Skip to content

Match day thread: Plymouth

Comments

• Something, i completely forgot about, but have just read on the Plymouth forum.

"Can't help but wonder if the pre kickoff sprinkler fiasco was a bit of headgame payback for questioning their use of GPS on the players before the match at their gaff."

Knowing Gaz's little mindgames/tricks, i would be suprised if that wasn't a preplan to upset Plymouth's little scrumpycart .

• Plymouth are a disgrace I can't stand bitter poor losers well done Gaz and the lads today

• If only Rich was still around to tell us what goalie we'll be bringing in on loan this week :(

Will it be Nick Pope, Emi Martinez, or will we have to survive without any inside info from reliable sources and have to wait until the club announce it? #bringbackrichmayes

• I would have a small wager on Flahavan on a short term deal but who knows.

• Ingram back for a game on loan?

• @Rhino Have to say I agree with you, today was a far cry from the play off performances last season. I know how this board would have looked this evening had it been Stevenage (for example) that had won at Adams Park with the same negative approach. Winning isn't everything.

• DOOB YOU TRAITOR WERE YOU EVEN THERE

• @Doob football is about results. With our recent form and given our misfortune with losing our goalkeeper so early in the game, winning ugly was likely the only option? No pleasing some.

• Football may well be about results, but it is also about wonderful stories like Baz Richardsons...

"I think I'll be a bit of a tin man in the morning"

https://audioboom.com/boos/4126633-barry-richardson-post-match-interview

• the boys had to play on a disgusting surface against top of the league opposition and we beat em .all this crap we played very well and stopped them by pressing and harrying we aint barcelona we do what we do and we are good at it on our day .so if you want slick passing etc i am afraid you need to look elsewhere tor your footy fix i will still be going good days and crap days and believe me i have a grizzle about the team but they are MY team and i love em.

• No one seems to have mentioned that when the forth official held up the board before half time it had 5 minutes on, Adams complains and it's changed to 9 minutes. Didn't realise he was Alex Ferguson!! Fans comment on out gamesmanship, it could be argued that what he did was cheating!!

• @croider My money would be on Joe Lumley or Jesse Joronen.

• Whilst I admire Plymouth and I hope they do get promoted at the end of the season (hopefully at the expense of Oxford or Bristol Rovers!), I do recall them 'killing the game' very effectively at Adams Park earlier this season whilst holding onto a narrow lead. A very entertaining match became very niggly and bitty in the last half hour with their players continually going to ground with apparent injuries, so whilst it's a side of our game I don't like, it's all rather 'pot kettle black' when fans accuse of doing things they happily see their own team doing when holding onto a valuable 3 points.

Aside frome that, anyone hoping to see an out of form opposition, with a 46 year old who hasn't played in 10 years in goal, away at one of the divisions top sides play expansive, attacking football is living in cloud cuckoo land!

• @Wycombe85 agree with your sentiments entirely. Whilst I thought that they were marginally the better side earlier in the season at AP, I left the ground feeling we were very unlucky. My aged memory tells me we hit the woodwork 2 maybe 3 times and had enough chances to get at least a draw. I also remember Derek Adams taking off Reid with a decent chunk of the 2nd half to go and tactically going for the "protect the lead" method. DAs' post match comment when he claimed that he could "almost see the relief on Pierres' face". Well there is such a thing as karma and from what I understand Reid was reduced to a bit part performance by the centre back partnership and we played the.same game at their place. Tough doggies do door and accept defeat with a touch more grace.
    What is it with big "city" teams, wy are they always so ungracious in defeat?

• If you seriously want my views on the performance, Dr C, these are they.

I saw a hardworking battling combative performance generating a win away at a top three side. It was thoroughly enjoyable. Pierre was outstanding, clearly playing now below his level. Sadly that cannot continue for much longer. Honourable mentions too for Harriman, Cowan-Hall and Ugwu amongst others.

