Skip to content

Match day thread: Accrington Stanley

Comments

• 8 mins to go and no shot on target yet. Same old...

• Lol we are so sh*t...if like this next season . They will not get a penny from me

• The formation AND the strikers needs considering over the summer as this 4-3-3 don't work and the Hayes Thompson partnership don't work.

Roll on August

• Interesting that Siegrist played, I wonder if it was a trial for next season.

• The fans can see that Thompson and Hayes doesn't work but Ainsworth is so stubborn he will keep playing them. What a shame we can't afford to pay Thompson off so we're stuck with him for next season,not a good decision to give him a 2 year contract i just hope Ainsworth learns from it but probably not.

• "But but, we play better with Hayes in the side". Many here agreed the Hayes/Thommo combo, Ainsworth persists with pays no dividends.

My Wife told me the front lineup wouldn't change today and Ugwu's press interview during the week, was her cue.

Both are over the hill I'm afraid Ainsworth, trust us there to old for our high intencity "in your face" and tempo hoof play style.

• Hayes was impressive today particularly in the second half. On the balance of play, a draw was the least we deserved. Siegrist made some excellent saves and looked a good 'keeper - as indeed he should be with his international background in all the age groups up to U21 and his physique (a powerfully built 6'4.5). Other positives were the performances of Marcus Bean (MoM), Danny Rowe and Jerrel Sellars.
    Much more enjoyable than most recent matches despite the result.

• Would love to see Siegrist sign for us next season, but I suspect he will be out of our reach financially.

• My uneducated guess was that Gaz was testing him out with a view to a season long loan deal next season. Nervy start but looks a very good prospect.

• Not simply just a case of give him a game as there's nothing on it for us, to make him coming here actually worthwhile?

I'd be surprised if Lynch isn't first choice next year. And no loanee is coming from a higher club to be his deputy

• Lynch isn't upto it, sorry if we want to be in the top 3 u need a keeper who is bigger than 5ft 10.

• Like Martin Taylor was?

• @rmjlondon said:
    Lynch isn't upto it, sorry if we want to be in the top 3 u need a keeper who is bigger than 5ft 10.

He 187cm lol

• cant wait till the season is over nothing to play for now fed up

• Accrington attacked in numbers and with skill and pace. Their supporters made plenty of noise and seemed to really enjoy the goal. Good luck to them for the final game and (probably) next season in league 1.

We actually played ok today but as usual not enough up front. Hayes must go in the summer, although I think Thomo has something to offer with his pace. 3 new strikers with pace, power and skill required.

• Wow if Lynch is truly 6ft 1, he must be the shortest looking 6ft 1 ever seen!

• I recently saw Walsall play at Gillingham. Accrington's style was incredibly similar to Walsall & Walsall are in the League One play-offs. They tried to keep the ball on the deck and had two small strikers, ideal for counter-attacking. I liked watching their approach to the game &, despite losing two players over the summer, I think they'll do ok in League One.

Another club, along with Leicester, Burton Albion and Braintree Two who dispel the myth that you must have money to gain success. Tough on Cambridge United, York City and Eastleigh isn't it? But great for the rest of football!

• One downer on Accrigton was that they were probably the worst team I've ever seen for diving.

How the ref never gave a single booking for the theatrics I do not know.

• Hang on hang on Mr Worboys, did I imagine that Accrington are run by a multi-millionaire businessman? Probably shouldn't overdo the "No money" line for them!

• @Malone said:
    Wow if Lynch is truly 6ft 1, he must be the shortest looking 6ft 1 ever seen!

Bit over 6"1 tbh but maybe your a giant an everyone looks small to you!!

• @glenactico yep, at least 4 incidents that should have seen a booking

• @stella68 , I'd describe myself as 6ft 1, and probably no more muscular than him, but he definitely looks smaller.

• If Wikipedia is to be believed Alex is nearer 6'2" than 6'1". And, as anyone who saw him against Leeds will confirm, his reflexes, athleticism and courage are second to none. But given the choice (and on the assumption that he would be.affordable) I would prefer to see Benjamin between the sticks as No 1 - probably on a 5 month loan - with Alex out on loan himself but I've a feeling that we might not be able to invoke a 24 hour recall clause. Comments please.

• Thanks for the hospitality and 3 hard earned points today, hope you find your shooting boots for next week.
    Don't know if this is the best thread for this but, on my way back to the car today, I found two tickets for the Oxford v Wycombe game. I've sent details by email to Wycombe Wanderers of where I found them and what kind of tickets they were. So, if you've lost those tickets or know who has, they should contact Wycombe on Monday. I'm happy to post them to the club or owner if time allows.
    Do us a big favour and nick all the points at the Kassam.

• @Malone said:
    stella68 , I'd describe myself as 6ft 1, and probably no more muscular than him, but he definitely looks smaller.

Well your just gonna have to trust me he is bigger than 6"1 but if its a height comp then maybe wycombe should start recruitment in the nba! Thank god casper schmiecal lee camp freilding an many more top keepers dont beleive ya gotta be 6"5 to be a desent keeper aye!!!

• @Malone Accrington were doing equally well before the takeover. Having said that, the financial stability will help them in League One.

• he is nothing like 6ft 1 or 2, and he isn't upto it simple as that. He also isn't under contract so might leave anyway.

• @rmjlondon said:
    he is nothing like 6ft 1 or 2, and he isn't upto it simple as that. He also isn't under contract so might leave anyway.

Mate your gonna have to trust me he is !!

• I happened to walk past Lynch a couple of months ago outside AP and he is a lot taller than I thought (and he looks on the pitch). I'm 6'4 and I would say that he is definitely over 6 foot.