Skip to content

Rumour Mill

Comments

• Sensible recruitment policy then whop 500k bids in on the last day?

Seems a bit madcap if true.

• FWIW the tweet doesn't suggest the bid was actually made today.

• Having watched a 5 minute Youtube highlights video my opinion is......not worth one million.

• edited August 30

Talksport claim Birmingham have made a 9 million quid bid for Fulham's Jay Stansfield. Blimey.

• Perhaps they are assembling a couple of teams, one to pick up three points against the weaker teams in the league and to play pizza, keeping the other fresh for beating the main league rivals and having a serious tilt at the two major cup competitions.

• Birmingham City have also signed Scott Wright from Rangers but brought significant sums in with the sales of Jordan James, Juninho Bacuna and Siriki Dembele and Koji Miyoshi is likely to be sold today too.

• Wiredu would be a great signing but there's no way we can match Fleetwood's (over?) valuation of him.

As i was saying to @Midlander yesterday, it's great see us willing to spend money to match our owner's expectations.

• edited August 30

This is going to go one of two ways by this time tomorrow morning:

1. The club announce this as a statement of intent as a marquee signing based on Data Analysis that the outlay is 100% worth it given his age and projected career trajectory. The younger and more naive fans within our fan base start frothing at the mouth that we have entered the Football Manager era of Wycombe Wanderers and we can compete with anyone.
    2. Or, this will be one of the wackiest rumours to come out about WWFC in recent years and it was never on the cards. And we’ll all wonder why we gave it any serious thought.
  • Is this the owner’s actual money or is it a Steve Hayes ‘don’t worry about the money’ type deal? It’d be nice to know whose money is allegedly being offered.

• I popped on to see if we’d signed “the player” and my brief skim through suggest we’re about to spend a million on a Fleetwood CB. Bring him back on the coach from Blackpool Matty!

• Is there not a 3rd option?

We were in, couldn't agree a fee and it didn't happen?

• It's MLs money clearly, the football club doesn't have £500k sat doing nothing in the bank.

As with the Steve Hayes era, it's going to all be about the size of the mess ML leaves the club in when he gets bored.

Sadly we - as supporters - have even less influence now than then over spending. Enjoy the ride while you can because hitting the buffers at the end might be painful.

• Don't worry. As a billionaire from Central Asia Lomtadze probably lives in Dubai. I still have a copy of The Knowhow Book of Spycraft so can disguise myself as a very old man and can hang around the Palm Jumeirah until I see him (This might take some time as the number of chubby Central Asian billionaires is off the scale in that part of the world). I'll do a 'Couhig' on him and get him to sign something that commits him to the club forever.

This might sound farfetched but it was only 9 months ago when people thought the Cowley brothers were going to be our owner-managers.

• edited August 30

The way I read the speculation was:

• bids of £x and £x+y
    • from Wycombe & another League 1 club

so ours could have been the lower of the two and out bid by a ‘bigger’ club with deeper pockets so we backed away?

• edited August 30

Of course. There’s an about million options but the polarising nature of how things are seen within football fan community, imho, it will land one of two ways. The first is over excitement in the signing and convenient amnesia when it comes to how the f*@& we can (longer term) afford 500k+ signings , or “we didn’t want that player anyway” dismissal of any likelihood of it being real.

The reality, as ever, is probably somewhere in the middle. we’re interested and put off by the valuation so it’s not going to happen. But football and forums rarely fill pages with sensible views and discussions without suddenly veering to the extremes

• Ridiculous I know but I am beside myself with excitement as the deadline approaches.

Could I please ask football's best-loved Media Team to post once they know business has been concluded.

I don't want to oversleep and miss the match against The Tangerines.

F.A.O Mr Kipper - keep up the great work.

• It was £10M but Fulham turned the offer down.

• The thought of signing player x for £500k on the one hand horrifies me. But then I look at Peterborough. They have a great reputation of signing players for big money and then selling them for bigger money and getting even more money down the line. If we have the working capital to sign a player at the right age that we think we can improve and sell then this is the new future I guess.

• I would look at this slightly differently.

Our owner is wealthier than any other L1 club owner, and £500k represents around 0.01% of his net worth - equivalent to the average fan spending 10p.

So he could, if so minded, authorise the purchase of a whole raft of Championship quality players, and stick two fingers up to the likes of Birmingham, Wrexham, etc., while we crush all opposition and cruise to promotion.

Whether he will or not, remains to be seen.

• From the interview with Rice and the whole discrete way the takeover and transition has been handled to date I think there is no way he would behave in such a 'crass' way. Just because you, doesn't mean you should etc. But investing in talent that can improve your team AND have a sell on value in the future based on data of course is a sound business strategy.

• I think this is the first transfer deadline day we (as supporters) have ever been able to actually participate (well in spirit) in.

In the past it has been all about whether we may lose someone vs potential loans and free transfers. Now we (theoretically at least) can talk (semi) realistically about £1/2 million bids!

Personally. other than the GK rumour (which does seem to have legs) i don't think we will see anything particularly exciting and any perceived gaps will be filled by the odd loanee and 'development' sort of player.

• Fulham have already gone on record as saying that he is in their plans for this season so it would be mad for him to drop two leagues. They might accept it but if I was him, I would be rejecting it once I’ve used it as bargaining for a new contract.

• looks like we are signing Caleb Taylor from West Brom on loan, 21 year old CB...likely meaning that Skura pushed down pecking order which will be a shame

• According to a West Brom fan on another forum he played well for Northampton but then he went to Bolton where things didn't go so well for him apparently.

• Incorrect. The Barnsley owners are worth £9.1b, Birmingham owner £9.75b and the Huddersfield owner's wealth is unknown but he recently sold some of his shares for £6.8b. In League 2 the MK Dons new owner is worth £10b.

• How much we pay isn't the Biggie for me it's about us having a choice, previously we were only after frees and loans but seemingly only where everyone else had been offered them and turned them down, We offer a good learning ground for the very best youngsters now and if we can jump the queue or pick off the odd player we couldn't before I'm happy.

Maybe less fighting spirit than before but no substitute for having good players so it's exciting.

With ML in charge it's really difficult to know what to expect but positive noises so far.