Skip to content

Match day thread: Barnsley

Comments

• @bookertease said:

As an aside I do like this quote from their forum:
    “That was next level shitgibbonry.”

...also amusing from their forum is "Wycombe didn't park the bus, they didn't even need to get it out of the depot we were that inept today"

• It was nice for a change to have a referee (and linos) who kept up with play, officiated sensibly and overall kept the game flowing. Pity we don't get more like them.

• A rather painful post-match interview by Barnsley Head Coach Daniel Stendel. Not just because his English is not up to speed yet, and needs the help of an interpreter. His exasperation and incomprehension at his side's poor performance doesn't seem to acknowledge the tactical superiority of his opposite number.

https://www.barnsleyfc.co.uk/iFollow/ (free to view}.

• This success goes back to the squad building. To be able to play three players with such pace will always make us a threat going forward. Having said that a front 3 of PCH CMS and Scottie K wouldn't have been too shabby either.

Also great that Sido is going through one of his more effective spells at CB and to have Stewart waiting in the wings shows the strength at that end too.

What a season so far vs the last two times in L1

• Good to hear Sue Scott say twice, on EFL on Quest, that "Wycombe are playing some really good football".

• @bookertease I think it would be tough to argue we were 'in control'.

I thought we managed the game defensively very well, helped by how predictable they were in attack.

For us going forward, I'd say we had a good 10 minute period from 45 until we scored the goal, then looked to set up shop - which, as I say, we did pretty admirably.

But for an actual Match Report to say we were dominant throughout, is a bit much!

• I'm with @prufrock_91, particularly after we scored Barnsley did dominate in midfield and I was surprised not to see Tyson hooked for Morris to give us another body in the mix there. Having said that, Thompson and Gape played formidably and have formed a great partnership. If one leaves in Jan, let alone both, we may have problems again but in the meantime it's wonderful to see them develop alongside each other and take so much pressure off the defence.

It's hard to single out players after such a fine team performance but Fred on the wing was a revelation - particularly his willingness to get back and defend, while every time he came forward he looked ominous. Alongside a fired up McCarthy with a point to prove against his old team, the right flank was really purring. Samuel also gets better each game, I love his tenacity and grit - having someone up front able to run ceaselessly, grapple for the ball and hold it up until others can be brought in was the missing link in Ainsworth's pressing game and really helps us play the way I suspect the gaffer always intended us to.

The team looks so balanced now and the 442 formation and ball on the deck brought out the best in all the players out there today. Long may it all continue.

• That was a fantastic effort from us today, we are raising the bar week by week with expectation-exceeding performances. The workrate and will to win was stupendous today - we seemed to want it much more than Barnsley in my opinion. They passed the ball around very well for the first 15 minutes or so - we couldn't seem to get it off them - but nothing came of it. We gradually got back into it - Fred I thought was superb around that time - but we couldn't find the final ball. We were growing in confidence the whole time though, and after a quiet start, Randell took over in the second half with some great runs and a fantastic winner. Barnsley came back into it, but I didn't feel nervous too many times, and I was pleased to see only 4 minutes added on instead if the usual 6 or 7.
    Difficult to pick a MOTM, but a special mention to Henderson who I thought looked very confident throughout - let's hope we can keep him for a while.
    Must mention the atmosphere. After the usual flat first half (feel for the poor drummer constantly trying to get things going), it really got going as the game wore on, and was as good as it's been for quite a while come the end.

• Some excellent reports on today’s match. And I agree with @Steve_Peart that it was pleasing to hear Sue Scott saying what good football Wycombe are playing. Please please please let’s not resort to hoofball if and when Bayo returns to the 18. The present team have clearly been passified, in @Malone’s memorably coined word and it would be sad to see the return of hoofification.

PS. I have no idea who Sue Scott is but she clearly recognises good football when she sees it.

