Skip to content

Matt Bloomfield signs a new contract

Comments

• This one very much has the feeling of when hayes got a new 2 year deal. He has had a great season but playing wise a 1 year would have been more appropriate in my opinion given his age and ability. If it is aimed at him taking up more of a coaching role especially in year 2 and if he is being groomed as being our next manager then great, however we thought that of hayes as well. Even though their a couple of years older I think Tyson and bayo will have more to offer in 2020 than blooms and they both got 1 year so feels more out of sentiment that he got 2.

• People have been writing Blooms off for years, especially every time he gets a contract extension and yet he keeps putting in the shifts. Pretty obvious he's being groomed as a potential coach/manager.

• I wonder what sort of manager Matty will be. He's always struck me as an intelligent, cultured kind of chap, keen to play the ball through midfield and aware of the simple beauty of a balanced and fast-flowing 442. But maybe I'm projecting too much! I suspect he'll have learnt well the lesson from Ainsworth that sometimes you need to get down and dirty - and he's certainly been an early and enthusiastic adopter of the current regime's cultivation of dark arts. I think we'd get a deep-thinking manager in Bloomfield rather than a touchline bawler. But hopefully also capable of showing some grit - after all, he doesn't want to end up like Neil Smillee.

• @drcongo said:
    No post from arnos_grove? Guessing he's fainted.

Haha! Not a big favourite of mine but I suspect there’s more to it than just playing. He’s done alright when I’ve seen him this season - just needs to work on making his diving more convincing.

• @na104 , not anything like the same really, as Hayes was captain, top end earner, and the "key" striker. Bloomfield hasn't ever been a key player, but is a solid, reliable guy who won't moan and puts in good shifts when needed.
    Bloomfield also hasn't really lost any mobility, or had the sort of injury Hayes had that left him looking a bit shot.
    Finally, we haven't bought a key player in Bloomfield's position that means he'll never play there and has to be shunted out wide!

• he is so slow now, its funny when somebody plays a ball and he chases it without a hope in hell of catching it. embarrassing to have given him a 2 year playing contract however long he has been here.

• @rmjlondon I shall see you at dawn sir.

• Good decision. He certainly deserves another year after his performances this year.

More importantly I think is the message it sends out to other players - both with us and potential targets. Yes we might not be a cash-rich club but we look after our players and reward loyalty and dedication.

If I’m 2 years time Matt plays only a handful of games (as we challenge for the league 1 title) it could still have been a good business decision.

• @rmjlondon said:
    he is so slow now, its funny when somebody plays a ball and he chases it without a hope in hell of catching it. embarrassing to have given him a 2 year playing contract however long he has been here.

Your opinion contradicting everyone else’s, now there’s a surprise.

• he can't run and is slow when he has the ball, if u cant see that I would make ya way to the nearest specsavers.

• Bloomfield will not play again this season.

• I doubt thats the case, GA loves him.

• Irony alert, rmj.

• I largely agree with Richie appraisal of Blooms's playing qualities.

• @HCblue to be fair his assessment was full of self-awareness and humour. Which bit do you disagree with?

• example when eardley fell over at lincoln, blooms was clean through on goal but eardley managed to fall over get up and catch up with blooms and take the ball off him before he even had a chance to see where allsop was let alone shoot, now if that had been tyson we would now be 3 points better off.

• I wasn't aware that there were 4 pts for a win in that game, Richie.....

Interesting one, this. No objections to a one year deal, but two is surprising given the players age. Does seem obvious that this is at least with one eye on a coaching role but even that is normally in the gift of the manager at the time (who may or may no be GA). Does rather tie the hands of any new manager which perhaps suggests that the plan if new manager is required is that that new manager will be at least internal and very possibly have the initials MB.

• @rmjlondon said:
    example when eardley fell over at lincoln, blooms was clean through on goal but eardley managed to fall over get up and catch up with blooms and take the ball off him before he even had a chance to see where allsop was let alone shoot, now if that had been tyson we would now be 3 points better off.

I see where you’re coming from. I guess that one incident sums him up more than the 400-odd games he’s played for us. Incidentally we drew at Lincoln so in your scenario we’d be 2 points better off, not 3.

• @DevC said:
    I wasn't aware that there were 4 pts for a win in that game, Richie.....

Interesting one, this. No objections to a one year deal, but two is surprising given the players age. Does seem obvious that this is at least with one eye on a coaching role but even that is normally in the gift of the manager at the time (who may or may no be GA). Does rather tie the hands of any new manager which perhaps suggests that the plan if new manager is required is that that new manager will be at least internal and very possibly have the initials MB.

Could be a Hayes Bloomfield dream team!

• God, can you imagine @rmjlondon and Bloomfield as manager, he'd hardly be able to articulate his footballing thesis for wiping the phlegm off his screen!

• Richie, you've been utterly outwitted by Dev

Time to call it a day son

• I imagine Richie is regularly outwitted by the mechanism of his own doorhandle and that's why he spends the entire day inside posting drivel on here, trapped inside his own home.

• Marcus Bean?

• Dont even get me started but I prefer Beano to MB because Marcus deals with danger so well that most people don't notice it

• @rmjlondon said:
    Dont even get me started but I prefer Beano to MB because Marcus deals with danger so well that most people don't notice it

Sensible post for once and one I agree with.

• @rmjlondon said:
    Dont even get me started but I prefer Beano to MB because Marcus deals with danger so well that most people don't notice it

Except most people do.

• I’m sulking now @Chris . I wanted to make that quip. But, thinking about it, we could do a lot worse.

• Nice one @rmjlondon, mate.

• @micra Mel B, Mary Berry and Michael Bolton would all be a lot worse.

• 'Fans react in shock as renowned Troll makes positive comment on football fan forum'

As Gasroomers reeled rmjlondon (14) clarified his position: 'I only said I preferred Bean to Bloomfield. I did not say I liked either.'