Skip to content

What has happened to the traditions of the FA Cup

Come on guys this is a poor effort. An hour on now since our game (in North Yorkshire) was moved to Sunday and not a single rant in complaint. What has happened to the timeworn traditions of the FA Cup. Just a year ago pages of text were filled pointing out that it would now be impossible for loyal supporters to make it all the way to London on a Sunday, how supporters who had block booked first round Saturday off on holiday each year since 1947 and now wouldnt be able to get to the game. Mass boycotts of whoever it was that sponsors the cup were organised, supporters vowed to never go to another game, the club was slated for not scratching from the tournament in protest. The FA Cup traditions were maintained.

This year, when actually it probably would be quite difficult to get from HW to Halifax and back on a Sunday by train, nothing, nada, rien, nichts. Just like the absence prefinal of a "its a knockout" special between the rival fans, yet another FA Cup tradition casually tossed away. You should all be ashamed.

Comments

• Well actually, I'm quite pissed off as I was looking forward to going but have family commitments on the Sunday. The Saturday would have been fine.

I wasn't going to whinge about it, but since you ask....

• You really are on a wind up aren't you.

Different board, different people. Simple

• The biggest moaner - Eddie Monsoon isn't on this board moaning his tits off.

• The fact that it is now called "The Emirates FA Cup" tells you all you need to know about what has happened to the sacred traditions of our game. Sacrificed upon the altar of mammon.

• I was at work when I heard about this, though I now have the chance to vent my spleen on here. Utterly needless as the game isn't actually being broadcast live. The game moving to a Sunday will have an effect on what will probably be a select away following as it is.

• @DevC why would anyone have been bothered about going to London on a Sunday when our game was on a Saturday?

• More to the point, we were at home.

This is a poor post, even by Dev's standards

• We were away at Barnet

• Oh yes, good point.

• I was thinking of the Wimbledon game

• Sadly, I am probably not going to go up to this now. Would have been nice to visit a new ground with what looks like excellent terracing too, but an early Sunday drive to Yorkshire and then back doesn't appeal much. Will probably stick to playing Sunday league football badly instead. Shame.

• I'm in the reverse position as I'll be able to go now, when I wasn't able to before. So I'm pleased for purely selfish reasons, but I appreciate it's not ideal for everyone!

• The club say they will receive a fee for the game being televised, albeit edited highlights. Anyone with knowledge what this fee amounts to? Just curious.

• Choo choo army. See you in Halifax guys

• I have to say that arguing with this is futile im afraid, the games are moved on mass now across the full weekend. Personally I am a lot happier being moved to Saunday at 2pm than I would be if it was Friday night.

Games have been switched for years now. TV talks.

Incidentally we wont have to leave that early and will be back mid evening.....a lot better than when our league match against Huddersfield got switched to sunday evening for ITV a few years ago, we did not get back to Wycombe until 2am on a Monday morning!

• Protesting against TV times is never futile. It might not work straight away but recent months has seen a more concerted voice from the fans against the system. One day maybe.
    Interesting to read yesterday that FC United protested against their kick off time change as it was one of their fundamental goals on set up to bring 3pm Saturday kick offs. They were basically told they couldn't which strikes me as a very dangerous path.

• @Right_in_the_Middle i wholeheartedly agree however the rot set in when premier league arrived

• here's an interesting development.

FA CUP MATCH: CLUB STATEMENT
    "Altrincham FC were notified today by the FA at 1.45pm that our Emirates FA Cup game vs Barnsley had been chosen to be one of eight games moved to Sunday November 8th with a 2pm kick off for live single camera footage with an FA compensation fee of £12,500 payable to the club.
    By 3.30pm we were notified by the FA that Barnsley FC would not agree to this move and therefore the game would remain on Saturday 7th Novemember.

Representations were made to Barnsley FC by both our secretary, Derek Wilshaw, and myself but to no avail. They wished to stick to their Saturday /Tuesday game schedule and were averse to moving another fixture.

The FA have power to force clubs who are involved in a live game to play at a specified time and date. However, they are not happy to impose such sanctions when it involves a live single-camera game.

Therefore, unfortunately, we yet again lose out on an opportunity to parade our talents live in the FA Cup.

• So FCUM didn't want their game to be moved, but it's being forced on them.
    Altrincham did want their game to be moved, but it won't be.

Fair play to Barnsley for refusing to move to a Sunday kick off for the sake of one tv camera, i wonder if protesting the move even crossed the minds of the people who run our great club...

• I am not sure Altrincham will think its "fair play" losing out on a £12,500 windfall!

• Barnsley should give them the cash.

• why? A better argument would be that all tv money should be put into a pot and distributed amongst every team left in the competition equally

• I can see Altrincham's point incidentally, I'm sure 12.5 grand would come in very handy but I can also admire Barnsley's stance in keeping a 3pm saturday kick off.

I suppose this is the natural consequence of money becoming the be all and end all of professional sport. We've seen it for years in the premier league where clubs happily put out weakened sides in the cup competitions to give themselves a better chance of finishing 11th rather than 12th

We fans are not blameless in this either by the way. I cringe whenever an exciting young player breaks through and I hear fans talking immediately about how much money he'll make us one day. Or when Wycombe can't sell a replica shirt ahead of a Wembley final and the likes of DevC point out that it doesn't really matter because under the terms of the Kukri arrangement we won't have lost out financially

• A different argument, not a better one.

Because Altrincham would have got the TV cash if they hadn't been denied it by Barnsley.

• It would be a positive move by the Club to provide free or discounted coach travel following the kick-off change to Sunday, preventing those travelling from High Wycombe by public transport from attending.

• Err in quick response to Mr Plant, the comment re Kukri was in response to a poster who claimed that the club must have lost loadsamoney by not having merchandise available (they didnt). Logistically I suspect whoever the beneficiary I suspect it would have been almost impossible to organise additional merchandise to be made and shipped given the very short turnaround between semi and final.

No the cash-strapped club should not be using scarce cash to subsidise your day out IMHO.

The Alty case does seem very odd indeed and a little harsh on them, especially given the proximity between the two clubs.

• LX1LX1
    edited October 2015

By referring to the gasroom as 'your' are you admitting that you aren't a Wycombe Wanderers supporter? Or was 'your' referring to me?

• You if you were asking the club to pay for your travel to an event you wanted to go to.

• Nope. I live in the midlands so would not benefit. I was thinking of my fellow Wycombe supporters who are unable to attend. Not surprisingly it has not crossed your mind that someone might suggest something that would help other supporters, as you have consistently proved to be completely out of touch with football culture over the years and have little comprehension of what a football club is for.