Skip to content

Match day thread: Morecambe

Comments

• We were appalling. Never considered the conditions in relation to our strengths. Never thought about how a greasy pitch and ball would impact a keeper if you shot. Never seemed to get going.

I like Max. A really thoughtful and technical player. So choosing him on this pitch was bizarre. A blunt instrument such as Ozzie would have been more effective if that is the tactic which clearly it became as the game went on.

Finally if Ingram is banned I think Pierre owes him an apology. Shocker.

• It was interesting how some around me today seemed to forget the horrible conditions today. After three wins it looked like many of the players were a bit leggy and the wind and rain made passing and even controlling the ball tough at times. It was a defeat that could easily have happened in our last two home games but then we managed a goal.
    The first Morcambe goal was a great example of Matt Ingram's big weakness. Surely he shouldn't be watching a ball travel twice across our six yard box.
    The sending off was really harsh. I couldn't tell from watching live where or if contact occurred but Wycombe defenders were involved so how Ingram can be the last man is beyond me.

• the rule isn't last man, its a goalscoring opportunity which it was, is he touched the ball then it will be recinded.

• There was some booing at the end thought that was out of order considering we have won four games in a row we played poorly but why boo .

• @richmayes999 Obvious goal scoring opportunity and the law contains criteria including the proximity of other players. As the ball was travelling away from the goal and defenders were very close at the time of the challenge I can't see how the ref gave a red card.

I've got every confidence in Alex Lynch by the way. Proved himself in big games. Just hoping he wasn't cup tied during his loan spells earlier this season.

• Matt red looked harsh but we looked poor today as mentioned before maybe the villa game has had some effect.

• From the press box it looked a nailed on penalty as Luke O'Nien pushed Wildig from just inside the box and his momentum took him into Ingram. From the replay I've seen, Matt gets a touch, a small one but a touch all the same. The foul was O'Niens.

Best wishes to Murph too on what looks like another a serious injury.

• @bluntphil said:
    From the press box it looked a nailed on penalty as Luke O'Nien pushed Wildig from just inside the box and his momentum took him into Ingram. From the replay I've seen, Matt gets a touch, a small one but a touch all the same. The foul was O'Niens.

Best wishes to Murph too on what looks like another a serious injury.

if the offence was from luke why was there a red ?

• @OX66 said:
    There was some booing at the end thought that was out of order considering we have won four games in a row we played poorly but why boo .

Maybe that was aimed at the ref.

• @Aylesburyblue I presume the ref didn't see the push from Luke.

• I can't stop thinking about how angry people would be if Marcus Bean had put in a performance as ineffectual as Matt Bloomfield did today.

For me, Bloomfield's not been at the races for a long time now, but he still garners supportive cries of 'keep going Blooms'. Nothing wrong with that of course, but Bean would be getting slaughtered by the same people if he played anywhere near as bad.

• Blooms last good game was at Millwall.

• Utter tosh. Bloomfield breaks up play well and is half decent moving the ball around.

That said, I do think Bean was among our best performers prior to his injury and I take the point about him getting unfair stick.

• @Glenactico you see a totally different Bloomfield to me and those around me? For me Bloomfield gives possession away more than any other WWFC player. Agree he does an ok job at breaking play up but not enough of a player to justify a place in starting eleven. Personally I would like to see Rowe given a chance in that role if Bean is still out?

• @EwanHoosaami - absolutely re Danny Rowe.

• I would say that Hayes gives possession away more than Blooms, however his overall influence on the team more than makes up for this weakness. As for Rowe coming in for Bloomfield in defensive mid (pending Beano's return) - I would agree - give the lad a chance.

• edited January 2016

The only central midfielder we have who doesn't give possession away more times than not is Luke O'Nien. Marcus Bean, excellent though he has been this season at harrying and breaking up play, is very poor at distribution. I'm sure that's why Ainsworth talked about making Danny Rowe into a holding midfielder in pre-season and I'm absolutely flummoxed he hasn't been tried in this role yet.

I guess the Villa match won't be one for experimentation but we really do need to try something new. Crawley could've done to us what Morecambe did today if they had a little more quality. Long ball simply doesn't work with our personnel. I'd like to see the ball played on the deck for a full 90 mins; McCarthy back in central defence for Stewart; Rowe and O'Nien in the centre, Holloway and Thomson up front. I still think we have an issue with Sam Wood which needs addressing through the loan window - or maybe Jermaine Udumaga could play there. Then hopefully we can avoid any more dismal, depressing displays like today's.

• @aloysius - very much agree, especially re McCarthy in centre where he seemed to be developing a good understanding with Pierre. Jombati back to RB.

