Skip to content

Match day thread: Morecambe

Comments

• I take it with all this rain it's still going ahead.

• From memory, I can't recall a match called off at AP through a waterlogged pitch? Pretty certain that the rain that we've had will be easily absorbed by our sponge odd a stadium.

• 2011/12 saw the postponements of the Bradford and Northampton games due to a waterlogged pitch. Before then it was a rarity, the only one that I can think of off the top of my head was the Rochdale game in 93/94.

• edited January 2016

I think that at the point of the notorious lightning strike against bristol rovers the pitch had become just about unplayable due to the amount of water on it. I'm pretty sure the game would have been abandoned even without the intervention of Thor, Zeus and the other thunderbolt wielding deities.

• Do we go by GA policy - "always to reward players who have performed well with a run in the team" or rotation ? which I believe was to combat the Xmas game schedule. So guess a combo with Thomo and Kretch upfront in a 4/4/2, Sido and McGinn on the bench ? with Blooms in the starting line up.

• Im guessing that it will be krèch and thomo . Keeping Holloway for villa game as he would be more suited for that game. Coyb

• edited January 2016

Wycombe Wanderers FC ‏@wwfcofficial 2m minutes ago
    Line up: Ingram, McCarthy, Jacobson, Stewart, Pierre, Harriman, Wood, Bloomfield, O'Nien, Kretzschmar, Thompson #WYCvMOR

Spot on with team selection.

• This is awful.

• @drcongo said:
    This is awful.

And now it's even worse. I would not want to be picking MOTM here. I don't think I've seen anything this bad in a long time.

• Ingram out of villa game....MASSIVE loss for us.

• Awful awful performance. We play like that we will be closed to the bottom than the top. Concerning how much we rely on Hayes.

• Gutted for Ingram, missing Wembley and now this.

• What a awful game lets hope we pull our socks up for sat.

• Terrible. Can't think of one player who put on a half decent show. In conditions like that you need someone who is capable of putting their foot on the ball, unfortunately we have not got ha type of player.

• That type of player

Pretty much sums it up. Only stat missing is the thousand odd throwins each side had.

• Really bad day at the office. However, Morecombe were also poor and both teams struggled badly with the conditions.

We let ourselves down an uncharacteristic lapse in concentration from a throw in. That gave their player ample time to pick out Ellison at the far post. Once they got a goal ahead it was always going to be hard to get into the game.

• That's 2 hours of my life I am not going to get back. Truly poor performance. agree with Blue since 1990 no one had a good game. I hope Villa were watching that, if so they will send their U21s. I dont think we can appeal Ingrams Red card to allow him to play. To be fair it looked a good decision from where I was stood, albeit as far away as you can get. I hope someone posts something later to help me find my optimism for next Saturday.

• The pen looked like a dive to me. If so we will have to appeal. Ingram wasn't ready to walk. Plus they should have been down to 10 men on 12 mins after that awful challenge by Murphy- i know he went off injured but that's no excuse it was a yellow minimum and probably a straight red. The ref totally bottled it. Not a great advert for league 2 footie...

• Not that the red card decision lost us the game (we were unspeakably appalling), my instant impression was that there were covering defenders so Ingram wasn't the last man. On that basis we could appeal the red card, though if the cameras show Ingram played the ball before the man, that'd be another string to our bow when taking this to the FA/FL.

Back to the game, we completely failed to get to grips with the conditions and offered absolutely no threat going forward. Hopefully whatever it was that gripped our players and paralysed them today will go away with the rain.
    If Villa had sent a scout do get the lowdown on us, I think they might go back and tell Remi Garde that they might be able to hold on for the replay!

• Worst match for as long as I can remember . Too many players did not show up today

• Did anyone get player of the match ? never heard anything..Certainly would be a tough decision on that performance.

• Worst match since Bristol Rovers last month anyway

• Think it was awarded to Joe Kuffour, and deservedly so.

• Anyone else think that every player out there (asides from O'Nien) had their eyes purely fixed on next week's game? Everyone seemed afraid of a challenge, tackle or going for a header possibly in fear of getting injured. Sadly Wood and Holloway come very much to mind. I hope I am wrong and that it was indeed just a bad day at the office.

• @MindlessDrugHoover that gave me a chuckle.

• For me, either nobody turned up or dare I say it, the management team got so terribly wrong today. We clearly were not playing the ball on the floor, so why play two up front, one being Kretch? If your going to play hoof ball, bypassing the midfield, why not play three up front? Playing two, there was nothing to feed off, no pressure on their back line. When our back line carried the ball up field, all our midfielders ran away, nobody offered a short pass option. Also, far too often Bloomfield was where any move finally broke down. For me he should have been the first one to get the shepherds hook and been replaced with another forward, assuming we wanted to continue with the direct approach. Udamago looked useful again when he 1st came on, Gozi Ugwu at least brought some much needed energy up front if not the quality we so badly missed, which at least brought about some pressure.
    Still, on the positive side, we would all have grabbed 9 points out of 12 for the festive games, so let's hope people it's a blip, that we can recover from. Happy New Year one and all.

• I agree the players had their minds on the villa game , think the sending off was harsh the red didn't consider the conditions on the pitch . Terrible game I don't get to many and that was a bad one to choose I thought we may lose before the game.

• From where I was sat, looked like the player was already on his way down before Ingram got anywhere near him, and I'm not sure Ingram touched ball or man. There was a possibility of a push from whoever was chasing, possibly a dive.