Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Barnsley

Comments

• An even and incredibly entertaining game.... frustrating we didn't get all 3 points but Barnsley could have easily nicked the win too.

2 goals and a solid away point.

Yeah... I'll take that.

• We have got to tighten up at the back and see those kind of games out. Game management straight after both of our goals was poor and let them straight on to us.

• Looks like everybody (except Cambridge) is in the mix this year

• Yet we could have lost given Barnsley’s total dominance of last 10 mins

• 6 unbeaten, 14 from 18 pts, 2 goals scored in every game this really is some start to the season

• edited October 1

I think Rav has done better this season, but not so much in the last two games. Would like to see Shamal George get a run in goal just to see if we can manage our set pieces better. I don’t think man marking is helping our cause. Much prefer zonal or a half and half blend. Not Rav’s best day for distribution or box management. He did make some great saves though.

However, I think that’s a great point and a very good showing away from home on a Tuesday, especially considering the fixture congestion we’ve had.

Seven unbeaten in the league. We’ve played four of the top seven already - three of which away and top of the table at home. We’re unbeaten with Morley and Humphreys. Looking good value this season.

• Been to four league games this year and seen us get two points. We’ve got 12 from the four I’ve not been too. Might just stop going

• and what you have said if that had happened? A good defeat.

Jeez, it’s amazing how many think that’s a good point. We’ve thrown away two points to a play-off rival.

• A draw away to a team above us in the table should not be described as two points dropped. Most of us would have accepted a draw before the game and Barnsley are a very decent team who will be a lot more frustrated than we are.

• Very entertaining second half. Surprised at some of the negativity on here, Barnsley look a very good side, especially at the back, so a point and another two goals on a wet Tuesday night in Yorkshire will do for me.

• Good point.

but a win would have use in 4th. We’re sat in 8th now.

• The classic would have taken a point before kick off, but disappointed to concede so late.

We've definitely come on a real gear when we're disappointed not to beat the likes of Barnsley away though

• A very good point against a team that will be there or thereabouts the play-offs at the end of the season.

• Another 2 goals for us.

2 goals for Dale Taylor vs Posh

2 goals for Chem Campbell for Reading

2 points dropped but good result against a playoff hopeful

• edited October 1

Coming to the end of a period of playing Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday we've won 4, drawn 1 (Barnsley away) and lost one (Aston Villa).

That is a superb return for such a congested schedule. On to Crawley, and then the boys get a week off for the first time since 14th September.

• We were probably 18th this time last year.

Strength in depth has never been better, we could never do back to back games over last few seasons, games coming thick and fast and the points may be too.

Need to sharpen up defensively, particularly against better sides but no shame in that draw in the pissing rain.

• And a loss would have us in 11th or lower.

As others have said I think the Tykes will be considering it points dropped at home to rivals for the playoffs where it’s another point gained away for us.

Yes disappointed not to have held on but a good point in my opinion

• The old adage. Win your homes. Draw your aways. You can’t go far wrong.

• It is the performance that is the most pleasing - we went up to Oakwell and played them evenly. We are clearly a force to be reckoned with!

• edited October 1

Barnsley were better than us for large spells of the game. Both teams guilty of some very loose passing at times, especially in the first half. I’m not sure we deserved to win but having gone ahead so late it’s disappointing not to have held out.

I understand the rotation but we need to start having a more settled side when possible. That will only aid the way MB wants the team to play. That said, competition is strong, which can only be a good thing.

Harvie is beginning to look like the player I was expecting and Morley is a touch of class. Josh was exceptional tonight, how does a man of his height win so many headers?

• Cracking 2nd half. Frustrating not to win, but equally pleased that we didn't lose at the end following the late Barnsley onslaught. Draw was fair, but we can be really pleased with our attacking football in that 2nd half against strong opposition.

Disagree with those who thought Barnsley should've had a penalty. I thought it was at the time, but clearly a dive on 2nd viewing, with the forward desperately trying to initiate contact with Harvie.

• edited October 1

Kone has 9 goals in 34 total appearances for us. Based on minutes, he averages a goal every 173.88 minutes, which is slightly better than one every other game. That would be 23-24 goals playing every minute of every game (which he obviously won't), and leads me to believe he should manage 10-15 with more limited time this season, at least. I could see both Udoh and Lubala doing the same.

Top scorers (all comps):

Lubala: 5

Kone: 4

Udoh: 3

Vokes: 2

Humphreys: 2

Sadlier: 2

McCleary: 2

Harvie: 1

Low: 1

• Got to be one of the strongest benches we've ever had tonight. Really helps when you can bring on players of that quality

• One point gained, two points dropped…three points off second with a game in hand…many different ways of looking at the result and position but as said before KO, I would’ve happily taken a point from there. Talking of perspective, the Barnsley forum is a miserable pit that rivals the horse puncher forum for post-match negativity. I don’t often check in on the opposition view but whenever I do there’s rarely much credit for us. Which is fine by me, more than happy for us to be the quiet dark force at the moment.

• I’m really excited about Fred the Fourth, looks like he’s really upped his game while on sabbatical.

• At times it felt like watching the Wycombe of old - and I’m okay with that, we are adaptable. It wasn’t always pretty but another 2 goals and a useful point against a decent side.

A special note for the referee who I didn’t feel had a great game. For much of the second half it felt like the game would be decided by one of his decisions, either a sending off or a penalty, but I’m glad it was neither.

• edited October 1

Supposedly Blooms just said (in the presser): "At least our goalie didn't fall over this time." 😂

• Knowing Blooms’ character as we all do, that’s an almighty dig in his lovely polite world

• I thought we looked quality tonight. Shame we drew