• @NewburyWanderer said:
    That was a fantastic effort from us today, we are raising the bar week by week with expectation-exceeding performances. The workrate and will to win was stupendous today - we seemed to want it much more than Barnsley in my opinion. They passed the ball around very well for the first 15 minutes or so - we couldn't seem to get it off them - but nothing came of it. We gradually got back into it - Fred I thought was superb around that time - but we couldn't find the final ball. We were growing in confidence the whole time though, and after a quiet start, Randell took over in the second half with some great runs and a fantastic winner. Barnsley came back into it, but I didn't feel nervous too many times, and I was pleased to see only 4 minutes added on instead if the usual 6 or 7.
    Difficult to pick a MOTM, but a special mention to Henderson who I thought looked very confident throughout - let's hope we can keep him for a while.
    Must mention the atmosphere. After the usual flat first half (feel for the poor drummer constantly trying to get things going), it really got going as the game wore on, and was as good as it's been for quite a while come the end.

Thanks I pass that on to the drummer. today he was amazing the amount of ppl that go to him at end was brillant. going up to him saying how you not cold it like 5oc out there .he said to me keep singing,bouncing you won’t feel it. that’s what it all about he just immense I love our drummer he said to me we gonna win we gonna win lol look what happened

• He’s lucky to have such a loyal friend.

• @Chris said:
    He’s lucky to have such a loyal friend.

Who is mate

• Mcarthy really wanted to underline that they made a mistake letting him go and was everywhere. The Barnsley chant about how rubbish he was quickly petered out.

• @micra, sorry, I meant Sue Smith, the former England International striker. I quite like her co-commentary with Jonathan Pearce on England Women's games.

• According to the BBC we had 'a 1-0 win against fellow promotion hopefuls'. Doe that mean we too are promotion hopefuls, not relegation fodder now?

• I wonder if we hang onto all the players in January if we will manage to stay close to the play off places !!

• You don't have to pretend you're not the drummer Uptheblues

You put in a good shift today and it helped in the second half, but you don't have to incessantly bang the drum for the whole 90 minutes, it lessens the effect for the times when a drum is great.. Eg the first half today.

Still, can't fault your enthusiasm.

• No need to apologise @Steve_Peart. My comment would have been the same if you’d said Sue Smith, I’m sorry to say. I like Jonathan Pearce and have seen one or two England Women’s games but will look out for more.

• There’s a whole World Cup’s worth for you to enjoy next year, @micra. Scotland, Japan and the Argies in our group.

• What’s currently going on at Adams Park is quite extraordinary. These are halcyon days indeed.

• I think it is very unlikely that we will hang on to all the present squad @rmjlondon. With two loan players (Fred and Randell) playing impressively and likely to be attracting interest from wealthier clubs, a short-term contract player (Thompson) partnering, superbly, a player (Gape) whose contract expires at the end of the season, a player who has played only one game (Charlie Fox), the rarely seen Sam Saunders and a player from a club whose new manager may view Bryn Morris in a rather better light than his predecessor, there will inevitably be departures.

• @Steve_Peart It’s not the first time we’ve won 6 in a row in the FL, we did it in 1993-94 too. (The ever reliable Chairboys on the Net correctly reports this). We’ve never done 7 tho.

• @uptheblues , love the passion to want to drum and all that, but put a shirt on son, it's not sensible in this weather

• Thanks @Doob, makes the Wimbledon game even more important!

• Yet another bright, personable and articulate player (Dom Gape). Naturally hedging his bets regarding his future but unequivocal about shaking on finishing 15th ! Be wonderful to be amazed for a second time in January by another “remain” decision.

• I would not be surprised to see Fred sign for 3 years in January, Dom Gape also. Michael Harriman is also out of contract in the summer.

• 6 at home is a football league record !!!

@Doob said:
    @Steve_Peart It’s not the first time we’ve won 6 in a row in the FL, we did it in 1993-94 too. (The ever reliable Chairboys on the Net correctly reports this). We’ve never done 7 tho.

• It equals a football league record Richie. That very run in 93/94