• As retrospective punishment is being used in the football league this year, does that mean that even if Matt's red is rescind that Luke could then still be punished if he was responsible for the foul. So in essence transferring the red, or is retrospective punishment only for Violent conduct ?

• http://www.skysports.com/football/wycombe-vs-morecambe/340933

Watching the penalty incident at full speed it is hard to tell if Ingram gets a touch on the ball.

The forward undoubtedly manufactures a situation to create the appearance of a foul, pushing the ball away to the side and rolling over the top of Ingram as if his legs had been taken away.

• @aloysius a little knee jerk to suggest we must try something new? We have 40 pts after 24 games sit happily in the top seven. Today was poor indeed and we do blow hot and cold at times. But the truth is we're getting it right a lot more often than many other teams in the division. Certainly some things to be improved upon but I don't think we need dramatic changes.

• We need a midfield playmaker, we haven't got that player and Bloomfield certainly isn't that man. O'Nein is very mobile and gets his tackles in but he needs that ball playing man in the middle to make his hard work worthwhile.

Also, Stewart is not consistent and prone to mistakes and going to ground easily. We may be in the top seven but let us not kid ourselves that this side is good. Without Hayes we had no craft up front.

At least Ainsworth made subs before his usual 73 minute gone slot but with the sending off it really was not effective.
    Horrible game in horrible weather which was the same for both sides.

• edited January 2016

@Glenactico which games this season have you come away from thinking Wycombe truly dominated and had an easy win? The only one I can think of was Millwall, interestingly enough, when we played the ball on the deck. The problem is, as Morecambe demonstrated admirably, opposition managers have worked out how we win matches and how they can counter it with a high-pressing, counter-attacking game of their own. Unless their players are particularly weak - York, Barnet, Crawley spring to mind - there's a strong chance they'll beat us at our own game.

Our problem is that Ainsworth recruited players to play a fast-passing, high-energy game but, for whatever reason (losing Mawson, injury to Hayes, loss of form for Wood, lack of confidence in Rowe etc) he's chosen to play cautious long-ball. He's not getting the best out of the players, opponents know how to counter it and it's depressing to watch. That's why I think we should change it up and play to the squad's strengths. Millwall shows they can do it (and that was in blustery conditions). If we don't there will be plenty more matches like Bristol Rovers and Morecambe to come.

• No change, when players have in a region of 70 odd minutes, lion's share of the game and are non existent through most of it, we say little or next to nothing, but the guys who come on to replace them, well we have a chapter and verse.

Team selection was wrong for that type of match and conditions. Nothing was apparently sticking and we where unable to hold the ball to larger extent or pass it.

• Hear hear!

• @aloysius you seem to be forming conclusions that stand up viewed against our bad performances but not against all our recent matches. Simply saying the teams we've beaten are 'particularly weak' is disrespectful to us and all those teams.
    Of course our team has weaknesses and problems but on our day we're a match for any side in this league and plenty in leagues above. Yesterday was a horrible day weather wise and the team struggled after three hard fought wins to go again. That will happen won't it?
    Not sure I follow your fast passing recruitment policy. How many midfielders have we bought in capable of that? I think Ainsworths philosophy of not getting too low at a loss like yesterday is a good one.

• Two further points I'd make. When we were playing poorly in October a lot of us were moaning on here about the formation and begging for a return to 442. That then happened at the beginning of Nov and our form picked up again. Sometimes it pays to listen to the wisdom of the crowds (just ask LVG!)

Secondly, it's interesting to read in the Vital opposition round-ups how often our opponents say they switched things up and played more cynically to counter our style of play / gamesmanship. A lot of opposition fans revel in playing ugly for a match to show us they can do it too. As well they might - they only have go watch their team play that way for one or two matches a season. We have to put up with long ball football from Wycombe and cynical, ugly football from our opponents almost every match. While that has its charms it can get wearisome, especially when we're not even winning when playing ugly.

• @Right_in_the_Middle I'd say all midfielders we recruited over the summer are capable of playing good football with accurate passing. O'Nien and Harriman do so most weeks; McGinn is supposed to be a cultured passer; Banton absolutely should be (but doesn't play the Wycombe way, apparently); Rowe hasn't been tried in midfield yet but certainly looked capable of playing the ball in the last two seasons.

• I've never seen Banton to play an incisive pass, and playing a central defender like Rowe in midfield wouldn't suggest a commitment to flowing football. I think you're stretching your argument a little thin.

• I'd play Rowe in midfield. From what I've seen of him playing there before he'd improve us. I'd also move McCarthy to the middle and restore Jombati to right back.

That all said, one of the most impressive aspects of Wycombe under Ainsworth these last couple of years has been the way we've responded to defeats.

Yesterday was without doubt one of the worst displays I've seen over the best part of 30 years supporting Wycombe but this manager and these players still have plenty of credit in the bank