Skip to content

Change kit to become away kit?

I understand the fans council are discussing tonight wether we should wear a change kit even when there is no colour clash . Am unable to attend this meeting which I believe is open to all but would like to say I am totally against this proposal . We are the Blues and proud of it and should not go down the route which other clubs have traveled on this issue .A club identity is defined by many things not least it's colours .

Comments

• I heartily agree! Wycombe are also one of those clubs with such a strong color identity, that you would know it was Wycombe even without a badge. It would be a shame to sacrifice that!

I assume it comes down to Utilita wanting more exposure.

• edited April 2018

.../ the sponsor being willing to pay us more money if "their" shirt gets worn more and the club perhaps selling a few more replica away kits if visibility increases.

I really like us so much more in the blue, for the identity reasons given above. I also like the idea of us being able to afford better players so as to enjoy greater success.

The balance between emotion and reason is a perplexing part of the human condition, isn't it.

• lucky you won't be deciding then isn't it lol

• if the new home kit is as bad as the current one, I would be in favour of wearing a change kit at home let alone away

• How much extra money would be gained from switching to this approach? What would this money allow us to do that we can’t do at the moment?

My suspicion is that the extra money would not be great, and that wearing the home shirt away is preferable (to me at least) to say an extra £10k. If it was an extra £100k I would change my mind.

• Whilst the change kit sponsor may pay more if there is a clause saying it will be worn in all away games, presumably any 'home' shirt sponsor would want to pay less, due to a reduction in exposure for that kit?

I am very much against this idea.

• Whatever happened to just getting one shirt sponsor and avoiding all this.

• Definitely in favour of keeping it as a change kit. I do agree with the point someone made (different thread) that the poor sales may be a lot to do with the design.

Regardless of how often it is worn by the team, it just doesn’t feel or look like a Wycombe shirt.

Would be interesting to see some figures on sales of the away shirts over the years to see what were good sellers

• Would like to see the financial implications of this before coming to a personal view.

• Obviously we would need to see the financials before making a final decision, but I do think this would be a great shame.

Four options
    1) I shirt sponsor on both main and change kit
    2) I shirt sponsor on main kit and a different one on change kit
    3) 1 shirt sponsor on home kit and a different one on away kit worn for each away
    4) 1 shirt sponsor for home matches and a different one for away matches but wear
    blue quarters away with away sponsor except where clash

What are the financial differences between the options?

Unless very significant, I am unfussed between 1,2 and 4 but prefer each of those to 3).
    it appears the money is the other way around though.

• @DevC said:
    Obviously we would need to see the financials before making a final decision, but I do think this would be a great shame.

Four options
    1) I shirt sponsor on both main and change kit
    2) I shirt sponsor on main kit and a different one on change kit
    3) 1 shirt sponsor on home kit and a different one on away kit worn for each away
    4) 1 shirt sponsor for home matches and a different one for away matches but wear
    blue quarters away with away sponsor except where clash

What are the financial differences between the options?

Unless very significant, I am unfussed between 1,2 and 4 but prefer each of those to 3).
    it appears the money is the other way around though.

Great post I fully agree. If you asked supporters you would obviously receive the same feedback more often then not.

You have to be principled. We aren’t going bankrupt any time soon and should stick to our traditional colours where possible. It pains me everytime I see other clubs at any level, but particularly ours using their “away” kit unnecessarily.

• It was discussed at the last meeting, Michael Davies said the change shirt is not selling well, so this is a proposal to boost sales, and means a change to the Charter. I don't remember this being proposed for the benefit of the sponsor. He said that the home strip would always be worn for 'big' away games, such as the FA Cup, but there would be a few more games when the change strip is worn, when it doesn't need to be, a set number to be agreed.

I always like to see the home strip worn when possible at away games, but I also know how strapped for cash the club is, the GM keeps reminding of us that at the meetings. The fact that the shirt is not selling may well be to do with the design, I have never liked any of the current kits, so I am hoping next season's is an improvement. For me it's a difficult balance between being a purist and acknowledging the need to boost income, which is still unresolved for me. The general mood at the meeting was mainly in favour of the GM's proposal. I can't make tonight's meeting so do try and get along if you can, the opinions of the fans are very much taken into account by the club.

• it is hard to understand why anyone would want to spend £40 on a change shirt - even if it was worn say 10 times a season - however attractive the design may be. Surely sales will always be low. While I understand club money concerns, surely the extra commission on a handful of away shirts is not worth the negatives re abandoning the blue quarters.

• edited April 2018

I can’t imagine knowing the away kit will be worn for a few extra games will persuade people to buy the change shirt or not. And in any case what’s the difference in profit when the change shirt sells well, to when it sells badly? Even the best selling Wycombe away kit can’t have sold that many, can it?

