Skip to content

Match day thread: Blackpool

Comments

• edited August 31

Rav made a couple of superb saves, including a double save right at the end. But for some reason he does not inspire. Seems really harsh and I can’t put my finger on it, we just seem unsettled at the back especially from set pieces.

• ‘Low isn’t good enough and should be dropped’…I don’t think I have ever disagreed so strongly with a comment on the Gasroom.

• I don’t agree with you very often but on this point, I totally agree. Low is an excellent player and will go onto bigger and better things. Hopefully we make loads of money out of him.

• I’m puzzled as to what evidence you may have seen on which to base your contention that Ravizolli is not as good as Bishop.

And hoping that the signing of Shamal George will “force” Ravizolli to improve implies that he’s not trying to do his very best already which I’m quite sure he is.

• We’re not going to have paid a (potentially record-breaking) transfer fee for a keeper to sit in the bench. George will be first choice goalkeeper.

• It’s not potentially record breaking it’s a five figure deal. Our record is £200k.

• Shamal George a Wanderer? 

Wycombe Wanderers have made a move to land Livingston No. 1 Shamal George.

The English League One outfit have opened talks with the Lions to land their goalkeeper.

Wanderers are prepared to pay a five figure fee to land the 26-year-old.

George moved to Livi from Colchester two years ago.

The former Liverpool youngster has been a top performer for Davie Martindale’s side.

It would be a major blow to Livi to lose their showstopper as they look to get back to the Premiership at the first time of asking.

Livingston do have French keeper Jerome Prior as a back-up keeper.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/transfer-news-live-rangers-celtic-33537024

• Eh I trust the Gasman more than the Daily Record.

• It’s all just speculation anyway given the fee is undisclosed.

• edited September 1

It wasn’t Low’s best effort yesterday but employing a marginally higher back line in the first half caught him out multiple times. I think his struggle came as a consequence of the tactical approach rather than his own ability. Joe Low has probably been our best defender over the last 12 months. I wouldn’t be dropping him any time soon, especially when Hartridge has been so poor and Low has been excellent on both left and right side for us in different formations and layouts.

• Joe Low is a superb defender and we are so lucky to have him.

• Ridiculous to have to defend Joe Low but he’s our best defender. Taff is also superb but can’t be relied on to play a season so to me Low has to be the rock we build our defence around. Technically I think Hartridge is clearly decent but I do worry about our organisation skills at the back. Maybe getting a few games together as a unit will help. In our promotion year Charles and Stewart were pretty much ever present and with JJ on the left consistently worked wonders.

• I think you have hit the nail on the head there @TheAndyGrahamFanClub . We have had to shuffle our back line and we haven’t had a chance for Joe Low to forge a partnership. In our 5 games the back line has continuously changed. Maybe getting Taylor in will mean Low and Taylor can forge a decent partnership. I do hope so.

• I think the guy slating Low and all the side (bar Udoh) simply had a bad day. The performance wasn’t that poor. It was average and a decent point. Some of the passing has improved dramatically. I agree that we haven’t found the midfield balance yet but all this pundit waffle about Scowen as a 6,8,10 whatever … he’s not a total clogger. He defends our half magnificently but can also play a pass and has the ability to stretch defences. He lacks pace and finishing so I prefer him a bit deeper but give the bloke some credit!

• No more tranfers and no football for two weeks.

Bum.

• Joe Low is our best defender, by a mile atm. I'm just happy we've been able to hang onto him ! He's now consistently in the Welsh squad, so bound to be some Championship clubs sniffing around

• I do think there has been some harsh criticism on the performance yesterday . Obviously not the best day but various legitimate reasons for that as have been mentioned . The general passing standard is far superior to previous years, the fact that we are scoring 2 goals in every game apart from Wimbledon is a good sign. We have some really good players in our squad and with the two new players even better. Lots of positives and a point away is always a good result especially at Blackpool.

• 4 games 4 points 8 scored 9 conceded. Decent transfer business and unlucky with injuries.

Assuming the injuries don’t mount up further, I’m remaining confident.

• 8 conceded isn't it?

When the fixtures came out I'm sure I wasn't the only one worried we might be bottom after the opening 4 games. Think we've done okay so far.

• It’s ironic really that a great number of Gasroomers are disappointed with the result yesterday, yet Blackpool had a brilliant home record last season, have been active in the transfer market and are a big club in relation to ourselves.

Although it wasn’t a pretty performance we came away with a point 👍.

• They lost only three (3) games at home last season.

That’s if we can trust the word of the anonymous Sky+ commentator.

• Embarrassing conduct doesn’t equal embarrassing performance. I stand by my original comment too.

• To be clear, Joe Low’s performance yesterday wasn’t good enough and he should be dropped for the next game.

Other opinions are available.

Those trying to argue we played a good side yesterday, is that the same Blackpool that sacked their manager ten days ago?

• If you drop players just because they have one below average game you will be making several changes every week. Scowen was also below his best yesterday, do you suggest dropping arguably our most important player because he had an off day? You said that Low wasn’t good enough, you didn’t qualify that by saying against Blackpool.

• I have just qualified it.

Josh Scowen has consistently performed to a high standard for a number of years and the full debuts of two new signings in a muddled midfield three played a part in his sub-par showing.

• You only qualified it after your original comment.

Low has consistently performed to a high standard ever since he joined us and as others-including the manager-have pointed out, he was asked to play in a slightly different way yesterday which may have contributed to his below par performance. The point is, he is an excellent defender who does not deserve to be dropped because he has one off day in a game where several players were below their best.