Skip to content

Wycombe Wanderers live on TV over the years

Comments

• That's it. Thanks very much

Did anyone here watch it?

• If I remember correctly it was just a service for pubs/clubs, I don't think you could get it at home. I remember watching Kidderminster V Colchester during our title run, in the Vere Suite at Adams Park. I think it was an entertaining draw and I was sat behind Martin O'Neill who was cheering Kiddy on and celebrating their goals with the rest of the Wycombe fans.

• Thanks for all the replies so far folks. Great stuff, just what I was after.

I'll look into all of these and come back and share an updated list when I'm done. Will take some time though.

In the meantime, please do continue to post up any more TV games that you think of.

• 26/11/95 - Carlisle (a) was live on ITV.

• @Wycombe85 - must have sat next to you if I've got the right match. Martin came in late and sat with John Goldsworthy in front row. Great days and, guess what- I think they could be back again.

• @Ned_Ludd That was the Sunday afternoon game if memory serves me right.

• I think so. An early afternoon kick-off, I believe.

• edited January 2016

@bigred87 Is this the Luton game you are referring to? http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/1113413.stm

• @Paul_B @bigred87 Yes that game was live on Sky.

• @Kimble_Blue Yep, appears so. Thanks. Reason I ask is because bigred87 mentioned that Sam Parkin scored, but it doesn't look like he did in this one. So, either this is the one he meant or there's another game v Luton that was on TV.

• Oxford at home in the league on a Friday night about 2000, Brownie scores from a retaken penalty, A group of us Wanderers fans watched it from a bar in Benidorm.

• Yes that's the game, wrong scorer my mistake

• Wycombe away at Southend, I want to say 2007/8 season but might be the year before, excellent game, think Matt McClure missed a sitter and then had another chance a couple of minutes later and scored it. Great game, watched it from the Netherlands.

• That was Gillingham Ozzie wasn't it?

• One of their fans (wearing a pink hoodie I think) jumped on Jordan Archer.

• May well be, it's a few years ago and memory is vague.

• Pretty sure it was Gillingham.

• Definitely Gillingham. Watched it in the bar at Solihull Moors

• What was the game Lionel Richie sang at? Was that the Oxford game on a Friday night? I'm sure that was on sky

• edited January 2016

Can anyone shed any light on the Sportscast channel that showed the Kidderminster game in 1992? Other than those who have already mentioned it, who on here watched it (on TV) or was even aware that it was on?

Was it something that was just available in pubs and clubs? And was it just in this country or abroad?

It seems as though a home game v Barnet in 1991 may also have been shown on Sportscast as well.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    Pretty sure it was Gillingham.

It was indeed. February 2013

• Speaking of Gillingham, @MindlessDrugHoover mentioned that the 1995 FA Cup tie at home against the Gills was live on Sky - which is definitely correct, but I don't think the replay was as well - was it?

• Gills replay wasn't televised.
    One related TV fact (I think!)....Wycombe v Leicester was the last FAC quarter final NOT to be televised. (The other three that year were all shown too).

• Pretty certain Arsenal - Blackburn was the same day as ours, with a 3pm kick off and that wasn't televised

• @eric_plant Yes, I think you're right....that would also share the distinction of being the last quarter final not to be shown live then.

• The filbert street game may not have been live in the UK, but it was overseas, I watched the game sipping cocktails on a terrace over the Atlantic, possibly the first time in human history that a man in Barbados desperately wished he was in Leicester!

• edited January 2016

@bill_stickers I think the Barnet cup game last season had goals and highlights available from the game on the red button as the game progressed, rather than actually technically being a live broadcast. Having only happened a year ago, this should be within people's memory ranges to tell me otherwise!

@Ned_Ludd Yes, you're right. It was seemingly only broadcast in the ITV Border region for the benefit of Carlisle supporters. As far as I can tell it wasn't shown on any of the other ITV regional channels unless anyone can tell me different.

@WelwynWanderer Think it was at home to Notts County in 2000. Don't think it was live on TV although it did have a TV theme in terms of why Lionel Richie was there. It was for BBC Watchdog (or so Google tells me)

• OK folks, here's what I've come up with - http://wycombe.myclubontv.co.uk

I don't think I've missed out anything that's been mentioned here and been found to be correct. Please let me know if there's anything wrong or missing.

Thanks for all your input up until now.

My only query at this stage is was the original FA Cup tie v West Brom in 1992 definitely live on TV or was it just the replay? I've managed to find evidence of the game at the Hawthorns being on Sky but not the home match. Cheers.

• @Paul_B The home game against West Brom was also live on Sky as was the replay at the Hawthorns. Hope this helps.

• Yes, thank you. Someone else has since confirmed that for me as well.

I've also been notified of some other games not yet on the list - I'll add those tomorrow. Thanks folks.