It doesn’t seem worth losing the tradition of wearing the home kit as often as possible, when the alternative is a highly speculative move that at best doesn’t give us anywhere near enough additional profit to pay the wages of a single youth player.

• The club broke the charter by wearing the change strip unnecessarily at Meadow Lane.

• Since when did we have what ever colour it is supposed to be as a club away colour anyway. It's pretty shit. What ever we sell I doubt it makes much of a difference to the club. Why don't they tell us the actual sales figures and the profit per shirt.

• I don't mind the tomato soup change strip that much when there is a clash but would want the blues every time if not.

• This is nonsense isn’t it? Wycombe Wanderers play in light and dark blue quarters and should do unless there is an obvious clash. Why do we have to have this discussion every couple of years?

• Since when has the change shirt ever sold well? Why would it?! Even if it wasn't explicitly stated I can't believe this wouldn't be a demand driven by the change shirt sponsors. To which the answer is surely Dev's fourth option, which a few of us were expecting to be the case when the deal was announced in the first place - just stick Utilita's logo on a couple of dozen 'home' kits and make the team play in those at away matches.

And the answer to getting more supporters buying more replica kits in general is to ensure next season's quartered shirt isn't as much of a cluttered mess as the current version.

• Agree with @Wendoverman even though I like the burnt orange a lot.

• The name of our football club is Wycombe Wanderers. The town that it plays in is High Wycombe. The club colours are Oxford and Cambridge Blues. Anyone who seeks to change, weaken or dilute (however slightly) any of these principles is an enemy of the club as far as I'm concerned.

• The change shirt isn't selling well because its not very inspiring.

We haven't had a nice strip since the Samsung/FIFA one.

• I remember an employee of the club shop telling me the Orange kit was an away kit on this forum. Quarters at every opportunity, end off.

• Keep coming back to the numbers on this if it is about shirt sales rather than sponsorship revenue.

Surely we cant sell very many of the quarters shirts whatever the design (around 1000per year maybe). Surely the away shirt (not in the iconic blue) would not sell many at all. (around the 100 mark??).

Even if by playing in the away shirt every away game persuaded the very keen to buy both a home and an away shirt, its hard to see more than a couple of hundred extra shirts being sold. Even if we make a marginal profit on those shirts of £15, that would only be £3k.

Even if its as much as £10k extra profit, surely not worth giving up one of the key parts of your identity.

• Absolutely hate not playing in the quarters !! It's our identity, it's our kit that we are recognised by... should be used every game unless there is a clash away from home.... end of

• The burnt orange change kit has had an unusual competitor for people's money this season: the psychedelic goalkeeper's kit. When given a choice between getting the change shirt or the goalie shirt at the start of the season my son chose the goalie shirt (he already had the home shirt). I would be interested to know if any reduction in change kit sales this season has been compensated by an increase in goalkeeper kit sales.

As an aside, unlike some posters on this thread who can't wait to see the end of our current home kit, my son is unhappy that it is due to be replaced as it's been his favourite Wycombe kit. Each to their own tastes.

• You could disown him @Uncle_T

• @Uncle_T said:
    The burnt orange change kit has had an unusual competitor for people's money this season: the psychedelic goalkeeper's kit. When given a choice between getting the change shirt or the goalie shirt at the start of the season my son chose the goalie shirt (he already had the home shirt). I would be interested to know if any reduction in change kit sales this season has been compensated by an increase in goalkeeper kit sales.

As an aside, unlike some posters on this thread who can't wait to see the end of our current home kit, my son is unhappy that it is due to be replaced as it's been his favourite Wycombe kit. Each to their own tastes.

Is your son colour blind!

• My personal view on this is that I don't like to see the change kit being worn unnecessarily, as, for example, recently at Notts County. I hate it when I see other teams doing it at AP or on TV, especially when there ends up being even more of a colour clash - one good example being Watford v Arsenal either this season or last, with Arsenal wearing a kit peppered with yellow features.

Concerning ourselves, I might be open to us wearing the change kit at more away games if we had a kit with more Wycombe-like touches, for example:-

1) keep the quarters (in the same design as the home strip), but use different colour combinations, such as green/white, green/black, maroon/white, or combinations we've used before (red/white, yellow/navy).

2) have an all-white strip with two fairly close horizontal bands (one light blue, one dark blue), similar to the design that West Ham have used from time to time, or an all-white strip with a diagonal sash (half light blue, half dark blue). This shouldn't really cause too much of a colour clash.

Of the two options, 2) with the horizontal bands would be my preferred one, but both would contain elements which were recognisably Wycombe-like.

• No need to copy down comments made 20 minutes previously. Just end your comment with @Uncle_T .