Skip to content

Match day thread: Sunderland

Comments

• Really enjoyable game. We did a good job stealing the ball in midfield first half and gave them a lot of problems down their left flank. Only disappointment was that we couldn't convert that pressure.

Pinned back for long spells second half and only got a foothold after ten mins or so when Samuel earned us a route out. Thankfully we managed to score from one of those free kicks, however.

In the end 1-1 was a fair result. Great to go there and get a point. Felt a bit like a cup game in some ways playing in a stadium like that. Incredible setting and attendance for a league 1 game.

• A fantastic day out, what a Stadium, we have stayed up here over night and the locals are unbelievably friendly. We played to our full potential, they were below par, so a draw is the right result. 30,000 plus crowd makes this the biggest attendance in Europe today, not too often the Wanderers can claim that.
    If we play them again won’t be taking the ‘park and ride’ though, made our line for a half time cuppa look like speedy boarding.

• I agree with all the comments about our performance today, quite a contrast to the disappointing display at Luton and proof that we have nothing to fear in this division. Also agree about the majority of Sunderland fans, proper supporters and gracious in their praise of our team.

• Great credit to travelling blues fans. I know u must be tired after s long day. Well done.

• Indeed knackered but finally home relaxing and reminiscing on a fantastic match and trip. Can't wait til we play Sunderland at AP

• I would also like to state how fantastic it was to see Nathan Tyson back!

• I would like to read a football based report on that game from the likes of MC or NC

• I loved the day out in Sunderland yesterday, just walking up from the town centre to the very impressive Stadium of light with tens of thousands of football fans was amazing, and what a genuinely friendly bunch of fans they were.

• Stayed up in Crook for a couple of days with fanatical Sunderland supporting friends.As we made our way by car through the villages and towns of County Durham, what a site it was to see groups of Red and clad supporters at Bus stops. And the thousands of fans walking across the bridge to the stadium, was like something from a bygone age.
    With so many souless bowls marooned in the middle of nowhere, what a pleasure it is to visit the Stadium of light.. Friendly and knowledgeable fans, let's hope we get to visit this wonderful club sooner rather than later.

• Just need Newcastle in the cup some time soon, had a wander around st james in the morning yesterday v Impressive.

• Great game, fantastic result. Very impressed with the friendliness of the local people while the stewards enjoyed a joke & shared some biscuits with us. Complete opposite of Elland Road a few years ago. Would be lovely to play again at the Stadium of Light next season with both clubs in the Championship!

• @AlanCecil said:

I would like to read a football based report on that game from the likes of MC or NC

I’ve just fell in. @marlowchair & @NiceCarrots.

• Isn't it funny if we draw or lose (luton aside) we're a good hard working team. If we win we're a cheating time wasting team that the referee unduly favours.

• A win against top scorers and a point against the favourites. We belong in this league!!

• We're the classic game raisers, that's for sure!

• I’ve been to Sunderland many times in my job but to see Wycombe walk out in that wonderful stadium was a very proud moment. Then to see us play so well against a team that will probably be promoted made me even prouder. We all have differences of opinion when it comes to various players, tactics etc plus the direction we should go in off the field, but I’m sure we all agree that we support a very special club.

• Thumbs up to that @glasshalffull. (The most anyone has had, I think.)

• @glasshalffull said:
    I’ve been to Sunderland many times in my job but to see Wycombe walk out in that wonderful stadium was a very proud moment. Then to see us play so well against a team that will probably be promoted made me even prouder. We all have differences of opinion when it comes to various players, tactics etc plus the direction we should go in off the field, but I’m sure we all agree that we support a very special club.

Beautifully put @glasshalffull, in particular your reference to opinions and I fully concur. Although I was born in Northumberland and raised until age 12 (1963!) in County Durham, I've not had the pleasure of a visit to The Stadium of Light (or even Roker Park!). However, listening to the game on iFollow certainly made me feel proud and reminded me that we are indeed a special club.

• It was one of those games I felt I had to go to, despite the distance involved.
    Just in case we did win and then I would want to say "I was there".
    For 17 minutes we were in dream land whilst still fearing (and expecting) an equaliser.
    Great team performance by the team on the pitch and the football management staff and club staff off it.
    Lovely to be warmly welcomed by the home fans and the stewards.
    Great stadium to have visited
    Thanks also to two of my sons for sharing the driving with me.
    Great point for WWFC and yes I will still be glad that 'I was there'.

• Although I was not there I am pleased for those who were and it seems conducted themselves in a seemly manner.

• My abiding memory from a terrific weekend in Sunderland was after the final whistle. Whilst the players rightly lauded it up on the pitch and then in front of us in the stands GA remained in his technical area waiting to shake the hands and give a pat on the back to each and every one of the Sunderland players as they eventually trundled off towards the dressing rooms. He then came over to us to share the mutual appreciation. He certainly knows how to conduct himself.

• We are very fortunate to have Gareth, not just an excellent manager but a class act who knows how to conduct himself and is a wonderful ambassador for our club. Not all managers are so dignified in victory and defeat.

• Without doubt that was right up there with the best league away days of the past 25 years. Having booked a free weekend for my U15 Girls team at the start of the season to enable me to go, I had almost decided against bothering due to the ludicrously drawn out doubt over whether it would actually be played. Thankfully my daughters persuaded me to go and what a day it was. I have to endorse the comments about how friendly the locals were. The ones I spoke to seemed genuinely intrigued that a club they probably barely knew existed until this season would bring c.25% of their home support on a round trip of 550 plus miles. If you want a reminder of how far our club has come I bumped into a group of Sutton United fans on the train home who had been at Gateshead. We reminisced about the 1993 FA Trophy semi-final naturally and although I was impressed by their dedication to the cause (they took 37 fans) it underlined the progress the Club has made. Some of our supporters would do well to reflect on that and learn not to catastrophize the occasional and inevitable poor performance.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Wellesbourne75 said:
    Without doubt that was right up there with the best league away days of the past 25 years. Having booked a free weekend for my U15 Girls team at the start of the season to enable me to go, I had almost decided against bothering due to the ludicrously drawn out doubt over whether it would actually be played. Thankfully my daughters persuaded me to go and what a day it was. I have to endorse the comments about how friendly the locals were. The ones I spoke to seemed genuinely intrigued that a club they probably barely knew existed until this season would bring c.25% of their home support on a round trip of 550 plus miles. If you want a reminder of how far our club has come I bumped into a group of Sutton United fans on the train home who had been at Gateshead. We reminisced about the 1993 FA Trophy semi-final naturally and although I was impressed by their dedication to the cause (they took 37 fans) it underlined the progress the Club has made. Some of our supporters would do well to reflect on that and learn not to catastrophize the occasional and inevitable poor performance.

Well said sir, especially your final sentence.

• It was an excellent day to be a supporter of the Blues. A real rousing performance on the field and vociferous and positive support from the hordes who came up from South Bucks.
    Our away support has been growing in numbers for a while, and days like Saturday will only continue to encourage more to follow us on the road.

The stewarding struck the right note, plenty of them happy to have a chat about the game and our respective clubs rather than get confrontational for the sake of it.

A moment that gave me a wry smile was after the equaliser when the home fans started chanted about them being the greatest team the world has ever seen. I suppose they weren't too bad as they had just managed to drag themselves back into the game after going behind against the mighty Wycombe Wanderers.

• Well said indeed @Wellesbourne75 and I shall introduce “catastrophise” on the FB page if and when it becomes appropriate.
    I’d not come across the word before but I do recall Luke O’Nien’s departure being inappropriately described as a catastrophe.