Skip to content

McCarthy signs til the end of the seasons + best loanees + legendary striker discussion

edited February 2016 in Football

On Twitter now. Great signing.

Comments

• Great news!

• Superb!

• Wonder if this means Pierre is on his way?

• Fantastic news, well done Gaz

• no Jason is superb and had the game he had on Saturday been at home people would have been saying Mawson who !

• Excellent news

• I thought you preferred leggy brunettes compared to blondes !!

• Great seems a good lad

• Uncalled for Chas. In any case McCarthy is a ginge isn't he.

• @ChasHarps said:
    I thought you preferred leggy brunettes compared to blondes !!

Yellow, red, black or white add a little bit of moonlight

• Hopefully he will be played in his best position of central defender even if that means Stewart sitting on the bench.

• Shows what I know after watching football for more years than I can remember. I saw Jason play in his first three games for us & I thought, send him back. How wrong was I!
    I truly believe that Jason is the best loan player we have ever had including Alfie. Just a dream but how about both Alfie & Jason representing England together one day. Stranger things have happened! I haven't always been wrong as I have spotted a few future England players over the years. I suppose most of us can say that though.

Anyway thank you Jason and good luck for the rest of your career.

• Don't get me wrong Alfie and Jason are great players, and I am very excited about having Jason for the rest of the season, I get the impression that people think Pierre is somewhat lesser a player than the above two. With probably twice as many appearances than Alfie surely Pierre is amongst the same caliber of player.

• They are good The Chair but not as good as our highest level performing centre back partnership Johnson & Williamson, neither will play regular Premier League football never mind international.

• You maybe right leo & perfidious however both Johnson & Williamson were with us for a longer period. A number of fans were once having ago at Rus Martin but with the exception of when he was rubbish against MK who had 10 men at the time I predicted that he would play for his country. People laughed at me. Still I once predicted that Jason Solaman would play for England. I was so wrong!

• @TheChair said:
    Still I once predicted that Jason Solaman would play for England. I was so wrong!

Don't worry. Alan Beeton was once claimed to be on subject of a tug-of-war between Liverpool & Juventus.

• I remember that there was a rumour re Liverpool at the time. Still we can't win em all.

• Great news. Hopefully a bit of stability will mean a decent run at centre back.

Probably my favourite player at the moment

• @perfidious_albion , was Johnson and Williamson really our highest performing partnership? Or do you mean they were the pair who went to the highest level after?

The former, I'd argue against, the latter is fact.

Williamson was outrageously too good for the division in his last 6 months, but I'd argue Johnson didn't really match that. As a pair, I remember many shouts of "get an experienced head in to help them", and Adams turfing Johnson out to either left back, or bench. I even remember Johnson himself saying something along the lines of "I Know I'll never play in the premier league but..."

I'd say McCarthy and Bates were a better combo, and also Pierre and Mawson.

Best player of the lot? I'd say Williamson has it at the moment. Time will tell on Mawson, he'll really need a big step up though.

• The best loan defender we've had was Stephen Taylor. I thought he'd be a future England captain.

• Roger Johnson was immense for us. We've had more than our share of high quality centre backs over the years. And also Luke Oliver.

• I hope your tongue is firmly in your cheek @Chris when you mention the mighty Luke. I nominate Mead and Phillips.

• Oliver and Duberry, did they ever play together?!?!?!

• Will we ever forget it. Ironically, Luke Oliver, playing at full-back that dreadful night in 'Oodersfield', was the pick of the back four.

• I think McCarthy is as good as I've ever seen at Wycombe, and potentially better than Williamson. I also don't think Pierre is that far behind him.

• @perfidious_albion they certainly did, wasn't it our actual centre back combo for a while?

Who can forget Duberry's "we're not here to make up the numbers" warcry! epic.

• Steven Taylors loan spell, was by far and away the best ive seen from a defender in a blue shirt.

• Agreed Chas, and not just a defender.

• Steven Taylor wins it for me too but Marcello Trotta comes a close second and certainly wins on excitement, entertainment and goals. Loses massively on chant though. In terms of effectiveness Tom Heaton and Jordan Archer have probably been the best bits of loan business in our league history. Rob Lee and Ray Wilkins the worst (if they even count).