Skip to content

FRED Onyedinma Signs until January

Comments

• @Jonny_King said:
    @PBo Can we start entering the Berks and Bucks again as well?

Still the only trophy I've ever seen Wycombe win.

I fear it’s unlikely in the current “no reserve squad” climate, but it would be a positive thing if we did.

We can’t really whine about higher league clubs not taking cup competitions against lower league opposition seriously if we do exactly the same. But it is what it is.

• Great signing if he can play anywhere near the level of his loan last time around. It is really positive (as mentioned above) that so many players want to come back and play here a second time around, it must be an enjoyable experience for them.

Assuming the budget has been appropriately set and stuck to, it seems the current ownership model does after all let us bring in the quality of players that we need. So many exciting signings this summer.

• Good assessment Mooneyman.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @mooneyman , good assessment until you talk about Williams going back in Jan. Fred is only here until Jan too.

The main conclusion is we need to stay in all the cups, to give everyone games!
    I can see us loaning a couple of players out later on though. Freeman for one.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Anyone checked if Nico Yenarris and Josh Scowen are starting regularly?

09 isn't, back on loan in January?

• @Croider said:
    When have we played 5 at the back so far this season? It's been a flat back 4 in every game so far.

I could be wrong, but it seemed to me we lined up 5-3-2 against Plymouth. Or was Harriman playing right midfield?

• @ so it could be Fred is a good insurance policy. He could also be considered on trial for beyond January

• @mooneyman said:

@WanderingDays said:
    Am I missing something from Ainsworth here? Fred is a great signing, but we now have 9 attackers, which seems absurdly over the top:

• Bayo
    • Kashket
    • CMS
    • Tyson
    • PCH
    • Freeman
    • Williams
    • Samuel
    • Onyedinma

How do you fit them all in a matchday squad? I reckon Freeman, PCH, and Samuel will get very little game time now which is a shame, particularly for Freeman

I think as has happened so far, Bayo will generally be used from the bench with CMS taking the central role. Kashket, with his long standing injury problems will be used sparingly in an effort to keep him available for most of the season. Tyson has had injury problems which due to his style of play may re-occur if overused. PCH again regularly gets injured. Freeman hasn't entirely established himself as a starter yet. Williams is class but will be going back in January. Samuel is one for the future. Onyedinma will be hopefully a more reliable and injury free option.

Bearing in mind that overall we will be playing around 54 games this season, there should be plenty of game time for all of them. We will be able to regularly rest certain players without weakening the team, which generally we haven't be able to do in recent years

I agree that it is a wonderful problem to have. Our attack looks brilliant, surely the best ever for us in terms of both depth and quality?

However, my two concerns are:
    a) Good players not getting enough game time or feeling like they're blocked out of the team
    b) Not further strengthening the midfield

I have full confidence that Gareth will handle the situation well though. Personally, the two players in there who most excite me are Kashket and Tyson. I'd love to see them start in a front 3 with CMS at some point

• Delighted but seems mildly excessive. Maybe if our preferred formation is going to use 2 out and out strikers then GA felt he only had Bayo, CMS and Williams. Perhaps Tyson is out for longer than we think.

Apart from De Hav and Southwell i don't think we were ever in the position of having to leave a first team quality player out of the match day squad last season so it'll be nice to have that debate.....or to worry less about injuries.

• Interesting how all this fits in with the ‘we’re skint’ back-story. Pleased as I am to see Fred back it does seem a tad indulgent to have so many forwards especially if we are about to be told a sob story about how we haven’t got any money.

That aside it really only makes sense as a ‘trial’ with a view to him signing as a long-term replacement for one of the oldies in January.

But hard to accuse the club of a lack of ambition at the moment and as others have noted it is to GA and co’s credit that players seem to like it here so much.

• @bookertease It's possible we're only paying a percentage of his wages. Even more possible with Williams and maybe Fox too.

• If I remember correctly Eze seemed like an excessive signing at the end of last August, but he clearly added plenty to our attacking options and got a lot of game time. I’d expect Fred to do the same.

