not what makes a community successful or not, it's the people. My only real gripe with the old Gasroom was that it was impossible to use on mobile because of the scam ads that would redirect you as soon as you tried to view a thread. It'll be interesting to see whether mobile visits increase on this version as people get used to the idea that they can actually look at it on their phone. Plus I'm hoping to keep this site ad-free for ever*

• I don't want to be a Debbie Downer and I vastly appreciate what you've done here DrCongo, but I preferred Gasroom 1.0.

• But I was only punching the air near his face!

• @Chris said:
    But I was only punching the air near his face!

That whole saga remains one of the finest moments in Gasroom history!

@drcongo said:

My only real gripe with the old Gasroom was that it was impossible to use on mobile because of the scam ads that would redirect you as soon as you tried to view a thread. It'll be interesting to see whether mobile visits increase on this version as people get used to the idea that they can actually look at it on their phone.

Aye, i'm really enjoying the mobile accessibility.

• @floyd said:
    Aye, i'm really enjoying the mobile accessibility.

Its great on my windows phone

• For those who care about security, privacy and nerdy stuff: this site is now served over https only.

• Personally, I like the white background.

• All that's missing is Che , Tattler Eddie Monsoon, and the occasional Alan Parry rant.

• My only issue is that the comments are not 'top posted'. If the thread becomes too long it could be a pain to scroll to the end of the thread for the most recent comments.

• It automatically takes you to the last position in the thread that you viewed.

• @drcongo said:
    It automatically takes you to the last position in the thread that you viewed.

Thats a really neat feature. I like it

• @tom_doust said:
    Thats a really neat feature. I like it

Me too ,it is excellent as there is no need to backtrack on a long thread as on previous Gasroom.

• Stats for the first full week of Gasroom 2.0:

• Unique visitors: 2,135
    • Registered users: 322
    • Sessions: 9,615
    • Page views: 79,223
    • Avg pages per session: 8.24
    • Avg session duration: 9m 38s
    • Returning visitors: 77.7%
    • New Visitors: 22.3%
    • No. of countries visited from: 32
    • Top 5 countries:

• UK
      • Canada
      • Germany
      • United States
      • France
    • Browsers:

• Chrome (34.86%)
      • Safari (26.34%)
      • Internet Explorer (25.5%)
    • Operating Systems:

• Windows (61.68%)
      • iOS (22.22%)
      • Macintosh (8.40%)
      • Android (5.42%)
  • 9m 38s! Talk about a "sticky" site! Congratulations Dr Congo!

• Still no sightings of Monsoon , Tattler or Che. Are they sulking over the demise of the old Gasroom, or already appeared under new nicknames.

• I believe Tattler has accepted a pre-emptive two week ban before unleashing upon an unsuspecting public.

Either that or he's just become addicted to, ahem, some other "sticky" sites.

• @drcongo Really enjoying the new site, but the 'quote' facility seems to have stopped working for me, it just directs me to the comment box at the bottom of the page. This was a really useful feature when it worked, is it currently under repair?

• @Vital said:
    drcongo Really enjoying the new site, but the 'quote' facility seems to have stopped working for me, it just directs me to the comment box at the bottom of the page. This was a really useful feature when it worked, is it currently under repair?

I noticed that yesterday - working fine on the mobile site but not on desktop version.