Skip to content

Change kit to become away kit?

Comments

• Red and white quarters worked very well in the FA Cup quarters.

• @micra said:
    No need to copy down comments made 20 minutes previously. Just end your comment with Uncle_T .

If I want to I will. What are you going to do about it, pistols at dawn.

• Spot on @NewburyWanderer - If the change kit is so important, they at least need to create a Wycombe identity with it, rather than throwing a colour wheel against a wall and seeing what bounces off to hit them in the chin.

• @HolmerBlue It's interesting that when the quarters were reinstated 28 years ago (unofficially at the 'farewell to Loakes Park' game and officially at the first game at Adams Park), it was an almost universally welcomed change 'for the good', even for someone like me who had never seen us play in quartered shirts before. Sometimes change just feels right. I'd be horrified if someone came along now and said "right, time to go back to the plain light blue shirts..."

• Sure let’s have an away strip, just swap the quarters round the other way, still light/dark blue.

• I agree with everything everyone said in this thread. Even DevC. But not Richie because he's a berk.

• @mooneyman : What is dawn?

• Excellent @LeedsBlue .

• @perfidious_albion just wear the home kit inside out

• Lots of strong feelings about this, shame they can't be put at tonight's meeting. If the club really want to sell more kit then they need to consult the supporters on what design they want. Next season's kit has been chosen without that consultation so the club can't be too disappointed if it doesn't sell well.

• @micra said:
    mooneyman : What is dawn?

It was 5.05 today in Great Kingshill.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    HolmerBlue It's interesting that when the quarters were reinstated 28 years ago (unofficially at the 'farewell to Loakes Park' game and officially at the first game at Adams Park), it was an almost universally welcomed change 'for the good', even for someone like me who had never seen us play in quartered shirts before. Sometimes change just feels right. I'd be horrified if someone came along now and said "right, time to go back to the plain light blue shirts..."

I also started supporting back in the days of loakes park and the light blue tops, is also be horrified if they want back to that now

Actually I like @NewburyWanderer idea of a quartered change kit again or the other one mentioned... I actully liked our white change kit we had years ago the most of all

• Bloody typos !!

• I don't know about some of you but I'm bloody glad we didn't have quartered shirts back in the 70's. It was hard enough painting the light blue shirts on top of the Tottenham (probably) kit as it was for the Subbuteo team. Would have been a right bugger if I had to do the quarters.

I do actually still think it was a classic look back then, especially with the dark blue collars around 1974 and somewhere have a all light blue Verco replica shirt that i'm sure will still fit me (yea) but I agree we are a 'quarters' club so no wish to go back.

But also back then I seem to remember that our change strip was a yellow shirts dark blue shorts combination which I thought (and still think) looked stylish. Any chance of bringing that back?

• @Chris said:
    perfidious_albion just wear the home kit inside out

Genius

• I loved the old away yellow kit, with huge light blue numbers on the back.
    But again, im probably in the vast minority who would love to see the plain light blue shirts back for a season.

• @bookertease You're dead right about the Subbuteo problem - but me and my dad went for the slightly more cost-effective solution, buying Coventry City, thus only needing to paint the shorts.

• I love the notion of a vast minority @ChasHarps. Bit like the remain vote.
    I’m a quartered meself. @mooneyman wants me hung and drawn as well.

• @micra - don't forget the disembowelment as well!

• I was hoping I might be spared that @mooneyman. I suppose the pistol whipping goes without saying.

• Quarters for the hhomestrip with light blue shorts and socks change strip red and white quarters 3rd strip yellow shirts with light and dark blue diagonal stripes

• What I think is pretty crap is that the away shirt is being replaced after just one season. I Certainly would put me off buying it if it isn't the 'current' kit for very long at all! Should be at least 2 seasons I think or it seems like fleecing the fans. I personally thought that the away training kit was nicer than the away kit so I got some of that instead this year. The only thing I don't like is that the logo is also orange...

• 2 pluses of not having an away kit.

It increases 'brand' awareness. When you see our distinctive kit any football fan in the country knows straightaway the team they're watching. Surely a good thing?

It marks us out from most other clubs, makes us different. How many fans and pundits moan about unnecessary kit changes. Always point out that Wycombe aren't like the rest.

Let the away kit sponsors put their name on the quartered kit for away matches and get fans involved in the design of the change kit.

How about the away kit decorated with trust members' signatures. Encourage trust membership and increase kit sales. Didn't a Spanish side do this a few years back. Seville?

• The enforced wearing of a change strip when it would be perfectly possible to play in our famous quarters is definitely something that you would have to find an incredibly good reason to bring in. From what I can tell, it'll be another 'Causeway' debacle where the amount of goodwill lost will far outweigh any short-term increase in income (and in the selling-out of the Adams Park name, it really was a pitiful amount for the distress and ill feeling it caused).
    The sponsor in question must have done a calculation as to how much exposure their change strip sponsorship would get them for their money based on the kits of the teams in the league.
    If they suddenly find that they aren't getting enough exposure for their money, that's entirely their own fault.
    Trying to paint the notion of playing in our colours as being backward and holding the club back requires quite some mental gymnastics.

• Fully agree that blue quarters should be worn whenever possible. I've always thought we're rather fortunate in having such a unique, distinctive shirt, one that is instantly recognisable and synonymous with us. (I know a few non-league teams also wear similar, but far enough down the pyramid to not really cause any confusion - Croydon used to wear BQ's, but appear to have since abandoned them).

I've never owned a WW change shirt, save one that was a gift and quite frankly, with the exception of last season's, I've not liked any of our change shirts for quite some time, whereas I seem to recall we had actually some quite nice ones in the 90's and early 00's. Too many of our recent change shirts seem to have been just picked from a set of templates, with an emphasis on looking 'striking' rather than, well, good.

I like @NewburyWanderer's suggestions for, instead of going down the dangerous route of abandoning our traditions, focussing instead on making our change strip more appealing to fans, either by keeping the quarters design but in a different colour scheme (I like red/white for the Filbert Street nostalgia, or red/black - the colours on the Buckinghamshire coat of arms) or a pleasing retro-style shirt with a collar and a simple, tasteful design that incorporates some light and dark blue somewhere, either as a trim or a stripe across the front.

I also agree that sales could be improved by simply using the same change kit over two seasons, rather than just one. I can't think of any pro club that does actually do this, so presumably there is a reason - anyone know? I can see why clubs with a big, ahem, 'customer' base would do it (from a financial, rather than moral perspective) but why do we unless we have to change it? Didn't we keep the exact same design and colour scheme for three seasons between 2013/14 - 2015/16, just with different sponsors/suppliers?

• The orange kit looks great today!

• Oh it did indeed!

• The sunrise away 'Barcelona' kit was my favourite.
    I wonder if we could do a thin light dark blue rainbow starting at the bottom and fading into the sunrise as a nod to our proper colours, could put white in it, and have a rainbow which looked like part of the posh scarf.

I think that kit would sell - nod to the modern, nod to tradition, plenty of symbolism, not seen anything like it. Might suit an energy company.

I would buy one - just as a tribute to our away form.

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    Oh it did indeed!

Celebrating late @ValleyWanderer !

• You can say that again! It was somewhat enforced as we'd been out to old friends who live in the sticks with no mobile signal/wifi. Got back home at 2am and thought, why not celebrate!