Skip to content

Match day thread: Bristol Rovers

Comments

• You think that was better than against Exeter?

• I'd agree that we were better against Exeter, and I thought Rovers were the team looking far more likely to score second half, so it was pleasing to see us find a win when we were slightly up against it. Their centre backs looked a liability all afternoon though, so we were always likely to get chances and fantastic to see Luke take his.

On a side note, have we had a more likeable player in recent years than O'Nien? Fantastic to see a young lad playing football with a smile on his face. He'll be a great ambassador for our club if we can keep him long enough!

• I missed the Exeter game.

• I'd have said 2 decent home games in a row. Maybe we are getting over whatever the "home game problem" was. Probably way too soon to say that though, but I am an optimist.

• Could it be that getting Banton and Holloway out of the club has help squad unity and spirit?

• Agreed regarding Luke, gladly took the time to have photo with my nephew in the Vere after I the game, top lad.

• Luke popped in to the Sports Hall on Monday during one of our 50+ sessions (with Jason M or Ryan A - blame my ageing eyesight) wanting to have a game of table tennis. The other guy said he'd come back in 27 years which I suppose meant it was RA. My point really was that I would have loved to challenge Luke to a game. Probably would have wiped the floor with me. But what a breath of fresh air he is. Great lad.

• Whoever signs Luke next season will be very fortunate.

• Yeah, I think it's unrealistic to expect to see Luke here next season - if he wanted to stay he would have been signed up to a long-term contract by now. Our only hope on that front is promotion, I think.

I really hope the Bean injury isn't too bad - having him on the pitch alongside McGinn and O'Nien gives the former the ability to sit deep and direct play, a la Michael Carrick and the latter the ability to scurry into the box and use those remarkable skills of pinpoint passing to actually score goals. Have all his strikes for us been headers? The one thing he lacks is shooting with pace and strength - but other than that he's one of the most skillful players we've had in recent years.

If the Bean injury is bad I hope Danny Rowe gets recalled asap and starts in midfield, certainly ahead of Bloomfield. It was another poor performance yesterday, albeit out of position, forcing Harriman to do the work of two players and meaning most play went down the left wing. Other than that though, everyone played really well and it was a pleasure to watch the team play it mostly on the deck and to each other (apart from a couple of wasted McGinn clearances and some poor long kicks from Allsop). I left yesterday feeling much more content than I think any other match this season bar Millwall.

• Perhaps I'm missing something but surely it would have been better to play sido rb and Harriman rm and move blooms in cm after bean went off?

• @aloysius O'Nien scored a long range cracker at Yeovil.

• @aloysius - he has not been offered a contract yet, nobody has ... we have I think 12 players out of contract in the summer and Luke was asked in the Q and A and said nothing had been discussed yet .... we will probably find out we have an option on him as we did on Holloway very soon and all out worries will be over.

• and Danny Rowe cannot be recalled in the first 28 days of his loan per FA Rules.

• Wasn't he only loaned out for 28 days?

• @mooneyman;

"Could it be that getting Banton and Holloway out of the club has help squad unity and spirit?" ,

What's your problem, do you need help with your fixation about the pair?

• It's a perfectly fair question.

• edited February 2016

@drcongo How is this a fair question enlighten me?

getting Banton and Holloway out *** when Banton and Holloway ***asked to leave to play regular Football so why get in the way facts while composing hey.

Several minutes lave lapsed so I will just edit away, so @mooneyman and @drcongo have you found any articles or WWFC tweets stating the Club's position in getting "Banton & Holloway out to help squad unity and spirit" or did you see or hear Ainsworth state they wanted to play regular football - this is a fair question?

• @Ciderkld This is a discusdion board and I don't have to get your prior permission to ask questions on here. If you don't like reading my opinions, then use the ignore button, I am sure someone can show you how to operate it!

• Banton was a pain in the arse ! FACT and Holloway becoming similar, well done to GA for getting rid and bringing the squad we have tighter together.

• edited February 2016

Oh discussion board to show your distaste of (loaded question) particular players who have left for playing reasons (and not purged) and showed no ill towards the Club.

I'm afraid as a football nut I like footballing conversations apart from casting aspersions to suit ones narrative so I decline on the ignore button feature.

Anyway I am done as I don't expect many on this forum want to hear our spate any more.

• @richmayes999 Putting 'fact' in capital letters doesn't make something a fact ! FACT. If you have any evidence, put it forward.

• oh @Chris please bore off !

• everybody knows he didn't wanna put a shift in and work hard, same with Holloway I have seen every game for 3 years and I know what Ainsworth expects and we are in decent form now and hope it can continue.

• edited February 2016

It might be nothing to do with putting a shift in, it might just be that he is not capable of playing the style of play that Ainsworth asks over 90 minutes. Fair enough, let's hope it works out for him elsewhere. But I've heard no indication that he was a pain in the arse. He might be, he might not be. Feel free to speculate and say you think he probably was, but let's not claim to know things that we don't eh?

• Perhaps Chris you can tell Cider that it is permissable to speculate on players and ask questions!

• @rmjlondon Did you get this FACT from working in the club shop serving Gareth Ainsworths' skinny late by any chance?

• to be honest Ive no idea why he ever signed him, he is a journeyman already and came on and scored a goal against us in 1 game in which we were so far ahead of the opposition it was embarrassing

• I think it's more of a question why he (Banton) actually agreed to come here. He is a talented footballer (fact/FACT/IMHO) but he's not (I don't think) got the 'all for one' type mentality that GA has built up within the squad. That's not a criticism of the lad, its just who he is. My understanding (friend of a friend of a player-type so not that great a source) was that he was quite well liked within the squad, but everyone knew after a few weeks that he wasn't really a fit for the type of football we play.
    I guess GA was hoping that he was a bit more mentally like PCH and he could work on him and maybe Banton was hoping that GA could develop that side of himself. But from what I have heard there was never any ill-feeling to him within the club whilst he was here or when he left.
    As for Holloway... nope no idea.

• cos nobody else wanted him probably.

• @Ciderk1d you're possibly reading an awful lot into the question that may not actually be there.

Maybe if it was phrased slightly differently you could join in without the personal attacks. How about:

Is it possible that Banton and Holloway leaving has helped with the dressing room atmosphere and strengthened the unity of the remaining squad?

And I still think it's a fair question, as there's been plenty of examples this happening in the past. Especially the removal of the Herbalife mafia.