Skip to content

Holloway (and other stuff)

124»

Comments

• Interesting post @bookertease based on direct experience of what it feels like to follow Wycombe at home this season. I know performances in away games have been much better but that doesn't help to boost home gates. Indeed, it is probably counterproductive insofar as expectations are raised, only to be dashed when the floaters drop in for the odd game at Adams Park.
    I still look forward to every game almost as enthusiastically as I looked forward to watching United 70 years ago - Maidstone, that is. I will keep going for as long as I can, whatever the performance or the results. I have made countless friends through supporting the Wanderers and thoroughly enjoy their company at matches and elsewhere. I still can't get over that extraordinary piece of "advice" from @DevC. As I said earlier, he really doesn't "get" it.

• I'm a season ticket holder who travels 300+ miles for at least half the home games on offer (plus a few away ones) and I'm struggling to match the cynicism on offer here. We're not doing too badly - cheer up!

• I even got a mate to buy a half season ticket. Never been before. Game 1 -home to Villa. Looking good. Game 2 oops - home to Orient. I think he is wondering what else he could have spent the cash on.. But, hey, that's life.

• @bookertease . The problem being of course that Bean has been fit for three games now and the manager has justified his decision to rather have McCarthy play the role instead . He is quoted as saying "just because I player is fit again does not mean he deserves to go straight back into the squad" which seems to suggest the manager currently does nnot hold your views ?

• I guess we will have to accept the manger was ex "crazy gang" and he appears to have adopted their style of play !

• I don't necessarily think what Ainsworth has to say on player fitness is to be trusted, harking back to the playoffs. It might be the case that Bean is fully fit and McGinn (sub in the Villa game) and McCarthy are preferred, but I suspect not.

• A week or two before Christmas (before the County or Oxford game, can't remember) Marcus Bean told us that he expected to be available for Crawley or Morecambe so it is disappointing that, 6 weeks later, he is either deemed insufficiently fit to leave the bench or regarded as less likely to deliver the goods than a much less industrious player or one who is mainly considered a central defender.

• Pretty sure this is nothing more than taking longer to return from injury than expected. He's knocking on a bit.

• Yeah, I'm probably one of those on the board who verge more towards the conspiracy theory generally but I see none here. Bean is so clearly first choice defensive midfielder that I'm sure he'll be back in the team as soon as he is fully fit.

The only tinge of conspiracy that passes the Aloysius sniff test is the idea that the conditions of McCarthy's loan extension mean he gets played every match when available. I can imagine Ainsworth wanting to give Jombati a match last week to stop him getting too disheartened, in which case giving McCarthy a run-out in an experimental midfield kinda makes sense. This week I think we'll see McCarthy back at right-back and Jombati back on the bench - as I don't see the McCarthy loan being extended any further I think this will be the last time this conundrum comes up.

• @aloysius said:
    Yeah, I'm probably one of those on the board who verge more towards the conspiracy theory generally but I see none here. Bean is so clearly first choice defensive midfielder that I'm sure he'll be back in the team as soon as he is fully fit.

Seems odd to put him on the bench if you aren't prepared to use him.

• Jombati was very unlucky to be kept out I thought, and McCarthy has done well. But playing McCarthy centre mid with 2 proper mids on the bench did scream out of "has to play" clause

• I thought Jason McCarthy played well in midfield. Better than Bean would have done in my opinion. It's true he's a better defender but any talk of must play clauses is nonsense.

If I were manager McCarthy would be a must starter if he's fit. Hope we can keep him a bit longer

• I thought McCarthy started well but was soon found wanting to be honest

I don't really know why Rowe is continually overlooked for this role. He has looked great there whenever I've seen him

Nonsense about Bean by the way Righty. He was having a great season until he got injured

• Agree on Bean, and would have thought he'd be back sooner rather than later

• Really Righty?
    McCarthy did the defensive bits ok (as you'd hope) but tended to drop too deep at times (as you'd expect) and looked like he might possess some vision but sadly lacked on the execution - but
    have you not been watching Bean at all this season, or indeed the latter part of last season? He's been immense for us at times. I hope he's fully fit and ready for tomorrow - he'll make a big difference to the stability and structure of the team.

• Rowe had a shocker against Northampton, although he scored am I right in thinking that was his last start?

• The goal conceded v Northampton, where Rowe was heading a different imaginary ball is comical.