Skip to content

Match day thread: Sunderland

Comments

• Match commentary will be on BBC3CR 630/1161MW and iFollow.

The EFL have u-turned on the live streaming of Saturday 3pm games during international breaks so it’s just audio for the UK today.

• Game is also live on talk sport 2

• Back to 4-3-3 then. Luke O'Nien starts on the bench for Sunderland.

• Sky saying wycombe are the better side at this time .

• edited November 2018

It’s all Wycombe at the moment. El-abd missed a sitter. But it’s still 0-0, we might regret not taking our chances.

• Well this is unexpectedly good.

• Playing really well, lots of possession and chances. Front 3 looking dangerous if maybe lacking a bit of cutting edge. McCarthy doing really well attacking from full back.

• And eight players aged 25 or under.
    BTW Phil Catchpole thought Sido was the only 6’ player in the Wycombe lineup. In fact there are four others - Ingram, McCarthy, Bryn Morris and Fred Onyedinma.

• Under a lot of pressure at the moment

• Talk sport 2 saying it’s a cracking game. Wycombe better side 1st half.

• Fred 0-1 come on Wycombe.

• 1,010 Chairboys must be going crazy!

• Gutting about the late equaliser... but top result, would definitely have taken that before kick off !!

• Great game.

• We stay 15th, 5 points above 21st placed Bristol Rovers (who conceded a late goal in a 2-1 home loss to Scunny) and 6 points behind 6th placed Charlton, who didn't play. Argyle walloped 5-1 at Luton and stay 22nd, 5 points from safety. Adams must be on his way out surely? Sadly, the PNL's sneak out the dropzone after a 1-0 win over Gillingham and are now 20th by virtue of a single point.

Bradford got a creditable draw away at 4th placed Peterborough, but remain bottom, 7 points from safety, level on points with Wimbledon, who remain 23rd.

Still a long way to go, but we're slowly but surely pulling away from that bottom four, as our friends at Bristol, Plymouth and Oxford continue to struggle. Shame we couldn't hold on for a win, but who wouldn't have taken a point?

• Credit to the team great point which could be vital at the end of season and also gives the team belief that they can compete with anyone in this league

• Not a bad day all round. They were a lot better in the second half but lots of last ditch defending including a filthy backheel from Sido, Good save from Matty.
    Their number 7 could have been booked about 4 times, right moany get

• Hopefully some footage about of fans at the end, all felt very cup tie.

• Excellent game. We turned over possession in midfield more than half a dozen times in the first half. We looked the more likely to score for most of the first half. Looks like we can live with the best in this division. Loved singing "Can we play you every week" in the Stadium of Light.

• What a great display by us, wonderful stadium and can I say I was bowled over by the locals. The Mackems are just about the most friendly and helpful folk I have had the pleasure to meet. Also in Hartlepool the day before, where a group of us stayed. Pleasantly surprised that both me and my big bag was not searched going into ground, can't remember when that happened last.

• Safc fan here, great turnout and noise from your lot today. Thought you played well and really brought the game to us. It wasn't our best performance by a long way and i was happy with a point over the course of the game. Safe journey home and best of luck for the rest of the season I hope you enjoyed your day.

• edited November 2018

It's interesting comparing the attitude of Sunderland fans (a genuinely big club) with the fans of the self-proclaimed super-massive clubs such as Oxford, Plymouth, Rovers and Luton etc.

They probably won't be happy to draw at home to Wycombe Wanderers, but reading lots of nice comments online from their fans, complimenting our performance and our fans, wishing us luck for the season and safe journeys home. Compare this to the bitching we usually get from the supporters of all those powerhouse teams in Leagues One and Two who could never quite come to terms with anything less than a 5-0 win against us.

When I lived in Portsmouth, I frequently heard Pompey fans talk about playing in Leagues One and Two as if it was some sort of insult to their status to have to play at that level, whereas I've read quite a bit from Sunderland supporters saying they're actually quite enjoying playing at this level and the adventures that it brings. I'm delighted to see them enjoying this season after sticking by their club through a rough few years.

Hope they win the league (or at least finish second behind us.......)

• @Jonny_King said:
    It's interesting comparing the attitude of the Sunderland fans (a genuinely big club) with the fans of the self-proclaimed super-massive clubs such as Oxford, Plymouth, Rovers and Luton etc.

When I lived in Portsmouth, I frequently heard Pompey fans talk about playing in Leagues One and Two as if it was some sort of insult to their status to have to play at that level, whereas I've read quite a bit from Sunderland supporters saying they're actually quite enjoying playing at this level and the adventures that it brings.

Hope they win the league (or at least finish second behind us.......)

Agree with this. Sunderland seem to be here to enjoy the ride, respectful of the opposition.

• Good day out that. Excellent stewarding, friendly folk everywhere.

• An absolute must do if we ever get to play at Stadium of Light again. A bit planes, trains and automobiles getting here but what a great day out!

• So proud of the boys. We have gone toe to toe with Portsmouth, Peterborough and Sunderland admirably.

I thought the switch back to 4-3-3 worked well thanks to the endless energy of Gape, Thompson and Morris, and our side men up front really pinched their back line well. We still did not create many chances, but not did they, and a draw is about fair. It always hurts when you go from 3 point to 1 late on, but considering there ended up being another 14 minutes or so, it did not feel so late in the end!

Love this team, this manager, and the effort and endeavor we always see from everyone in the blue quarters.

• Our 1010 fans were tremendous, sang all game. We average about 4000 home fans, so for one in four to travel 280 miles is really impressive. Especially so given the match was only confirmed on, on Monday, and the difficulties and increased cost of last minute travel arrangements.

• Brilliant day out (not home yet). Tactics and performance spot on, our fans amazing, great stadium and agree with the comments about the friendly locals.
    Exactly why we do this!

• Sunderland fan here. So much for LITTLE Wycombe! Great performance by your boys today, and amazing support from the 1,010, who really made themselves heard throughout the game. Wonderfully friendly fans, you’ll always be welcome in this part of the world, you all did your club proud. As for us, we were on the ropes first half, and just happy to get into the dressing room at half time. Much of the media up here, are saying that it was a ‘below par performance’ from Sunderland, but I think that’s being a bit disrespectful to Wycombe, who really took the game to Sunderland. All things considered, I think we’re happy to have not lost today, and take the point. Hope you’ve all enjoyed your day, have a safe journey home and good luck for the rest of the season.