Skip to content

The Opposition View - Crewe Alexandra

With some 'interesting' views from David Artell, who can probably expect a fine...

http://www.wycombe.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=518567

Comments

• I didn’t like Artell’s behaviour when we played Crewe at home and he was just as bad today. His comments were deluded in the extreme. Go ahead and play ‘football’ mate, it’s all about scoring goals and winning.

• There is more than one way to "play football" and we found a way that was better, simples!
    Agreed, Artell was like a spoilt child at AP & by the sounds of it, was the same again today. Sour grape anyone?

• edited January 2018

Wasn't there today but his "three or four nil" comment sounds a bit like some I seem to remember after the home game and they were very far from reality. Looking at the stats, today's seem like they might be in the same category.

• Clueless.

• Artell is clearly going to be in trouble over those comments, not quite as bad as Darren Ferguson's last week, but not far off.

And these snide comments about our style of play just don't wash this season. I suspect our fans have been much more entertained by our team, than Crewe's fans have been by their side.

• He sounds like he’s been listening to too much Donald Trump.

• He can console himself in the beautiful football his team plays, and how they're consistently stitched up by officials when he's out of work in a few games time.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Cant wait to see the clip of the ex Oxford Buffoon Michael Raynes gifting us the winner, never forget the day he kept running to teacher (ref) which saw Stevie Craig sent off against the Headington name changers.

• Just thinking the same @fame_46. A manager that despite all the stats showing to the contrary insists everything is brilliant.

• Amazed that Artell didn't criticise the ref for not booking his own Crewe player for the professional foul on JJ in the first five minutes. Would that be a little inconvenient?

• Totally deluded. We did our fair share of Direct but especially in the first half there was some lovely skilful play. I don't remember being wowed by any particularly outstanding football from Crewe and they resorted to 'hitting the front' in the second half

• I agree about our first half display. Not outstanding but certainly not ‘inept’ as someone described it.

• edited January 2018

Absolutely, we played some excellent stuff in spells, with Paris linking well with Moore and O’Nien in particular. That said I thought Bayo was outstanding and won simply everything all game.

Crewe defended really well for the most part and we ourselves could have scored three or four by half time but for them throwing bodies in the way. We were the better team frankly and whilst I was worried when Crewe went forward that’s been the case all season with the way we defend at times.

• I said this last week too (might as well keep a template!) but GA seems to be the only manager who does not whine like a knackered violin after a loss, and insist his side should have won 5-0.

I can understand Crewe being upset over the second, but to act as though they dominated? They should be more upset over being so unadventurous when 1-0 up, as they looked good after our equalizer.

• @Shev said:
    I said this last week too (might as well keep a template!) but GA seems to be the only manager who does not whine like a knackered violin after a loss, and insist his side should have won 5-0.

I can understand Crewe being upset over the second, but to act as though they dominated? They should be more upset over being so unadventurous when 1-0 up, as they looked good after our equalizer.

Good point @Shev and I suspect it's to do with confidence, the thin veneer of which many managers maintain with their teams by talking up all the time and blaming the referee for almost everything that doesn't go their way. GA on the other hand, seems to have almost total faith in his charges and that extends throughout the dressing room. You've only to see the support that the team gives to the new boys and loanees when they make a mistake (like a penalty given away) to realize that the team acts more like a family than a group and they all dig in and get on with the job by genuinely playing as a team. This and Dodds is probably why we manage to punch a little above our weight in securing good quality loan players for development. Long may it continue and well done to GA, Dodds and the squad.

• Took the words right out of my mouth Shev. It's at times like this when I feel so proud to have Gaz as our manager. He is always gracious, whether we've won or lost, and never criticises the ref or the opposition. If I were a Crewe fan I'd be embarrassed by Artell's comments. He sounds like a spoilt child. Certainly not the sort of example for a manager to set.

• edited January 2018

GA has said so many times, never get too high when we are winning and never get too low when we are not. That approach will help him stay balanced and avoid the silly rants we hear from some of the other managers.

• I think when it comes down to it GA is a lot more intelligent than most other managers; he certainly has a lot more emotional intelligence. We're very lucky to have a man of his stature in charge.

• edited January 2018

Gaz is so dignified the whole time. Occasionally you even want him to let loose at someone like a Westley or Hylton. or even the occasional ref.

No real benefit to it though, so it's good he can be composed in a way most aren't.

He was like it as a player though. I remember him catching a Millwall guy with an elbow, and some thug player came and shoved him to the floor from behind like a coward, and he just got up calmly, when most would have gone for a ruck.

Similarly when "Angry Doc" got sent off against him, he still tried to passify him

• @ValleyWanderer : I take it that by “Dodds” you are referring to the admirable Richard Dobson or “Dobbo” (forgive me @Malone) as he is affectionately known.
    He and GA are both absolute gems and it is hard to imagine who could adequately replace them in the context of a supporter owned club consistently punching above its weight.

• Thank's @micra, I was being spoken to (at!) by Mrs ValleyWanderer at the time and clearly can't tell my d's from b's!! "Dobbo" is indeed a true gem and we are very fortunate to have him.

• I am so heartened to read these complimentary posts about GA after seeing the nonsense posted on other websites whenever we have the temerity to lose or even draw. He is not ‘tactically inept’ nor has he ‘lost the dressing room’, two of the cliches much favoured by the keyboard coaches who think they know better.

• You had me up to the 11th word, @glasshalffull. Not sure of the need to continually hark on the other bits.

• Give it a rest @glasshalffull - most people choose not to read any of that nonsense and we don't need continued updates from you

• @glasshalffull said:
    I am so heartened to read these complimentary posts about GA after seeing the nonsense posted on other websites whenever we have the temerity to lose or even draw. He is not ‘tactically inept’ nor has he ‘lost the dressing room’, two of the cliches much favoured by the keyboard coaches who think they know better.

You've lost me. When has anyone ever said that GA has lost the dressing room? Please direct me.

• @eric_plant said:
    Give it a rest glasshalffull - most people choose not to read any of that nonsense and we don't need continued updates from you

Oh, I didn’t realise that you and HC Blue were the arbiter of what should and shouldn’t be written about on here. I’ll be sure to check with you first before I post in future.

• For a man with your moniker, you don't half spend a lot of time referring to negatives that few if any here know anything about. Naturally, you can stand on your right to post as you see fit. But if you're going to go that route, don't be so precious if others exercise the same prerogative.