My first thought when I read this though was along the same lines as @Malone, in wondering whether Freeman may be about to go out on loan. A huge shame if so as I think we underuse him, but in Gareth we trust.

• Freeman is the most exciting young player we have. Most times he comes on, he has a positive impact on the game
    He runs at people and his crosses are mainly on the mark.
    I hope he is not the fall guy here.

• Good signing but in an area we're already strong in, would much rather have seen another
    central midfielder coming in, but I'm guessing we couldn't find one.

• As someone alluded to earlier, maybe Onyedinma was being made available with a view to a permanent and GA thought it was too good to refuse? He may have to bide his time a bit for now, but Tyson's going to need replacing sooner rather than later.

• I know we need a formation and all that but I'm genuinely slightly worried about this song clash with Bayo that StrongestTeam alluded to.

Can I suggest that we move one of them over to September by Earth Wind and Fire?

Ooh, Freddy Onyedinma,
    Ooh, forward or a winger,
    Ooh, signed him back on deadline day...

• Admittedly, I probably should have checked whether deadline day was yesterday or today before writing the last line down. Blame it on Fred-based overexcitement.

• Hopefully having this many wide players means we wont see CMS out wide again. He performed admirably there last season but its very clear he prefers the centre and is more effective there.

• As I see it we’ve got two buckets - one set of established forwards, most of whom are coming to the end of their career. And then 5 young players, mostly on loans or 1 year deals, who are trying to establish themselves and earn a stable contract (either here or with their parent). That gives us the benefit of having a good blend of players performing now, competition for places, and continuity options when Bayo, CMS and Tyson retire.

• I think at a push some of those can also play on the wings in midfield if we play a four can't they? Freeman PCH Fred, Williams?

• I still can't get over the fact that Fred wasn't brought on off the bench in the play off final loss to Southend. Does anyone know if he had he fallen out with GA or something or was he injured? He could have changed the game!

• fred was brought off the bench in the first leg of the play off semi final against Plymouth and did succeed in changing the game. On that night his failing to press the Plymouth full back was one of the factors that allowed them to come back into the game so strongly in the last 15 minutes.

I presume the reason he didn't come off the bench at Wembley was that we were drawing or winning the game throughout and that GA didn't trust him not to affect the game adversely.

He's a little older now and presumably has learnt the defensive side of his role more effectively.

• Fair point DevC thanks. Unfortunately we decided to take the ball to the corner when we had a clear chance to finish the game off and it came back to bite us. A lot has changed since then for the positive though and the future looks really bright!

• I seem to remember that his form dipped right off (along with the rest of the team) as the season came to its climax. I remember the home game with Morecambe where we effectively blew our automatic promotion chances and I seem to recall him having an absolute mare and falling over a lot. But still really pleased to see him back. When he first started he was fantastic.

• Could have sworn he did come on and gave the ball away a lot . He didn't, I've checked. Maybe in an earlier League game, or in the deep recesses of a twisted imagination.

Must be nearly beer o clock.

• @DevC said:
    Solve the problem by playing a right back up front?

Well spotted Dev, Harriman must be gutted to have to play midfield or maybe even right back. It all could have been so different!!

• @OnOurWay said:
    I know we need a formation and all that but I'm genuinely slightly worried about this song clash with Bayo that StrongestTeam alluded to.

Can I suggest that we move one of them over to September by Earth Wind and Fire?

Ooh, Freddy Onyedinma,
    Ooh, forward or a winger,
    Ooh, signed him back on deadline day...

His chant ( hardly a song ) was “Fred Onyedinma he scores when he wants” and repeat. No clash here not being used for any other player at present.

• You are being ironic I assume @perfidious_albion ? Perhaps you weren’t at the FGR game. That chant seemed to put the mockers on us 90 seconds after Kashket’s goal.

• I seem to recall that Fred was a replacement for PCH when the latter moved to the New Den. With PCH, shall we say, susceptible to injury, Fred may get plenty of opportunities wide right and perhaps, now that he is a much bigger unit, centrally.