The team style is set up for away games, eating up opposition pressure and hitting on the break. I can see why that doesn't always translate so well to home performances. I would have thought those making the long trip down thoroughly enjoyed themselves yesterday though.

Still a little angry ay Plymouth, the players for trying to score while the opposition goalkeeper lay screaming in agony on the ground and worse the supporters giving dogs abuse to a young lad at the start of his career being stretchered out of the ground, no doubt fearing that a nascent career was today coming to an end. Get well soon Alex.
    Top of the league on points, bottom for class.

As for me , I had a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon, a great evening watching an outstanding band and looking forward to an enjoyable Monday morning at work.

• Good account @DevC; Nice to read something from you about a football match. Glad you are enjoying life as, believe it or not, so am I !

• Long may that continue, Mr Micra.

• Just saw the extended highlights and it has to be said Gareth was a bit petulant with not shaking hands and aggressive attitude.

• I'd love to know the story behind that, Adams must of gone out of his way to cause a response like that from our Gareth, don't think I've seen him refuse to shake hands before.

• Don't think Gaz has heard the last of that

• @DevC said:
    and looking forward to an enjoyable Monday morning at work.

One of the great football joys, when you beat a rival whose town you work in.

• During the game there was " banter" between Barry Richardson & one of the Plymouth Bench which seemed less than cordial.Pierre had to be calmed down by Richardson at the end during the melee and having been at the game there was a lot of physical challenges by both teams on a poor service with wind swirling around. Wycombe deserved the win with great performances all round but a special mention for Bean having been out for so long his physical presence certainly added some bite to the midfield where we have been coming up short. Like others posted I was glad that GA made some changes. Hope McCarthy can come back outstanding talent . Regarding the delayed start it was the officials that noted the problem with the pitch GA had only just come out of the tunnel and was called over by the ref who showed him the problem. Likewise living an working in Devon is certainly going to be enjoyable in the coming weeks. Thanks lads.

• After a couple of days under the weather, it's good to come on here and realise I didn't hallucinate us winning at a top of the league team after a shocking recent run of results.

Such a key game to win, as the playoffs could easily have started to get away from us. Now we're a point or 2 off a couple of the places, and have a couple of games in hand on some. Good position.

Need to make a good call on a keeper now.

• Two of the Plymouth bench marched down the touch line when Lynch was being attended, stood there for several minutes questioning the linesman if it was a real injury (!). As for Gaz not shaking hands: to smile and shake for the cameras / fans whilst saying something inflaming is an underhand but oft used ploy which I believe is what their manager did. A bundle on the pitch at the end of the game seems to be an extra treat on the really long trips, Morcambe being the last one.

• Well the locals are distinctly not happy!

They think that there was excessive "feigned" injuries and taking too long with throws. Maybe with the throws, but then that's what all teams do. Otherwise didn't see it myself. Interested what others at the game thought. Rose tinted spectacles from me or sour grapes from them?

• DevC, if Plymouth got beat 6-0 and were totally outplayed their fans would blame the ref and the oppositon for cheating,they're the sorest losers in League 2 after Oxford.

• All teams waste time when they're ahead these days; sadly it's just part of football. We've seen enough of it from visiting teams over the last couple of years and we get annoyed by it, but it seems that so-called `bigger' clubs really can't stand it from us, probably because they feel they have some God-given right to beat us (see also, Poxford fans' rantings about cheating, dim floodlights, the grass being too long). What Pilgrims fans should concentrate on is why their team of world beaters couldn't seriously test a 46-year-old stand in keeper who hadn't played a league game for 11 eleven years.

• Good post @MindlessDrugHoover.
    On one specific point, I've a feeling our lights have been criticised both for being too bright and not bright enough. I did comment at the Leyton Orient game that there seemed to be shadowy areas (which is disappointing as they were replaced in the summer with supposedly superior ones). Maybe (as someone suggested) that was because it wasn't completely dark, though I've never understood the logic/physics behind that.

• @micra I thought there were a few grey areas at the Orient game, myself.