Skip to content

Match day thread: Sunderland

13»

Comments

• Been thinking how classy, gracious and kind all the Sunderland fans were in the pub and around the ground. The only sizeable fanbase I think can stand up against it from all the places I've travelled following the Blues is Sheff Wed. Sunderland will rightly be welcomed to AP with open arms and I'm sure it will be a great atmosphere when they come to town.

• I hope the club does all it can to make the Sunderland fans welcome, to reciprocate the treatment we got at the Stadium of Light. This shouldn't of course extend to matters on the pitch!

• The club is generally pretty welcoming to away supporters. I am sure for example they will seek to open the beer tent etc.

Question is I suppose, if Sunderland believe they can sell out the away end but we will not sell out the home areas, do we incur the pain of freeing up some home area to increase away capacity?

• You could make the ground non segregated that day and there wouldn't be any trouble at all

That won't happen mind

• Mackems I was talking to on Saturday night said a 2000 away allocation takes about 20 minutes to sell out.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Although I was not there I am pleased for those who were and it seems conducted themselves in a seemly manner.

That is almost certainly true of I

• Oh no....I predict a future angry thread of 'they've made me move for away fans'

• Surely when Sunderland roll into town we'll be able to muster 6000- 6500 of our own fans so we don't even need to think about giving them loads more?

• I'd be more than happy to move to accommodate the Mackems if they want to fill the stadium........I'm sure they're as friendly and knowledgeable as it's been reported on here and we need the cash! Great to welcome another special and 'proper' club to AP.

• @Wellesbourne75 said:
    Without doubt that was right up there with the best league away days of the past 25 years. Having booked a free weekend for my U15 Girls team at the start of the season to enable me to go, I had almost decided against bothering due to the ludicrously drawn out doubt over whether it would actually be played. Thankfully my daughters persuaded me to go and what a day it was. I have to endorse the comments about how friendly the locals were. The ones I spoke to seemed genuinely intrigued that a club they probably barely knew existed until this season would bring c.25% of their home support on a round trip of 550 plus miles. If you want a reminder of how far our club has come I bumped into a group of Sutton United fans on the train home who had been at Gateshead. We reminisced about the 1993 FA Trophy semi-final naturally and although I was impressed by their dedication to the cause (they took 37 fans) it underlined the progress the Club has made. Some of our supporters would do well to reflect on that and learn not to catastrophize the occasional and inevitable poor performance.

My daughter wouldn't have allowed me to cancel her game so up and back in a day for us.
    The logistics would be tricky but would be fun to put my u15 girls team against yours!

• Why are allMakems called Geoff?

• @DevC no room for you in this bed Watford

• I do wish I lived in the same world as @LX1

• @bookertease you don't. Seriously

• I know at @LX1 and I am poorer for it

• @EssexWanderer My daughter's U15s side (that I manage) play on Saturday morning so requesting a free weekend (each team can request up to tbree a season) was the only way we could go to Sunderland - and both my daughters were thankfully ultra keen to go. We play in the Beds Girls League (Woburn and Wavendon Lionesses) and hold a massive girls only tournament each year with all ages from U8 to women. 22/23 June next year - do try and bring your team. Drop me a txt on 07966 392030 and I will make sure you get all the details.

• Is it just a coincidence that they are WW(L)FC? Rather a good one if so!

• @floyd Completely! But yes, and always makes the smile. The club is known as WWFC and comprises 31 boys teams and 9 girls teams. Being based in SE Milton Keynes on the Beds border there are a lot of Luton fans amongst the players and parents, including our club chair. So lots of banter as you can imagine. One of my players and both her parents are LTFC season ticket holders...