Skip to content

Potential new owners

Comments

• Not gospel but I was reading one of The Secret Footballers books the other day...now retired he's been involved in agency work and looking at taking over a club...in it he baldly stated any minority/majority interest is always the forerunner to wanting full ownership. If we didn't already suspect that.

• Steve. I would hope that the board have had these talks and hopefully got the best deal for the club. I certainly don’t think people should be voting no, on the basis we get another offer. I recon the guys that say no would say no even if it were a billionaire sheikh offering the workd and a bag of pork scratchings

• I'd vote yes for a sale to any major crisp manufacturer.

• @TrueBlu said:
    I recon the guys that say no would say no even if it were a billionaire sheikh offering the workd and a bag of pork scratchings

A useful balance against those who would vote yes on hearing vague verbal assurances from a man who made his money hawking easy loans to people with iffy credit histories.

Let’s wait for the detail before we fall in love at first sight.

• @TrueBlu, I think people could vote no because they are not happy with the overall deal, but would vote yes if an aspect of the deal was changed.

What if the yes vote is just short of 75%? Is that really the end for that particular bid, or is there a chance to renegotiate if sticking points are known? The Americans have made it clear that we are the club they want to invest in above all others, they may be reluctant to walk away so easily.

• Trevor Stroud said on Thursday that the 14 Jan meeting will be held at The Hub in Easton Street, at the Methodist Centre. The main hall seats 450.
    https://www.thehubhighwycombe.org.uk/site/facilities-at-the-hub.html

Then there will be an informal meeting the following night at the club, where all supporters can chat to the Americans.

He said there will be a three week period of voting, by email or post, ending with the final meeting (date TBC) when votes can still be cast and the result will be announced on the night by the Electoral Reform Society. The ERS will oversee the voting process and will feed back to the club those who have not voted yet, so they can be nudged.

The club has engaged the services of McCormicks Solicitors as the legal aspects of the deal are finalised. They are apparently the leading sports lawyers in the UK, and act for the Premier League.

• The Hub being part of Union Baptist Church

• @TruBlu, thanks for correcting!

• Sorry for bumping this thread, though I haven't received any correspondence from the Trust yet to confirm the meeting on 14th Jan. As far as I can tell I haven't lost any of their emails in the spam filter (I've received other emails from the Trust in the meantime). Is it still TBC?

• @ReadingMarginalista said:
    Sorry for bumping this thread, though I haven't received any correspondence from the Trust yet to confirm the meeting on 14th Jan. As far as I can tell I haven't lost any of their emails in the spam filter (I've received other emails from the Trust in the meantime). Is it still TBC?

Also, they haven't confirmed with the venue, the booking yet as far as I am aware.

• Even Trust Board and members have a couple of days off at Xmas I suppose.

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    Even Trust Board and members have a couple of days off at Xmas I suppose.

Correct, should have had this out ages ago if they aren't delaying the vote though, anyone might think scrutiny before the vote wasn't being encouraged.

• @Steve_Peart said:
    Trevor Stroud said on Thursday that the 14 Jan meeting will be held at The Hub in Easton Street, at the Methodist Centre. The main hall seats 450.
    https://www.thehubhighwycombe.org.uk/site/facilities-at-the-hub.html

Then there will be an informal meeting the following night at the club, where all supporters can chat to the Americans.

He said there will be a three week period of voting, by email or post, ending with the final meeting (date TBC) when votes can still be cast and the result will be announced on the night by the Electoral Reform Society. The ERS will oversee the voting process and will feed back to the club those who have not voted yet, so they can be nudged.

The club has engaged the services of McCormicks Solicitors as the legal aspects of the deal are finalised. They are apparently the leading sports lawyers in the UK, and act for the Premier League.

Thought I remembered an email confirming date and venue but now realise it was this typically helpful post + link from @Steve_Peart. From memory there is plenty of parking close by.

• @ValleyWanderer Sorry if you thought my post was having a pop at anyone, I was genuinely interested as to whether I'd missed anything having missed the last few meetings and generally a bit out of the loop at the moment.

• @ReadingMarginalista, you raised a fair point. This was from @bluntphil's post after the AGM:

"I spoke with Trevor after the presentation and he informed me that details of the proposed bid will be available to Trust legacy members before Christmas, ahead of the presentation by Bill Luby and Jim Collis."

It seems that the details have not been made available yet to members.

• @ReadingMarginalista said:
    @ValleyWanderer Sorry if you thought my post was having a pop at anyone, I was genuinely interested as to whether I'd missed anything having missed the last few meetings and generally a bit out of the loop at the moment.

Not at all @ReadingMarginalista, I think it was my post that looks a touch sharp on reflection. The difficulties of posting rather than talking I guess. Happy New Year to you.

• @ValleyWanderer Happy new year to you too (and all Gasroomers), sorry for the misunderstanding! I'll sit tight until the next email from the Trust.

• If I win the euros tonight I'll out bid them and totally throw things open

• Just a snippet, overheard in the Vere post match today - Yanks put forward their proposal, Trust requested a couple of 'tweaks', nothing heard since from the other side of the pond. 14 Jan is a non-starter IMHO but the Trust needs to come out and make that known.

• Must be true then. Everything I've ever heard in the Vere has been.

Am I missing something? The Trust have never given the 14th Jan has a date for a vote have they? Why do they need to say it might not be?

• 14th Jan is the scheduled date for a meeting of legacy members to discuss proposed deal.

• Sorry. Can't find that confirmed via an email or on the Trust website.

• According to the original gasroom today:

The Trust special General Meeting provisionally scheduled for 14th January 2019 is understood to have been postponed until a later date. This is assumed as the Trust are required to give 14 days notice of meetings as detailed in their rules.

"Notice of a general meeting is to be given either:
    in writing; or where a member has agreed to receive notice in this way, by such electronic means as the Trust Board shall decide at least 14 clear days before the date of the meeting."

http://disc.yourwebapps.com/discussion.cgi?disc=31465;article=790309;title=gasroom.co.uk

• It's all gone very quiet hasn't it?

• Probably scared them off with all the stuff on here.

• They're just copying Theresa May now.

• Even if they have bothered to cast their very wealthy eyeballs across the Gasroom, comment has been mixed and I suspect a lot of us are still in two minds. I doubt they will pull out fearing the no votes of a few moaning ingrates @woodlands.

• I have heard that the trust are meeting tonight

• In the Barnsley programme and the AGM minutes published on the WWST website, the Trust talk about meetings with the Americans on the 14th and 15th of January.

I have two questions:

1) Are those meetings still going ahead?

2) What other options are being explored by the Trust board?

• Should you not be addressing your questions to the club/Trust Board @NiceCarrots ?