Skip to content

Wycombe Wanderers live on TV over the years

Comments

• @Paul_B I definitely watched the entire game live. Maybe I was using the BBC Sport app?

• Nice work @Paul_B - one small thing, not sure if this is on mobile only, but I can't see dates for the games.

• @Malone said:
    2x6-0 defeats aside wasn't there also a Huddersfield away on a Thursday night, mad kick off 6.30ish, on that fated "On Digital" channel? 2-1 defeat, someone got knocked out, I think?

It was actually a sunday night at 6.30

• @Malone Wasn't the "knock out" Ian Simpemba televised away game v Sheffield Wednesday 5-10 minutes after he scored?

• Can't believe this classic against Rotherham has been forgotten: http://chairboys.co.uk/onthenet/news0809/feb2009.htm#ROTHERHAM

Think I flatlined around the hour mark.

• Who was Casement? Don't remember him?

• Chris Casement, on loan ginger defender from Ipswich.

• I don't remember him at all.

Who was the young centre half we had on loan from Ipswich? (under Gorman maybe?) I seem to remember him being pretty good

• Aidan Collins, remember him having a good game at underhill at CB, his career soon petered out at Cambridge Utd and Chelmsford City.

• @bill_stickers Whilst I think what I said about the BBC is true, I've since come to know that the Barnet game was shown abroad - meaning that you probably watched a live stream of the game online - along with several others no doubt.

@drcongo Thanks, and yes - the bigger the screen size, the more information is available to you. I did think this myself and despite going to the effort of making it responsive I am aware information is a bit limited for mobile users. As this is effectively only a holding page, I'll try and come up with a better solution by the time the full site comes around.

And - on the subject of Chris Casement and Aidan Collins, being an Ipswich fan I can verify @ChasHarps comments!

• it's a shame he didn't kick on, he looked pretty good

I remember we had Richard Keogh on loan and I don't recall him standing out at all, and yet he's gone on to have a very successful career

• @Paul_B Maybe you're right, but I seem to remember that several matches were picked that day and were available as "alternate" games on the BBC, legally viewable in the UK. My mind could be playing tricks.

• Aidan Collins had to retire due to injury I recall. Chris Casement is still playing for Portadown in the NI Premiership.

• I have now added in the missing matches and have every reason to believe that the list is now complete. I'm only after matches that were legally broadcast in the UK, or in other words, were available to people on their own TV sets. For that reason, I'm unsure as to whether I should include the x2 matches shown on Sportscast. I wasn't previously aware of Sportscast's existence, but for the moment, they are listed - http://www.wycombe.myclubontv.co.uk

FYI, the missing matches were:

1) Monday, 23rd February 2009 – Wycombe 0 Rotherham 0 – League Two (Sky) [as mentioned by stevedore]
    2) Sunday, 9th September 2007 – Wycombe 1 Brentford 0 – League Two (Sky)
    3) Friday, 3rd September 2004 – Wycombe 1 Oxford United 1 – League Two (Sky)
    4) Friday, 5th December 2003 – Wycombe 1 Mansfield 1 – FA Cup (Sky)
    5) Monday 29th April 1991 - Wycombe 1 Barnet 3 - Conference (Sportscast)

Once again, if you know of any others - let me know, but it looks like this might be it.

I'll share some stats later. I think it works out at pretty much an even split in terms of games won, lost and drawn live on TV.

• Im sure the Oxford game on the TV was Friday 8 Sept 2000, with us winning 3-1 with a Steve Brown retaken pen. We had signed Andy Rammell during the week.

• edited January 2016

@ChasHarps That one is already on the list. I added it after @Malone and yourself first mentioned it. It's just that there was another televised game against Oxford 4 years later which also happened to be on a Friday night.

• @EwanHoosaami , yes you're right Sir, I'm mixing my games up!
    @wycombelad , and yes you're right too, although it looks like it might have been a 6.15 from the chairboys on the net (great resource!) archives. As if that isn't a mad enough slot, I'd remembered it as even worse!

• @Paul_B , I think you're in a good place there.

Just for a little anecdote, and I'm not sure how this was actually watchable on a stream, but I had the (mis)fortune of finding our cup game away at Fleetwood live! Not sure where that would have been live, but it was!

I remember someone getting sent off for Fleetwood just before half time, with them already winning? But us still being played off the park and finally losing 2-0

• Yep I watched that Fleetwood game online too, 12th Nov 2011.

Think it was the same deal as the Barnet game last year, in that it was broadcast overseas so there were live streams available on the web.

Jamie Vardy v Dave Winfield doesn't sound like much of a contest now, and it certainly wasn't back then either.

• I think I've found another one folks - at home to Birmingham in the League Cup? (08/09 season)

• yes, you are right

we got hammered if I remember correctly

• Yes definitely - watched that in the Sports Cafe in Haymarket. Terrible evening.

• Now these are somewhat more speculative but is there any chance that any of the following could also have been shown live?

1992/93

• Runcorn - FA Trophy Final

1993/94

• Preston - Div 3 Play-off Final

2005/06

• Boston (A) D 1-1

2008/09

• Rotherham (A) D 0-0

I haven't managed to find out the day/KO times for the Boston and Rotherham games but if they were Saturday 3pms, then they must have been shown abroad and streamed online or something (if they were broadcast at all)

I've also come across a couple of pre-season friendlies v Chelsea but presumably they would have been on Chelsea TV, and no doubt streamed online somewhere. (I'm not actually interested in non-competitive matches but thought I'd mention it anyway)

• the FA Trophy and play off finals were definitely not televised. Don't remember the others either but I could be wrong

• I found all of those aforementioned matches on a website that has DVDs of full 90-minute matches available for sale, which suggests that they may have been shown live somewhere even if it wasn't in the UK. I found the Fleetwood match that @Malone mentioned listed there as well - so I would assume that the Boston and Rotherham games are a similar case scenario to that one in terms of its availability online at the time.

As for the finals, if they weren't on Sky (which I think it's safe to say they weren't) then I really don't know. There weren't any official full-length VHS tapes of those finals released for sale or anything like that was there?

It's odd to think of games being played at Wembley and not being televised isn't it but this is nevertheless the way it used to be.

• There were VHS videos, but no live TV.

• I think the club shop used to sell videos of pretty much every game we played didn't they?

• It certainly did for a few seasons. Big novelty then. I've got a copy of the 6-1 win over Telford!

• Weirdly, given that I don't remember games we played a week ago these days, I remember Gary Smith having an absolute blinder in that match

• edited January 2016

@NewburyWanderer that probably accounts for where the guy selling DVDs got his material from then. The finals would have been transferred over from VHS to disc. Probably wasn't shown live anywhere.

I've since found out the Boston and Rotherham games I mentioned were indeed 3pm KOs on Saturday's, which rules them out of being shown in the UK. I'll see if I can find out from him where the recordings came from out of pure interest.

EDIT: Turns out the Rotherham game was actually the home game which we've already accounted for. I got the home/away games confused because they both ended 0-0!

I'd forget about what I said about Boston (A) as well because it looks like the DVD bloke has pretty much all of their home games from that season available for whatever reason. I will enquire as to how that came about but I would doubt that they were all publically available.