Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Barnsley

Comments

• On WanderersTV, Sky Sports+ and NOW.

• Still one of the finest badges in the entire 92.

• Badge seems Oktoberfest appropriate

• If, like me, you were fearing that tonight’s match might be called off because of a waterlogged pitch, fear not. I just spoke to someone at the club. He said that the rain was easing and that he was confident that the match would go ahead.

• Didn't even think about that. Ordered a couple tickets before for me and Ellis.

• I feel that the 91 as a whole would benefit from a long ponder on that motto

• The Gasroom has been far too giddy of late. I fear it’ll boil over with excitement if we win tonight. Definitely ‘draw would be a good result’ territory in what’s likely to be a proper test. Let’s see if we can beat some of the contenders as well as the cannon fodder.

• I’ll almost always take a point away from home. I would have been happy with four points from the Bristol Rovers-Barnsley-Crawley run so tonight feels like free hit territory. Not that I’ll feel that way by kickoff.

• Tonight is a proper litmus test for our play-off aspirations. We need to be taking a point away at those who are going to be at the top end of the table if we are indeed to mount a challenge.

• I must admit I am a little excited about tonight.

COME ON YOU BLUES!

• I am sure dropped points tonight and the non-giddy Gasroomers will be out 'Pressure on Bloomfied now...reality check for someone here...etc..'

I predicted a draw...be happy with that and happier with a late winner and a debate about fouling the keeper!

• Sterling work! I'm on holiday after the Crawley game @micra do you have any weather contacts in Dorset? 🙂

• edited October 1

Given the fixture congestion and minutes we’ve dished out to senior players in Pizza Cup games…

A draw would be very good. A win would be magnificent. I think we’re more than capable of either.

• People seem to be placing a lot of importance on tonight’s game - I understand it to an extent although it is not a be all or end all game. Barnsley away is our first big test as a settled team. A win would be a statement and say this team CAN win promotion. Anything other than a win would suggest we are still a top half team capable of making the play-offs.

• I heard @glasshalffull say it was a must win game

Brave call

• I am still haunted by the same fixture from last season. I will happily take a draw.

• Barnsley have only scored three once this season, away at Crawley, which suggest we'll be good for at least a point.

• “We’re Wycombe Wanderers, we always score two” 🎶

• I think the only importance of this game is that it is the next game of a decent run and we are possibly more excited and hopeful of a victory than we might have been at this stage last season.

• It's blowing a gale tup ere. But the rain has stopped

• With Blackpool playing Lincoln, a win gets us to at least 5th.

• edited October 1

I'd take a point all day long away to Barnsley.... I would be disappointed, but won't shed a tear if we come away with nothing.... HOWEVER... I'm hopeful and excited to see if we can get all 3 points and carry on marching up the table!

• Minus three points off the playoffs

• A heavy defeat (unlikely as that feels) would undermine ever so slightly your contention that anything other than a win would suggest that we are still a top half team capable of making the playoffs.

But, I think the fact that only Manchester City and Liverpool have won more matches than Wycombe this calendar year is evidence enough that we are capable of making the playoffs.

As I said on the Rovers thread on Sunday, if results at Blackpool and Crawley go our way and we beat Barnsley, we go third in the table.

When all is said and done, provided we perform as well as we have in pretty well every game so far this season and convert at least a couple of our chances, I think most of us will be content.

COYB

• I think Fred will start tonight. I think Fred will score tonight. 😂

• That sounds somewhat unseemly but we know what you mean.

• My Wanderers TV says not available in their region. Is it on Wanderers TV?

• edited October 1

I have a Bournemouth supporting friend but I think he’s more into so-called “modern” jazz than meteorology.

For what it’s worth, here’s what I think. The first few days of next week will be very unsettled but things will calm down from midweek onwards. There will be no Indian summer or any other variety of summer.

Whatever the weather, so long as we’re together, ra ra ra. Enjoy the well earned break.