Skip to content

McCarthy signs til the end of the seasons + best loanees + legendary striker discussion

Comments

• Agree on Trotta and Heaton. I'd add Frankie Fielding, Sam Saunders and Ricardo Batista as well.

Rob Lee was a good signing for us and in certain games looked imperious. Not sure where your dislike comes from. If you said Neil Lennon I'd be more inclined to agree with you.

• No way, Rob Lee was immense. His last game for us a Cheltenham was one of the best individual performances I've seen from a player in a Wycombe shirt.

I still don't know how we managed not to win that game comfortably...

• Agreed Rob Lee had some excellent games for us. The problem at that time, Lee was pulling the strings in midfield and we were having large amounts of possession but seem to lack a creative midfielder or forward with enough guile to unlock stubborn defences.
    The playoff 2nd leg at Whaddon Rd was a classic example.

• Anyone remember Mark Foran as a candidate for worst loanee?

He was so bad that the Wycombe fans cheered when he got sent off at Notts County

• Trevor Aylott must be up there (or was he just a short term contract).
    Could a worst ever X1 be put together?

• Drewe Broughton takes some beating.

• Tony Cunningham ? Anthony Jeffries ? Reece styche ?

• @eric_plant - Foran would get my vote for worst player I've ever seen for Wycombe but I wasn't there for Carlos Lopez's now almost legendary appearance (up at Cambridge?).

• The annoying thing about Brughton was that he was actually very effective when he played against us. He was the epitome of the big strong target man who was pretty immobile but who you could lump it long to and would win a lot of headers

• @ChasHarps Tony Cunningham was an actual signing rather than on loan wasn't he?

A rare false step from the great M O'N

• @MindlessDrugHoover I was there that fateful night in Cambridge. It had to be seen to be disbelieved.

He must be the worst "footballer" ever to take part in a professional game

• It was one of the oddest things I've ever seen.

Here's his Twitter account https://mobile.twitter.com/cordobeslopez

• @eric_plant said:
    Anyone remember Mark Foran as a candidate for worst loanee?

He was so bad that the Wycombe fans cheered when he got sent off at Notts County

Did you have to! That is a memory I hoped would stay forgotten forever

• 'I was there that fateful night in Cambridge. It had to be seen to be disbelieved.
    He must be the worst "footballer" ever to take part in a professional game'

I have never been good at playing football. I have never thought I could play better than any professional player. Until I saw Carlos Lopez.

• Funny how these best player debates nearly always switch to worst player debates.

How does that happen?

• The glut of choice.

• Shout out for Nathan Tyson as best loanee.

• Or Luke Moore - 4 goals in 6 games.

• I always thought Luke Moores record was better than that. Didn't he score a hattrick on his debut?
    Paul Hayes's loan spell with us would stack up against Luke Moore pretty well.

• No his debut was up at Notts County along with Taylor. His hat trick came in the home game against Grimsby

I think Steven Taylor's loan spell is head and shoulders above any other. One of the best players I've ever seen play for us

Martin Taylor was originally on loan as well, and he deserves a mention. He played a huge part in keeping us up that season

• @Rolo said:
    Shout out for Nathan Tyson as best loanee.

With you on that. The last truly exhilarating centre forward I can remember us having.

• Dean Morgan and Stuart Beavon were both pretty exhilarating. But I think Tyson is the best striker I've seen playing for Wycombe.

• The longer-standing supporters among us might want to add Noel Ashford, Nikki Evans and, more recently, Sean Devine.

All strikers and it's just occurred to me that the thread started out to be about loan players and players anywhere on the pitch. Not like me to stray off topic!

• If we are talking best strikers all the above have been a joy to watch but best striker is an easy one for me.

Simon Garner

• Non-league I know but Bodger Horseman was, by a country mile, the most prolific goalscorer (several hundred I think).

• Mark West for me - the Lineker of non-league. Don't think we've had a decent regular goalscorer since Scott McGleish have we?

• Andy Rammell was pretty ace too. But Simon Garner - a different class indeed.

• Tony Hemmings for me.

• I still remember with fondness the up front partnership of Garner and Regis.....

• My best ever team....no loanees..

Taylor
    Cousins
    McCarthy
    Williamson
    Vinnicombe
    Guppy
    Brown
    Rhino
    Carroll
    Garner
    Devine.