Skip to content

Match day thread: Wimbledon

Comments

• Rowe has returned from loan but he is injured.

• That ref was a very strange chap. Must be quite a young guy, very officious indeed, as if out to make a name for himself.

His treatment of Azeez, their sub, whilst hilarious to us, must have driven their lot mad with rage.

To not even let him come back on ages later, while we were making a sub, smacked of petty points scoring.

As for us, without Bean and O Nien bossing the centre, we looked absolutely clapped out.
    Defence weren't on it from the off, Harriman can't show his full ability in this odd current position, Hayes playing so wide and deep is horrible to see, and Thompson really makes me fear for him next season.

Still, it is just one game, albeit a horrible one, so look forward to us In the next 3 games against much lower teams. Fingers crossed!

• Brendan Malone was the referee who began the match and should have given a free kick just before there first goal, he then went off injured but didn't look injured and Alan Young who is a 1st year conference referee took over. I don't think many people even noticed apart from he looked like Gary Waddock his performance was poor but didn't cost us the points.

• Frankly the episode with Azeez was farsical. How stupid is he to not know he is not allowed a necklace. You are supposed to be a professional you muppet. The no necklace rule is not a new one. Stupid stupid stupid. The actions of the referee then just made the whole thing a comedy.

• the 4th official should have checked him before he was allowed to enter the field, he was then sent off to get rid of it and came back on without permission from the official, which is a mandatory yellow card and direct free kick to the opposition. not a farce at all.

• I think Wimbledon coaches need to read the rule book, if a player goes off because they need to change/remove clothing they have to wait until the ball goes out of play to come back on. As opposed to an injury when they can be waved back on whenever.

• A few thoughts.
    On the balance of play the Dons deserved to win we didn't seem to wake up until after the penalty.
    I used to have considerable sympathy for their fans after they were sold down the river but I've gradually come to the conclusion that their travelling support are for the most part a horrible bunch.
    I'm not a big fan of points targets.

• I had a real sense of anticipation of exciting football after Ainsworth's comments about "letting the side off the leash" only to be dashed by, once again, a conservative formation and direct playing style. The defence had an off day - they're allowed one this year! - but their poor play exposed how lacking we are in other departments. It is certainly not looking like a team that should be aspiring to reach the playoffs at the moment, I'm afraid.

• The forth official who they plucked from the stands refereed myself in an under 18's game about a week ago and missed a horrible studs up tackle on me. Interesting to see he had no idea as a forth official either allowing Azzez on with a necklace!

• @rmjlondon the farce I was referring to was between player, 4th official and coaching staff. How difficult is it to not wear bling?

• I thought the referee was poor and allowed himself to be surrounded on a number of occasions trying to get our players booked, he even put his hand in his pocket to book Matty B and then changed his mind.

• It's a difficult decision, would I rather Ainsworth chased the playoffs with whichever brand of football he thinks is most likely to get points or would I rather see something more atrractive. Okay it didn't work against Wimbledon but it has been working when we manage to keep tight defensively. I can't understand the comments about not wanting us to get into playoffs with this style of football. Always want the team to finish as high as possible. Plus the money from at least an extra game must be useful.

• Yesterday's team selection killed us, if he thinks Lyburg and Gozi aren't a better proposition than tommo and blooms is the centre mid we need , he ain't got a clue
    It was obvious that tommo was giving us nothing as usual by halftime, why didn't he go with a different approach, throw the 2 big men on , take off the old boys, and do what theirs did to us all game, take off blooms who was embarrassingly bad move Harris back to right back and put Jason in midfield for that bit of steel against bullman etc etc
    Gareth leaves it too late then makes ludicrous subs, none of which are game changers tactically wise

• We all seem to be now singing from the same hymn sheet. Sticking with usual culprits upfront regardless is now plain to see. We should have fought fire with fire in the second half (coz we got nout else) but again no tactical substitutions when called for. Miss a few key players and we look dire, it's very hard on the eye this direct approach from the backs to upfield, seriously can we play more than 5 mins of deck football.

To get the best out of the new loanees and even our own guys we need to play it around to feet and move into areas of the pitch defenders don't want to go and attack at pace. We our one diemensional and predictable I'm afraid to say (still same sh1t served up).

• Ironically, @fedup1980, a pal of mine - a die-hard Wimbledon fan for decades - has reacted similarly to you this season. He lives in Great Kingshill, is not in the first flush of youth and it takes him an hour and a half on average to get to Kingsmead. Like you, he is a season ticket holder.
    What really surprised me was his decision not to come to yesterday's match, given that he has always come to previous games as my guest. He seems to have become disillusioned by recent results and the style of play, including the amount of hoofball.

You say that you stopped going but did not say how long ago. Did you see any of the recent home wins, for example? Do you live locally? Does someone else use your Season Ticket perhaps? I find it hard to get my head round the idea of having a season ticket and investing in the Share Scheme but not attending matches. Whatever the performances - and there have been some bad ones - I think a lot of regulars enjoy what the club like to refer to as the Matchday Experience. I know I do.

• @micra said:
    I think a lot of regulars enjoy what the club like to refer to as the Matchday Experience. I know I do.

Well I like the regular beer festival in the Vere Suit. Pity about the actual game

• I enjoy the final whistle when I can go home!

• we where poor have been for awhile blaming the ref wont hide that .

• I don't think many people are blaming the ref for the defeat, but he did ruin the game with his complete lack of control. We'd probably have still lost with a good ref, but at least the game may have been a better spectacle and not so scrappy and niggly.

• Smell the coffee,we have been awful since Christmas,we've not scored more than one goal in a game in 2016 we've only scored 3 goals in a league game on the opening day,our football is niggly and boring and every week we are given sob stories about small squads,small budgets and injuries and illness.We play 2 over the hill similar players up front with no width and think it's a good idea to waste time even when losing,obviously once you get into that habit it stays.If we do get to the playoffs and by a miracle go up we will just come straight down.GA has done a marvellous job but the football we play and the attitude the players display ie cheat and waste time must end before we all get bored to death.

• It's easier to stay in a league than it is to get promoted.

We might not have played like Barcelona, but we're still seventh. This isn't Peter Taylor limping over the line territory yet - we've only lost one of the last six. Hardly awful.

• Peter Taylor got us AUTOMSTIC promotion . we have been dire. We might be seventh however we have no chance of promotion if we cannot score!!

• Scored in 5 out of the last 6 haven't we?

• the cheating and time wasting isn't making us look good either i don't want us having a bad reputation in football

• In fairness, the football under Taylor was equally horrific to watch, possibly more so and he had a much bigger budget behind him.

• well taylor has always been a defensive manager ainsworth should be more attacking

• Why? Because he was an attacking player? Peter Taylor was a winger.

• i don't remember him being a attacking manager his tactics always seems to be on the defensive side most often .

• I think we've got mixed up here. Yes, Taylor was a turbo-defensive manager (at least he was at Wycombe anyway) but he was an attacking player. Which goes to show an attacking player (like Ainsworth) does not necessarily make an attacking manager.

• well i was hoping ainsworth in management would be like his style as a player maybe he will be in time