Skip to content

Match day thread: Wimbledon

13»

Comments

• Claudio Ranieri was a defender but he sets up Leicester in an attacking formation.

• @trevor I too hope he will in time. Sure, we need to be founded upon a solid defence, but I think we can say we've achieved that aim, so now let's address the appalling lack of goals. We'll probably have to wait until next season to see that happen though.

• @micra the last game I went to was against Morecombe and to be honest I invested in the share scheme and I bought season tickets for myself and my brother in the euphoria of last seasons performances. It is true that I have moved to Bicester since I bought my ticket but I just couldn't handle driving to watch what is arguably the worst brand of football I have ever seen since the Alan Smith days. The share scheme is something I am tied into and whilst I am a huge fan of our local side, I should be able to decide what is worth my money and what isn't. I am not expecting us to win the league but honestly how can anyone get any joy from watching Ainsworth's negative direct football with embarrassing time wasting antics, it's safe to say that I won't be renewing next season and no, no one is using the tickets, my bro decided to stop going as well. There is just no excitement left.

• Lol, I love a good flounce especially the facing drive from Bicester bit.

• @Morris_Ital said:
    Lol, I love a good flounce especially the facing drive from Bicester bit.

Yes, I consider that as 'the outskirts' on my journey.

It's not going to be Wembley every year.

• @fedup1980 You can't have been too happy with things when you signed up with that name

• Perhaps in the best traditions of space exploration he could do a slingshot around Aylesbury and build enough momentum to make it to Wycombe

• @Morris_Ital said:
    Perhaps in the best traditions of space exploration he could do a slingshot around Aylesbury and build enough momentum to make it to Wycombe

Brilliant banter

• @Chris - I hadn't spotted that the gentleman/lady registered his/her username in May last year whilst, I would have thought, still euphoric from last season's performances. I'm not sure that, overall, this season's performances have been very different from last season's other than during the run-in to Wembley when Stephen Craig and AAH were probably at their best and it may be that @fedup1980 made the decision at that time to become a regular this season and to chip in towards the all-round improvements on and off the pitch which he/she hoped the share scheme would bring. An impulse purchase, as it were.

We all make financial decisions which we sooner or later regret. About 30 years ago I put a £200 deposit on a second-hand car. Within a few days so many people had said what a rubbish make and model it was (can't remember now what it was) that I rang the dealer and said that I'd changed my mind. He was furious (having found a mug at last, I suppose!) and there was no way I was going to get my deposit back.

That game against Morecambe was one of this season's real low points. A 2-0 defeat and Matt Ingram sent off. That was 3 months ago and there have been a few fairly dire performances since but, until Saturday, I wouldn't have thought anyone who describes themselves as a "huge fan" would have wanted to pull the plug. But that is their prerogative of course and my motive in questioning @fedup1980 was genuine interest in the circumstances which led him/her to react like my Wimbledon pal. (In his case, he'd been a dedicated fan for 60 years!)

• @micra. That must have been one crappy car, or you must have been rolling in it. What would £200, adjusted for inflation, be worth today. Quite a bit I should have thought.

• I retired 20 years ago and never reached £20k (much to my daughter's incredulity). So no, not rolling in it - just very careful budgeting and abstinence plus the odd paying guest to help with the mortgage and school fees.

• I'm surprised that people who claim to have watched Wycombe so far back, reckon this is up there with the worst football we've seen.

Taylor, (while winning promotion!)
    Taylor, the next season
    Paul (4 centre mids across the park, every game is "tough" Lambert
    The times we've been scuffling against relegation, numerous.

I'd say all of these were worse than this year.

And if you only come to football for |"entertainment", rather than accept the lot of the lower league loyal fan, you might as well go and support Barcelona, or Real Madrid, who 99% of the time will entertain you.

• @Malone : it's not a "claim". My pal told me this morning that he started supporting Wimbledon as a 10-year-old in 1956. We don't know how long @fedup1980 has/had been supporting Wycombe. Not very long, I suspect.

• I am starting to worry about my memory. From what I recall of last season, from September (ish) through to January (ish) we played an inventive, fast-paced, counter-attacking brand of football that was very entertaining to watch (with the exception of the time-wasting tactics) . We then hit a bit of a slump but brought in Sam Saunders and evolved into a quite decent passing team before the injuries towards the end of the season and the state of Adams Park meant that we reverted to grinding out results (or not).

GA rolled the dice during the close season, but the players he brought in (on a shoestring possibly), generally (with a few honourable exceptions) weren't capable of playing the type of football I think he wants us to play and he reverted to Plan B - a solid defence and getting the ball forward quickly (i.e. hoofball).

The one observation I would make though is that I would personally have liked to have seen more of McGinn earlier. In an alternate reality it would have been interesting to see how we had developed if he had been an integral part early on. (I blame Bean for starting off the season so well!)

• edited April 2016

@micra my first matches were in the early 80's at loakes park so yeah not very long compared to some of the old timers on here but you know with work and all its not always possible to attend every game of every season, you can do what life hands you. Also @Morris_Ital is right, Bicester isn't exactly Mars but when the style of football is so uninspiring, I can't be arsed to make the 40 minute drive, simple as really

• Somewhat obscure reaction @fedup1980 but perhaps I shouldn't be surprised.

• @micra , why are you linking your pal's support of Wimbledon to what I said about supporting Wycombe?

• @bookertease Good summary of last season and had Saunders not been injured in the play-off final who knows what might have happened. (Mind, all that time wasting with 30 mins to go didn't exactly help!)

• I go to Adams Park expecting to see League Two football...most of it is less than sciintillating from both sides...hopefully a bit of skill showing every now and then and a battling win. So far this season it's not been too bad considering. Agree with @bookertease McGinn has been good since he came in.

• @Malone said:
    micra , why are you linking your pal's support of Wimbledon to what I said about supporting Wycombe?

Sorry, I think it's the onset of something! I hadn't realised that ? earlier in the thread others had made such claims. Mea culpa.

• @fedup1980 said:
    micra my first matches were in the early 80's at loakes park so yeah not very long compared to some of the old timers on here but you know with work and all its not always possible to attend every game of every season, you can do what life hands you. Also Morris_Ital is right, Bicester isn't exactly Mars but when the style of football is so uninspiring, I can't be arsed to make the 40 minute drive, simple as really

Oh I see. Missed your major revision until a few minutes ago. Sorry to lose you. "Huge fans" are a dying breed.