Skip to content

What has happened to the traditions of the FA Cup

Comments

• Money talks

• Why should a football club pay for the travel costs of people who want to go to watch a football match?

• they don't "have" to

Sometimes they do as a goodwill gesture

I'm not convinced that even if the coaches were free we'd fill more than one to be honest

• Reasonably cash rich clubs occasiponally do.

For a club that is very short of cash and having to beg more from some supporters, it would seem a very odd choice of priorities to then give it back to another lot of supporters to pay for their day out.

• 'Why should a football club pay for the travel costs of people who want to go to watch a football match?'

What an insight in to the mind of someone totally devoid of any passion about the game. There is no reason why a club should pay for travel costs but some do on occasion so why do they do it? A thank you? An attempt to improve the support to the team on the day? Because it is simply a good thing to do?

Bottom line is football is still, on occassions a game and sometimes human interest trumps finances. I hope this type of gesture continue. We have no right to expect them but they are nice when they happen. (Apart from the smelly damp scarves the other year maybe)

• Do you think that would be a good use of resources given our parlous financial state? If you were in change would you recommend that? It would be nice if they handed out a free £50 note as well. Are you advocating that?

• which brings us neatly back to the original point. You see everything in terms of finance and understand nothing of the subtle, intangible things that go along with being a football fan

how much do you reckon it costs to run a couple of coaches to Halifax and back? Let me give you a clue, it would be a lot less than the 12.5k they're getting for playing the match on a sunday

is anyone expecting them to do it? probably not
    will anyone turn against them if they don't? definitely not
    would it be a nice surprise if they did? yeah, it would give everyone a warm squidgy feeling inside

you manage to suck the joy out of most conversations you are a part of on here and people are bored of it

• Coaches are already running . they cost about £20 return (much cheaper than the train). Are you recommending to the club that the club give each supporter on the bus this £20. Why this week especially. Why not every week? Why not pay their admission fee too? And buy them a beer or two? And a curry?

• edited October 2015

Sorry everyone - I'm not clear (from what Dev posted earlier) - is the twelve and a half thousand quid payable to BOTH clubs or only the home club?

Anyway - Dev is correct. The club has more important things to attend to with its money, as things stand, than subsidising anyone's travel. Sorry if you don't like it.

• Why this week - because the match has been moved to a Sunday when it isn't possible to get back by public transport. Pubs and curry houses are still open to my knowledge. It's not difficult even for you.

• You can get there by coaches already laid on and bookable. They cost about £20, far less than the train would have cost. You are simply requesting "free money". There is no such thing.

• I haven't requested anything. I said it would be a positive move as it will help more people go to a Wycombe match than would otherwise have been able to. If all you think about is money the relatively small cost may be a good investment if it encourages more people to attend in the future.

• how many fans do you reckon will travel by coach then Dev?

Because it's essentially that x £20 that the club would gain rather than running one for free

let's say (somewhat optimistically) 50

So that's a grand

and they're getting 12.5 grand for playing on a sunday

None of which is a reason for doing it by the way but you make it out as though the gesture would send us into bankruptcy

• Final post on this as it is getting silly. It would be a positive move for those who were given free money. It would be a negative move for those who gave it.

Are you seriously suggesting that there are people out there who currently dont go to home games who would choose to travel all the way to Halifax from HW to watch a game there because the coach was free? Dont ever become an advertising/marketing professional! Or go on The Apprentice.

• eh? What's that bit about not going to home games?

and only you could describe a gesture like that as a negative move. Was it a negative move when the club paid for coaches to Lincoln in 1999?

• were the coaches to Filbert St free as well? I can't remember

• LX1LX1
    edited October 2015

Haha the day I take advice from you is the day I give up! Yes, I definitely think if something is free, some people will take it. I reckon if I was going by coach and I said to my mate it was free travel there is a very good chance. Don't try and take any economics exams without any intensive lessons first!

• A game where our survival as a League club was in jeopardy is slightly different to a cup game at Halifax where we probably won't even put out our best eleven.

• @LX1
    Nope. I live in the midlands so would not benefit. I was thinking of my fellow Wycombe supporters who are unable to attend. Not surprisingly it has not crossed your mind that someone might suggest something that would help other supporters, as you have consistently proved to be completely out of touch with football culture over the years and have little comprehension of what a football club is for.

POTD for me.
    Unfortunately there are too many people with such a blinkered worldview that they assume others must think that way as well.

• @ DevC - Regarding your copying in of the Altrincham press release, of course you can sympathise with their position, though Barnsley are well within their rights to insist on playing the game at the usual 3pm. Rather like the debate on zero-hours contracts, those in favour will always roll out favourable examples whilst the reality is that is screws over inordinately more people than it genuinely benefits.

• not sure where all this talk of not being able to get there and back on the train has come from.

It is more than possible although I'm afraid there will be no money saving tips from me this time as it's pretty damn expensive.

• @LX1 said:
    It would be a positive move by the Club to provide free or discounted coach travel following the kick-off change to Sunday, preventing those travelling from High Wycombe by public transport from attending.

So just how are Wycombe going to afford that - or do you think they should just spend money on you when you have a moan, even though they don't have the money in the first place. Pay for it yourself and stop moaning about the club and board who are doing a sterling job of keeping us afloat!

• Or go on the club coach at £23

• Was that a joke? If not I don't think you have been following. I don't expect the Club to spend any money on me not least because I am giving them money. Also I live in the midlands so will be making my own way to Halifax. I haven't been moaning about the Club or the board, I have suggested a poisitive step to help the many fans who will struggle to attend due to the match moving to Sunday. Wycombe could easily fund it out of a fraction of the extra money we will get from the FA.

Apart from that I completely agree with you. If I have reason to moan in the future I will do.

• Can one of the moaners on here please explain the argument here. As I read it, LX1 and other moaners are suggesting that the club pay for/subsidise travel costs because the match has been moved to Sunday and it's difficult to get there. I assume if the match had been on a Saturday everyone would have been happy to pay the public transport costs which I suggest would be more than the £23 charge for the supporters coaches.

Remember the Club is ours, so effectively these moaners are wanting fellow supporters and contributors to the share scheme to pay for their travel. Perhaps we should have collecting boxes outside the turnstiles at each match for this purpose!

• I think you've drastically misread the tone of this discussion

• Thank you for the comprehensive explanation Eric.

• no worries old chap

• I'm not convinced. As has been said, it's £23 to go on the coach so it's not like there aren't relatively cheap options for travel. Sure, it would be a nice gesture, but so would reducing ticket prices. Just because something is nice doesn't make it sensible.

Would providing free transport attract any extra fans to the game? I suspect very minimal - it might change their method of transport but I doubt it would draw more than say 10 extra Wycombe fans.

If we want to increase attendances and expand the fanbase these kind of things would be better targeted to bring in new fans to home games, rather than subsidise existing fans.

It would cost less than the £12,500(?) that we get from TV coverage, but that's a bit of a red herring. Where that money has come from is irrelevant, it could be better spent elsewhere.

• so being a nice thing to do is never in and of itself a good reason to do something?

what a sad way to think