Skip to content

Match day thread: Morecambe

Comments

• Personally I'd like to see 3 centre midfielders with one playing in the number 10 role just behind, maybe Odumanga or Paul Hayes to slide wingers making inside runs or the striker.

• still think what we are missing is a playmaker who wants the ball

• Having been to the last two games and seen the 40 minutes or so that he has played I can say that we are not missing that playmaker who wants the ball - his name is Jermaine Udumaga and in my opinion really deserves to be starting games very soon.

• I'm with you in that Udumaga surely must be considered for a starting spot. Potential to be the Sam Saunders of last season?

• @baxter said:
    still think what we are missing is a playmaker who wants the ball

Yep, a Saunders showing for the ball would transform the team

• Speaking of Sam Saunders, he's got six months left on his contract, would like an extension but so far Brentford haven't made any moves. And he's lost his place in the team. Doesn't sound like he'd be keen for another loan while he's playing for his future - but you could certainly imagine him coming our way this summer if no contract extension is forthcoming...

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/brentford-winger-uncertain-what-future-10664429

• I would love, love, love to have him here, but surely he could do better.

• I doubt we would afford his wage demands. Could see him going to somewhere like Milwall or maybe Orient who have deeper pockets?

• maybe you shall get your wish .....

• Having now had time to reflect on yesterday here are some thoughts.

Matty still not dominating his box, communication between him and Stewart in particular continues to be shaky. Come and claim balls put I tot the box rather than stand back and let them go through the six yard area.

I like Macca at right back and JJ left back, gives us the ability to play the ball out.

AP/AS playing far far too much hoof ball. Both are talented young footballers, so would be good to see some more composure on the ball.

Midfield - this is where we are suffering, Luke has the energy and enthusiasm but I fear he will get a straight red soon. Harriman is great on the wing, just hope we can extend his loan period. Blooms put in a shift but was largely ineffective and Wood had probably the worst game ever in my he light dark blue quarters, I didn't see him make one challenge and felt as though he was saving himself for next week and the villa game.

Upfront we lack the brain of Hayes we are a different team when he plays, with PH I do not see. Captain on the pitch. Jermaine looks good and imo deserves a start.

I can win and lose with the team but the difference in performances and lack of consistency is worrying and frustrating. Seeing how we played v Millwall and Oxford and then compare this to the Crawley and Morcombe games. Difficult to take when I know and have seen us play better.

If we play like we did v Oxford it'll be a good game next week, if we play like we did yesterday then we could be on course for a thumping.

• Just watched the YouTube highlights and two things struck me. Peter Murphy was very lucky not to be sent off and I still can't see Ingram denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity for the penalty with Stewart on the line and the ball running away from goal.

• the only thing the card will be wiped out for is it he touched the ball and I think its unlikely as Ive watched it numerous times and can't see it.

• @Ozzie_the_Relaxed

If we play like we did v Oxford it'll be a good game next week, if we play like we did yesterday then we could be on course for a thumping.

Premiership teams - even those that are struggling - are rarely "in your face" like most League 2 teams; they give you more time and space. For that reason (and provided the pitch is a bit drier) I am sure we will give them a good run for their money.

I like McCarthy in the centre and Sido at right back.

• Let's get things in perspective. Yes we were shit but the conditions were terrible that made the game a farce,we will not win every game this season as no team has ever done that and we are 6th so it's hardly a piss poor season. Some on here seem to think we should doing better after reaching Wembley last season but i don't understand why. League 2 looks more open than it's been for several years and a play off spot would be a real achievement for a team with our resources.

• Don't get me wrong I'm not saying we're having a bad season, far from it as we are only a couple of wins difference from this time last year and that with a smaller and I would say a weaker squad. It's just frustrating when there is a lack of effort and composure as we saw yesterday.

On the plus side we could be where Luton or Notts County are and also C*lu are one point off the bottom in league 1, happy days.

Onwards and upwards for the rest of the season (after smashing villa in the cup of course!)

COYB

• Can't believe someone was saying Bean wouldn't get away with Bloomfield's performances. For starters I don't think Bloomy has been particularly bad at all, more the same he's been for 11 years - hard working, nothing special but full commitment.

Bloomy has been the whipping boy for Wycombe (if you read the facebook group) since Bean stopped being it, and probably only stopped when Wood started becoming it!

Who coined the phrase Wycombe fans are vermin? Oily sailor I think,

• game was a farce @robin I don't think so .. the pitch was totally playable intact almost perfect.

• @robin said:
    Let's get things in perspective. Yes we were shit but the conditions were terrible that made the game a farce,we will not win every game this season as no team has ever done that and we are 6th so it's hardly a piss poor season. Some on here seem to think we should doing better after reaching Wembley last season but i don't understand why. League 2 looks more open than it's been for several years and a play off spot would be a real achievement for a team with our resources.

At last someone is talking sense

• Another stupid remark! The pitch was not "...almost perfect..."; it was soaking wet, making it difficult to maintain balance, turn, judge the pace of a pass, bounce, etc. Yes, we were poor: but Morecambe were, frankly, little better. Closed us down, stopped us playing and forced mistakes - from which they scored. Fair enough.
    I suspect that RM999 might have watched the game from inside the club shop.

• From the highlights it looks like a penalty and a sending off to me. But I don't think Ingram could have done anything about the goal.

• A poster who can't; quite work out if he wants to be a pure wind up man, or a legit poster. Seems to hang about in no man's land.

That was bad conditions, you only had to watch Stewart trotting through splashing puddles when playing it.
    Our defenders don't often take more than 2 touches at the best of times but it was clear the centre backs, perhaps with Mawson v Bury away last year in mind, had been told "No risks", and "knock it".

Still don't know what Stewart was doing for goal 1.

• the ball was bouncing really high as it would on a dry pitch, the pitch was fine. we turned up and expected to win and didn't try.

• Saying that Matt Bloomfield has been pretty ineffective for some time now is not making him (to quote @Malone) a 'whipping boy' - that's just a Dave Peters, BFP style cliche. I've been perfectly happy with Matt for years but I think his time is just about up. He no longer exerts enough influence on the game

I personally can't believe that someone on here the other week was talking of a 2 year extension for him.

My original point is that I often hear people moaning loudly at Marcus Bean for any misplaced pass whereas Bloomfield receives shouts of encouragement no matter how poorly he's playing. The latter is a good thing (no-one benefits from being groaned at by supporters) but it makes me wonder why Bean doesn't receive the same encouragement. By any standard, he is a far more effective player in the middle of the park and I'm looking forward to his return.

• @arnos_grove Bloomfield is a club stalwart and Bean is a relative newcomer with much higher league experience. Some supporters expect more from Bean because of his past and have a body of work to fall back on for Bloomfield to excuse errors.

• Not to mention Beano is probably on double what Bloomy is.

Bloomy will definitely get an extension, especially if we stay League 2.

You might be able to get a better player for the wage, but they won't have even 10%of the heart Bloomy puts in. And that's worth a lot at this level.

He's not even 32 until Feb. Has plenty left.

• We need a creative midfielder, luke and bean are good at the dirty work but there's no creativity. Yesterday was a disgrace Iv seen better football down the rye truly shocking

• I wonder if his dip in form coincided with the switch from being called Blooms or Bloomers to Bloomy.

• Blooming disgraceful.

• How about Bloomfieldo, or Fields?

• @bigred87 said:
    We need a creative midfielder, luke and bean are good at the dirty work but there's no creativity.

Udumaga was available, saw him once and thought happy days that's what we need after a few passes, get him on from the start and see how he progress.